I'm curious about sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember, there is single tank sidemount as well.

I absolutely LOVE single tank side mount. I will probably be selling my Halcyon BPW combo in the future because of it. Not ready to get rid of my BM BPW combo yet, because I still think it is a great tool to have, but single tank no question.

Thanks good to know, how that risk was addressed. Have to think twice about this now. I like the pros that sidemounts offer, but spending more effort on gas mangement seems like a big con.

Most of my dives involve 3 regulator switches over 1.5-2.5 hour long dive (not including switching to a decompression cylinder). As has been stated already, you should be monitoring your SPG anyway. There's very little effort to gas management in sidemount.

What's your setup in single tank?

Mostly, as in what do you do for an octo?

with my particular setup, my octo is on a 7ft hose with the excess of the hose banded to the tank with a couple inner tube pieces.

What's your setup in single tank?

Mostly, as in what do you do for an octo?

I run my tanks on my right side. So I keep my inflator, SPG, and bungees backup just like in my twin tank setup. I add a 7 foot hose and do two wraps down the tank then up in front of my shoulder and behind my neck in to my mouth. Just like I would on a back mount setup. Donation with the long hose is still just like normal.

Here in the very simplest terms is A BASIC method to manage gas with SM

Begin with similar volumes in each cylinder.
Breathe one sixth of starting volume in cylinder A (A=2500, B=3000)
Switch regs
Breathe one third of starting volume in cylinder B (A=2500, B=2000)
Switch regs
Breathe one sixth of starting volume in cylinder A, TURN DIVE (A=2000, B=2000)
Breathe an additional one sixth of starting volume from cylinder A (it now contains three sixths (1/2) of starting volume (A=1500, B=2000)
Switch regs
continue to breath from cylinder B until exit (end of dive) (A=1500, B=1500)

if at some point during exit your buddy needs gas, she will have access to at minimum one half of starting volume
Only THREE reg switches

Come out and take part in a SM clinic at Dutch Springs in the Fall...
That's 50% more complicated than it needs to be.

Begin with similar volumes/pressures in each cylinder (we will say you have 2 AL 80s at 3000 psi starting pressure).
Breathe one third of starting volume in cylinder A (1000 psi, so you now have A=2000, and B=3000)
Switch regs
Breathe one third of starting volume in cylinder B (1000 psi, so you now have A=2000 and B=2000 psi)
Turn the dive
Continue breathing another third off Cylinder B (another 1000 psi, so now you have A=2000 and B=1000)
Switch regs
Breathe a second third out of tank A to the end of the dive, (1000 psi, so you now have A=1000 and B=1000 as a reserve at the end of the dive).

That's just 2 reg switches and it ensures that:

1) At the point of maximum penetration or distance where you turn the dive, the volume in each tank is equal to the total volume you used from both tanks to get there.
2) you never have a differential between tanks of more than 1000 psi, so lateral trim is not a significant issue,
3) you have ample reserve at the end of the dive, and
4) allows you to adjust the reserve up or down with only 2 reg switches and only 2 pressure numbers to remember.

If a 1000 psi per side is too much ( 50 cu ft in this case) in a purely recreational setting, you could reduce it by using larger "thirds" and switching accordingly. 1200 psi would give you "thirds" would leave you with pressure of 1) 1800, 3000, 2) 1800, 600, and 3) 600, 600, for a 600 per side reserve with a 30 cu ft total reserve with 15 cu ft in each tank.

On the other hand in a technical diving situation if a 50 cu ft (1/3rd) reserve is too small, you can reduce the "thirds" you use. In this case if you used 800 psi "thirds" you'd get switch pressures of 1) 2200, 3000, 2) 2200, 1400, and 3) 1400, 1400, leaving a 72 cu ft reserve. So you have the flexibility of tailoring the reserve requirements to the specific dive.

Where I may choose to use 750 psi thirds (A=2250, B=3000), (A=2250, B=1500) and (A=1500, B=1500) like doppler's example, in a recreational setting, would be when diving side mount with AL 80s on a two tank/two dive recreational boat trip. If I do this on the first dive, I use 77 cu ft - a full AL 80's worth of gas, but with an enormous 50% reserve for the first dive. On the second dive, I'll switch to 500 psi thirds - (A=1000, B=1500), (A=1000, B=500), and (A=500, B=500), still giving me 52 cu ft to use on dive 2 with a 25 cu ft reserve. It works well as the greater gas used on dive one maximizes the available NDL on what is usually a deeper first dive. Ad the reduced gas used on dive 2 normally works better with the shallower depths or shorter NDLs you have on dive two, and doubles the reserve you'd have available compared to a single tank rec diver getting out of the water with 500 psi.

-----

Too many SM divers make the whole gas switch thing too complicated and use approaches that do not ensure an equal distribution of gas at the pint of max penetration, or require frequent reg switches to make that happen. I still prefer to minimize the workload, maximize the gas planing benefits, minimize the number of SPG checks and the risk of making an error by not making any more gas switches than I have to. But some divers still prefer to use an every 500 psi approach. To each his own, but be sure to at least understand why you do what you do as well as the pros and cons.

----

Single tank side mount is also a great lighter and lower drag option on a recreational dive, but it has some limitations. With anything other than an AL 80 or an AL72 the lateral trim starts to become an issue and it won't work well with most steel tanks due to either the initial excessive negative buoyancy of the tank and/or the larger swing weight of the tank during the dive.

If you use a pair of 100 cu ft steel tanks in the recreational example above, you'll have bags of gas compared to an AL 80 on each dive, plus a fantastic reserve on each dive, and the configuration is still very clean in the water.

Thanks good to know, how that risk was addressed. Have to think twice about this now. I like the pros that sidemounts offer, but spending more effort on gas mangement seems like a big con.

I don't see the "big con" in it?!?

As a prudent, aware diver you'll be checking your SPGs regularly... say, at least, every 20 bar consumed or so?

As a qualified Open Water diver, or above, you'll be very comfortable with removing and replacing a regulator.

So.. "Big con" is simply gauge awareness and occasional reg swap. Big? Really? :wink:

More info on Sidemount Diving: Andy's Sidemount Diving Course Notes

You check your SPG regularly right? No difference here, just have a quick glance at what's in your cylinders and every 20-30bar (for me, might be more or less for those who prefer different), swap your regs over, you should have enough left to get you and a buddy to the surface with minimal effort. (Rule of thirds ideology here and basically not stretching your gas out to the bare limits.)

A benefit of this is that it keeps your mind active and on the ball.

I don't see the "big con" in it?!?

As a prudent, aware diver you'll be checking your SPGs regularly... say, at least, every 20 bar consumed or so?

As a qualified Open Water diver, or above, you'll be very comfortable with removing and replacing a regulator.

So.. "Big con" is simply gauge awareness and occasional reg swap. Big? Really? :wink:

More info on Sidemount Diving: Andy's Sidemount Diving Course Notes
To add to this a bit, the major difference is looking at one SPG versus 2. And to be honest on most dives, I look right around the time I know I have to switch, as I know my SAC rate, the depth, my work load, etc and over time a diver who pays attention along the way becomes very good at predicting exactly how much gas he or she should have left at any given time. Looking at the SPG is just a cross check on the mental calculation that's constantly running, and to be honest I normally only look at it maybe 3-4 times on a 90-120 minute dive, to confirm the pressures at the reg switches and turn.

In a recreational side mount situation with AL 80s, AL 72s or steel 72s you also get a not so subtle reminder of low tank pressure in the form of the tank getting very light and in the case of AL tanks, light in the tail. It would be almost impossible to miss that signal even if you didn't have an SPG.

Plus you now need to carry down your tanks separately to the dive site (if land based) then retrieve everything and go diving. It lowers you vertical profile and is nice in the water, but too many extra trips for me, and relearning if your back mount.
It also means your hard clipping your light and kinda complicates the long hose deployment in certain situations (long hose stowed, and tank off as some do)
I don't dive it other than some trial stuff.
So...
To each their own..
If you want, go for it, learn how to rock it, but realize there is a different config for every diver in SM basically so team diving can get interesting if it goes south.

Most Sm divers love it and never want to go back, I just don't see the need to eliminate the manifold and I hate doing multiple trips in a dry suit when it's 100 degrees and humid. But that's me.

Not trying to rain on anything here, but counter points can be useful...Didn't notice the forum I was in. So if your into it, have fun...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom