I'm hooked.... how to progress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor808

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, I'm not a super frequent diver. Probably 40-50 dives over 7 years. PADI Advanced Open Water is the furthest I've progressed.

But, in the past year I got introduced to the cenotes in the Yucatan. I love diving in them, and honestly the most depressing part is staring longingly at the jumpers with the big mean signs saying "Cave divers only past here".

So.... I need to get a level of certification necessary to get past those signs.

What would be the recommended path for this? I don't think PADI even has cave cert (that I've been able to find online). My local is SSI (it's SF, so all I've used them for is a Monterrey dive and my Nitrox), but is there any value to pursuing the curriculum here in the Bay Area, or should I just do 2 or 3 day chunks when I manage to visit somewhere with caverns and caves?

It’s pretty hard to learn to cave dive if you aren’t in a cave.

If you are a frequent traveler to areas with active cave diving opportunities, just do the standard progression in bite size chunks. Cavern, Intro, apprentice, full cave. This journey can take multiple trips over several years if you consider dives outside of class at your certified level. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

As far as agency, most of the better cave instructors teach for multiple agencies...iantd, TDI, NSS-CDS, etc...GUE is also an option...but at least where I’m at instructors are hard to come by. I believe they post their worldwide schedule online...location, class and instructor.

t’s pretty hard to learn to cave dive if you aren’t in a cave.

.... huh.... I never thought of that.

(I kid)

But no, in semi-seriousness... sidemount was recommended to me by the dive guide I've used on my past few cenote dives. That is something I could probably clear out without having to waste days of prime vacation time. But would that screw up my progression? If I took sidemount here in the bay area with my local, would I need to do the rest of my progression (cavern/intro/apprentice) as SSI or is that completely separate? Do the technical agencies all recognize the other, so a cavern with SSI wouldn't preclude me from an intro with some other agency?

Also... it was highly recommended I buy my own sidemount rig for a sidemount course... is that sound advice? (and the recommendation was from someone in the razor camp.... however that may impact their opinion )

Ideally you'll move nearer to caves. The issue with cave diving is the skills needed are perishable.

It's fine to do the training but unless the learned procedures are practiced regularly it's quite easy to get hurt badly in a cave. It's an unforgiving environment.

Doesn't mean you can't do a cavern course next time you're in Mexico and take further training each time you're south. You can enjoy guided cave dives quite nicely particularly if you enjoy drills in your local environment between trips to a cave.

In cave diving there seems a very heavy emphasis on the individual instructors and less on the agency. Some phone calls when you're ready should help sort out which training methods and philosophies match well with your personality.

I had my heart set on cave diving 18 years before I was able to rearrange life sufficiently so I can do it in a way I'm comfortable with the risks involved in this challenging sort of diving...

I love it.
Cameron

Sidemount is great for diving in bedding planes...and a select few caves. For every cave that is only accessible in SM there are 20 nearby that are perfectly accessible in backmount. Backmount is arguably simpler from both a configuration standpoint and more intuitive for a diver that has never done anything but single tank diving.

Would learning sidemount locally do you any good in the caves? Maybe...if you learn it from someone who actually has a clue. Most SM divers I see in the ocean are a train wreck...and I’m sure someone failed them miserably during training(assuming they got training).

My journey to becoming a Cave diver started much the same as your might. All started by ocean diving in Mexico. One day it was too windy to dive in the ocean so the dive shop suggested a Cenote. Didn't know what that was at the time. My first dive in the cenote and I knew right away this was what I wanted to pursue. Most divers for Mexico Cenotes either start as Sidemount or do both. I would suggest the sidemount vs back mount. but your choice. Got all of my training from Protec Tulum or Protec Playa. Both are first class shops. They are the XDeep people. One of the owners is the designer for that kit. Ask them your questions. What certs you have. what your interested in. etc. Will be down there for 20 days in June. Getting excited!! Enjoy the journey.

It’s pretty hard to learn to cave dive if you aren’t in a cave.

Sure, but it's also pretty hard to learn to cave dive if you don't first know how to dive well, and that you can absolutely learn at home.

Best suggestion I can offer is to take a Fundamentals class from Beto Nava. He teaches out of the Bay Area / Monterey, and he's a phenomenal instructor and incredible cave diver. He'll teach you the basics of what you need to know before you can think about cave training. The class requires backmount gear with standard GUE equipment, but the fundamental skills translate to any configuration. Single tank is fine to start.

Personally, while I do enjoy sidemount in Mexico, I think it's a poor configuration choice for Monterey. However, if you really want to dive sidemount here, look up Lexi Fraser. She teaches at Bamboo Reef SF, which based upon your description I think is your local shop. She's a good cave diver and will help you learn basic sidemount skills properly.

Expect to invest a lot of effort, time, money, and vacation... Even getting to a beginner level is a pretty huge undertaking.

If I took sidemount here in the bay area with my local, would I need to do the rest of my progression (cavern/intro/apprentice) as SSI or is that completely separate? Do the technical agencies all recognize the other, so a cavern with SSI wouldn't preclude me from an intro with some other agency?

Most often, the agency on your card does not make a huge difference. GUE is the only exception, and they won't accept prerequisite training done elsewhere. As an agency, their base level standards also tend to exceed the others.

However, any decent instructor with any agency will insist on re-teaching skills that are not up to a very high standard. It doesn't matter who issued your card.

So.... I need to get a level of certification necessary to get past those signs.

I am very much a beginner myself, but if I can offer one suggestion, worry less about the card. What you need are the skills to plan and execute a safe dive and make it out unharmed (alive) if all hell breaks loose. It's a lot more than the certification, and it isn't something you'll bang out in 2-3 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom