I’m new and need some help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pippam

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi

My husband and I have recently qualified in Padi Open Water doing the pool and e-learning in England and then the training dives in Barbados. Whilst we were in Barbados we did not need a dive computer as the dive master took us under his wing once we were qualified.

We are going to Zanzibar in a couple of weeks so I have bought my husband and I Aqualung i300c dive computers. They have arrived and I have eagerly opened the box read the instructions, watched numerous Youtube videos and still feel none the wiser, help!

It is probably a really basic question for all of you experienced divers but do I have to actually programme a dive in or just strap to my wrist, giant stride in and the computer will then do its stuff??

TIA

You should be familiar with the screens, what information is where, and what alarms may activate. But if you are diving air and not nitrox, there shouldn't be much to program, other than maybe the date.

It might help if you can get some pool time at home to better familiarize yourself with the information on the screen.

If you are diving with nitrox, you will need to know how to program those settings.

Enjoy your dives!

or just strap to my wrist, giant stride in and the computer will then do its stuff??
That's basically it. Put the computer in dive mode (long press upper left button for the i300c) and jump in. The computer will automatically start to calculate your diving once you start your descent.
If you dive with air there's really nothing much else to do. The i300c is by default configured for a safety stop. It is of course advisable to go through all settings (e.g. diving alarms, salt/fresh water, etc.) so you become familiar with your computer and understand it better but there's not much to it really: the magic is done automatically for you.

Congrats on your qualifications, good thinking to buy your own computer and enjoy the diving!

Check page 7 in the i300c UK manual for activation, is very simple. Once the metal on the i300c becomes wet it starts to calculate your dive. Remember the computer may go to sleep mode after 2 hours of inactivity, but continues to calculate your no fly time for the next 24 hours. You can always go thru the menu and disable the auto activation (not recommended at this time)

Not sure if this is true for your specific computer, but most allow you to dial up the conservatism of the algorithm for additional peace of mind.

I believe there is a delay between joining Scubaboard and selling items. Or there should be by now due to people popping on with fraud sales and then disappearing.
If you want to buy something it is a good idea to check how many years someone has been around, how many thousand posts, etc.

Put the computer in dive mode (long press upper left button for the i300c)
long press of upper left button to put in dive mode is for the i200c! Sorry. Not sure about i300c.

The problem with dive computer manuals is that you get much, much more information than you will ever need, and that flood of information drowns out the stuff you really do need.

For some of it, you don't even need the manual. All computers will show you the basic information you need for a normal dive continually, and even if you have never seen the one you are using when you look at it the first time, you should have no trouble seeing the numbers telling you your current depth, the time of the dive so far, your maximum depth, and the amount of no decompression dive (NDL) time remaining. I hope your instruction taught you that the NDL will change with depth as you dive. If it shows you have only 8 minutes left at your current depth, and you ascent 20 feet, it may now show you have 43 minutes left.

While you don't need to know much about your specific computer to figure that stuff out, there are things you should specifically look for in the manual before setting out. If you exceed the NDL, you will need to do a decompression stop. Your computer will show you that, but different computers do that differently. You need to know how your computer will guide you to the surface in that event. You will also later want to know how to access the dive log.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom