I'm buyin' a Greenforce

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rawls

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all...

Ok...I have pretty much decided that I am going to purchase either a Greenforce FII 10 watt HID or a FII 21 watt HID...Since these lights are D*** costly...I would appreciate hearing from any of you that own, or have owned, a Greenforce as well as any problems that you may have had, before I finalize the buy...Thanks a bunch...

Bobby

I used a borrowed GreenForce in Mexico earlier this year for a few dives. I liked it a lot. Since then I have had the chance to use some other canister lights, as well. I think you'll be happy with it.

If you are still just in the looking around stage, the Salvo makes a great canister light.

Jeff

I own a FII 10w HID and I like it a lot for the diving I do.

I personally like the 10w light because the burn times are acceptable and the animals don't run away from you. I've tried brighter lights but I don't like them. The animals are visibly disturbed by a very bright light. Many of them will flee a 21w light and in the case of animals like crabs it would appear to physically hurt them.

In addition, the 10w/FII combination gives you a long enough burn time for two longish dives. The 21w light will only burn for about 1:45min with that canister, which is long enough for one dive but not for two.

IIRC you can buy heads with two different focus angles from Greenforce. Buy the narrow one if you go with the 10w version. You'll need that in poor viz or during the day. With the 21w version, you should probably buy the wide-angle one to avoid cooking the eyes out of the animals.

In terms of reliability, the greenforce lights are good. No complaints. The ballast could be a little more robust for extremely cold water (like around the freezing point) but for most applications it'd give it the thumbs up.

R..

jtoorish:
If you are still just in the looking around stage, the Salvo makes a great canister light.
I second that.

rawls:
Hello all...

Ok...I have pretty much decided that I am going to purchase either a Greenforce FII 10 watt HID or a FII 21 watt HID...Since these lights are D*** costly...I would appreciate hearing from any of you that own, or have owned, a Greenforce as well as any problems that you may have had, before I finalize the buy...Thanks a bunch...

Bobby
I own a fII tristar LED and was going to buy the 10W HID head as well but the LED is working so well I haven't bothered. My greenforce light is rock solid.

Thank everyone for your input...I did look up the other lights, but I stuck with the Greenforce and ordered the FII umbilical 10 watt HID today. Can't wait to get it in...

PM to Diver0001...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom