I'm off to Vortex Springs finally!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsexton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After being canceled three times I'm finally off to Vortex Springs for a little diving!

It's been way too long since I've been in the water I can't wait to get there! :monkeydan

I'm hoping this is my kickoff to the season so all you guys with drysuits be ready for me to bug you to go diving when I get back!

It has to be my season kickoff because I'm going to have to start mowing season real soon.:wink:

Have a great time. I've heard good things about Vortex since the new mgmt has taken over. Are you making the quick hop down to Panama City for some salt water diving?

I just got back from there last week. Things looked to be in real good shape (for my first time there). The water was a solid 68 degrees while we where there (I was assisting with some OW checkout dives:14:). My buddy & I also did a little salt water diving while down there. He wound up booking us on some off shore diving to some wrecks. One was the Gray Ghost (about 25mi off shore & the other was the twin tugs (2 tug boats sunken on top of each other). Some real good dives in the 80- 115ft range. However I did manage to succumb to Mal de Mer big time while on the boat & thought I was going to puke up my toe nails. Whew,.... I don't EVER want to go through that again.:shakehead: The one warning I would give you, is to make sure you bring some sun screen. In 3 days time, I managed to get a real good burn on my hands & face (the rest of me was in a drysuit most of the time- I have really good tan lines where my drysuit seals ended:rofl3:). Have fun!!!!

Tammy,

You lasted a full week on Blackbeards without getting sick but "succumb to Mal de Mer big time" on a daytrip:l::l::l::l::l::l: in Panama City! :l:
Just giving you a hard time!

Who did you go out with in Panama City?

Was there last weekend, sweet bank system they have set up. They have made a lot of improvements and are planning on making more. Get there early to avoid the rush and have a great time

Tammy,

You lasted a full week on Blackbeards without getting sick but "succumb to Mal de Mer big time" on a daytrip:l::l::l::l::l::l: in Panama City! :l:
Just giving you a hard time!

Who did you go out with in Panama City?

Yeah I know. :shakehead: What can I say? I've never been that sick before.

We went with an outfit called Dive Locker.

I primarily use Dive Locker when I'm down there. They've got a good operation.

Have a great time. I've heard good things about Vortex since the new mgmt has taken over. Are you making the quick hop down to Panama City for some salt water diving?

We dove at Vortex yesterday. They have made a few changes and have allot planned. Should be pretty nice when they are finished. The biggest change in the spring is that hey have removed all of the carpet. It looks much better all natural.

We're in Destin this morning and we're going to try to get in a couple of shore dives.

I primarily use Dive Locker when I'm down there. They've got a good operation.

Yes, I'll agree. Their operation was very good. They had a very solid plan to make sure all divers were aboard (roll call & face recognition of each individual). They also took my buddy & placed him with one of their Divemasters since he had no ocean or deep diving experience (that was only his 10th dive or so). I just found anther buddy (another single diver) & had a very good, but short dive (I had some residual nitrogen from diving with the classes) because the wreck was at 80- 110ft. On the second wreck dive my buddy aborted before he even got down with some mask issues & (even though some wouldn't agree) waved me on to join another group. I almost immediately found my buddy who came down to FL with me & the Divemaster he was assigned to. I hung out with them, but not for long as my buddy (the inexperienced one) got nervous about being at depth & was ready to start his ascent. At least I was able to get under the waves & escape the sea sickness for a while.

We dove at Vortex yesterday. They have made a few changes and have allot planned. Should be pretty nice when they are finished. The biggest change in the spring is that hey have removed all of the carpet. It looks much better all natural.

We're in Destin this morning and we're going to try to get in a couple of shore dives.

Dive one for me JP!! Looks like most of my diving will be limited to the cold Northern waters this year.

Back
Top Bottom