Im done supporting my LDS (my money and I are gone)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If my LDS charges more ... That's OK , if It's not excessively so ... there are other things to be had there that you can't put a dollar amount on
But , if they give me p** poor service I am not going back there

The original post was about poor service and not standing for it anymore

Any one here continuing to support one (a LDS) that doesn't care if you come or go, and makes it plain that they feel that way, if you have another one you can go to?

Edit: Larry ... how about over here on the Left Coast? :D

diveroflove:
Here is the history with me and my LDS. I purchased over $1500 dollers of equipment from them in about a years time, I know for some of you thats not alot but for me it is when I could have gotten a better deal over the net. So after purchasing all that gear one day I decide to rent a tank from him. So they are closed on the weekend so he tries to charge me for an extra day becuase he says that I am having it for 2 days. So I told hom that if I try to return it on time and he is closed that is not my problem, he seemed to dissagree so I so ok fine whatever, I rented 2 tanks that day and I payed for twice what I should have payed normaly, I decide im going to support my LDS. So when I return the tanks I dont expect to get me money back (I dont) I did not use one of the tanks because buddy did not have 1 so I ask if he can give me a store credit or something for next time, So I end up paying twice what I should have and giving him back a non used tank at about 3100 PSI. Thanks LDS You no longer have my cash, and I hope you go out of buisness

I think they were way off on the two day rental but very correct in still charging you for an unused tank.

At the shop I work for guys rent 3 or 4 tanks and come back with one full one. Hey we could have rented it to someone else so you pay.

But we're also closed on Sunday so if you want gear for the weekend, you pick it up friday night, pay the fee for saturday and bring it back monday, when we're open, before closing.

The most extreme case was a diver who rented two tanks and brought back just one. Well our paperwork was screwed up so we had no idea where this missing tank went to. It was in his closest. During the middle of the night, about 18 months after he took it, the burst disk blew and of course scared the you know what out of him. He called the shop in the morning complaining about our faulty gear and how it nearly gave him a heart attack.

We explained that in any rental facility if you rent any gear you pay for it by the day, if you use it or not.

He wasn't happy about that but actually bought two new tanks of his own.

I suspect in a couple of years, when another burst disk goes, we'll hear another complaint :)

All people are asking for is fair pricing and good service. If the LDS can't provide that, and go out of buisness....They won't be missed...
One other question to ponder...What about the LDS owner who sells to all his customers to the point where they depend on his products and services and then quits, closes the doors, retires. Leaving all the customers "standed".......Loyalty in buisness is over rated.

Up here in Canada our great Government has seen fit to impose tax on the inventory a supplier keeps. Lovely eh! (threw the "eh" in there for you) This means that even though we have quite a variety of diving all over the place you really have to seach far and wide for a tank fill let alone a well stocked dive shop. Most of the shops have to order items and hopefully most will try and give you a break. Sometimes its the shipping that kills them on price matching and sometimes its not having the item in stock.

I have a great LDS and I know them well enough to get a good deal on a few things and I always get a solid air fill. I feel some of thier pain, however, when winter settles in and customers vanish. In those times where else do you go but the internet?? Another shop that I have actually driven 4 hours to get too has a great selection and stocks everything from Tec to Rec. He has alot of stock, however, he has one of those niche locations and also is like a Canadian Larry, he sells on the net. Because of the volume he can offer lots of items at a great price (for Canada).

I couldn't see either shop dinging a diver for a two day rental when they were closed but the full bottle is a given charge. I could even see the store empty the bottle and re-fill it just to ensure it was properly filled by them. Thus a two bottle charge.

Perhaps the LDS charging for the two days should have a sign up stating the policy or have it on your reciept but you could do a Friday night dive and then a Saturday splash making for two dives two days.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom