I'm planning a trip to West Palm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have family friends that live just outside of West Palm Beach and they invited me to visit anytime, so I'm going to take them up on it.
I'm going to bring my dive gear, but they don't dive.

I know absolutely nothing about Florida or the diving, never been there. I know the water is warmer and clearer than here (any place is).
Is there any diving around West Palm Beach? Boat charters? shore diving?
If there isn't then how far would I have to drive to the nearest diving?

What about camping and doing my own dive bum thing (after visiting with them), is that a possibility?
I was wanting to shoot some lionfish too. Does Florida allow out of state people to fish?
If so, can I get a fishing license by the day or week?
Do any of you locals have a problem with a California diver coming there and hunting lionfish? I don't want to step on any toes, but I've been reading a lot about the problem and want to do my part.
I thought it would be cool to try and survive on nothing but lionfish the whole time I'm there. I hear they're good eating, buttery and tender with great flavor.
I wouldn't mind meeting up with a few of you scubaboarders while I'm there too. I think it would be great!

What's the water temperature range throughout the year?
What's the dive shop situation around West Palm?
When is the on and off season?
I'll bring my rig, fins, mask and suit and probably rent tanks and weights.
Any shops out there rent steels or is it all AL80's. It really doesn't matter to me , I can make anything work, just asking.

I'm hoping somebody can help me out and point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Eric, there had BETTER be some diving around West Palm, because Peter and I are spending a week there in February :) There are definitely dive boats, and nearby is the Blue Heron Bridge, which has its own thread here, with a ton of really cool photographs.

I don't know when you are planning on going, but I'm sure I'll post a report of our trip.

Palm Beach County is one of the busiest dive centers in the nation. 30+ charter operations. Yes, you will need a non-resident fishing license to carry a spear-gun and hunt fish. You will receive many posts with more specific information. I am off to go biking...

I have family friends that live just outside of West Palm Beach and they invited me to visit anytime, so I'm going to take them up on it.
I'm going to bring my dive gear, but they don't dive. It's their loss.

I know absolutely nothing about Florida or the diving, never been there. I know the water is warmer and clearer than here (any place is).
Is there any diving around West Palm Beach? AWESOME diving
Boat charters? Many great charters in the area. I'll detail some below
shore diving? Yes, at the famous Blue Heron Bridge. Bracket your dive time at high tide. All of 18ft deep. Check out the BHB thread here on SB for photos and to find dive buds who know the intricacies of the dive site. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...-sagas-blue-heron-bridge-282.html#post5658052
If there isn't then how far would I have to drive to the nearest diving? Not far at all with so much diving in Palm Beach and Broward counties, but if you really feel like driving a couple hours, come to Key Largo. :wink:

What about camping and doing my own dive bum thing (after visiting with them), is that a possibility? Try John Dickinson State Park near Jupiter just north of WPB. Welcome to Florida State Parks

I was wanting to shoot some lionfish too. Does Florida allow out of state people to fish? Yes
If so, can I get a fishing license by the day or week? YES
Here's how to get it on-line.
FWC - License & Permit Information: Lifetime Licenses
Do any of you locals have a problem with a California diver coming there and hunting lionfish?
I don't want to step on any toes, but I've been reading a lot about the problem and want to do my part. I'm sure there are more than a few SBers who would be happy to join you and even give you some pointers!

I thought it would be cool to try and survive on nothing but lionfish the whole time I'm there. I hear they're good eating, buttery and tender with great flavor.
I wouldn't mind meeting up with a few of you scubaboarders while I'm there too. I think it would be great! There's always a friendly bunch of SB divers wanting to show off their own backyards to travelers.

What's the water temperature range throughout the year? Temps can range from mid60s to mid80s depending on time of year and occasional thermoclines.
What's the dive shop situation around West Palm? There are many well regarded shops in the area.
When is the on and off season? Off season? No such thing. Just the occasional off day or 2 when the weather is howling.
I'll bring my rig, fins, mask and suit and probably rent tanks and weights. Yep. good plan.
Any shops out there rent steels or is it all AL80's. A few steels can be found from time to time, but count on the usual AL80s, maybe an AL100. It really doesn't matter to me , I can make anything work, just asking.

I'm hoping somebody can help me out and point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

You will love diving in South Florida. Most of the diving is drift diving and the charter boats are excellent. You will need to deploy your SMB for pickup at the end of your dive, if you come-up ahead of the dive guide.

Check out Randy Jordan on Emerald Charters in www.emeraldcharters.com Jupiter - inventor of the liontamer www.liontamerusa.com and a very patient instructor, he'll even filet them and serve lionfish sashimi on the boat. Jupiter diving is deeper with more current than just a bit south in WPB

In WPB, the following are great:
A few sites (among the many) not to miss in WPB include the Corridor/Governor's walk, Breakers Reef, Juno Ledge, Shark Canyon.

Further south about 30-45 mins in Boynton Beach, is Underwater Explorers. www.diveboyntonbeach.com with SB's own ScubaKevDM and Wilsway who will take you to some awesome dive sites like the Castor, and Delray Ledges.

You'll have a blast! :D

You will love diving in South Florida. Most of the diving is drift diving and the charter boats are excellent. You will need to deploy your SMB for pickup at the end of your dive, if you come-up ahead of the dive guide.

Check out Randy Jordan on Emerald Charters in www.emeraldcharters.com Jupiter - inventor of the liontamer www.liontamerusa.com and a very patient instructor, he'll even filet them and serve lionfish sashimi on the boat. Jupiter diving is deeper with more current than just a bit south in WPB

In WPB, the following are great:
A few sites (among the many) not to miss in WPB include the Corridor/Governor's walk, Breakers Reef, Juno Ledge, Shark Canyon.

Further south about 30-45 mins in Boynton Beach, is Underwater Explorers. www.diveboyntonbeach.com with SB's own ScubaKevDM and Wilsway who will take you to some awesome dive sites like the Castor, and Delray Ledges.

You'll have a blast! :D

Wow, cool!!!

The last time I dove there was when we docked a boat at sailfish marina near peanut island. The tidal flow is crazy through there so check the schedule. I was bored and jumped in; you would not believe you were under a marina with the rays, angels, barracuda, and you can spend your time looking through the interesting things people drop off their yachts.

The others have spoken about the offshore drift diving. Its a crowded area with lots of traffic so make sure you are good with the smb.

Another thumbs' up for Underwater Explorers in Boynton Beach. I'd also like to recommend some new friends who I met and dove with in October, Bill and Mike Walker of Walkers Dive Charters (the boat is The Wetter The Better). My St. Croix friends dive with no one else when they are in SoFla.

Camping at Jonathan Dickinson State Park is AWESOME but...if you are tent camping, you do NOT want to be in the section where there are no trees (a big fire burned that camping section out a few years back. There are concrete pads for RVs and new bathrooms, but very little shade). Make sure you're in the "river campground". Even in an RV, you'll prefer the ambience of the "river campground". Definitely rent a kayak or canoe and enjoy the Loxahatchee River.

I hope we answered your questions...you're going to love diving Palm Beach County! Let us know when you're here, you just never know who may want to buddy up with you.

other operators that I've had positive experiences with (aside from the already noted Narcosis and Underwater Explorers)

Scuba Diving Palm Beach, Florida :: Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures

Scuba Diving in the Palm Beach area - Walkers Dive Charters

Scuba Diving Jupiter with Jupiter Dive Center, Scuba diving lessons at a PADI 5 Star facility, daily scuba diving trips in Jupiter, Florida.

Welcome to The Scuba Club, America's Only Country Club For Scuba Divers in West Palm Beach, FL

several shops in the area sell a small spear called the 'lionfish tamer' or something similar: I have seen them at ScubaWorks in Jupiter. I don't believe you need a fishing lic. to use these small spear-like-devices to kill lionfish. Please, kill as many of these pests as you can. Just don't kill anything else

More info on Blue Heron Bridge:

http://www.jamminbeach.com/

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom