I'm ready to go retro, double hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tahoeguy

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help me out guys,

I have been reading some of the forums on the double hose regs and I have learned that the "new Mistral" is crap, OK fine. Is the DA Aquamaster with the phoenix nossel the way to go? (got to have hp & lp ports). I checked out vintagedoublehose.com, limited selection, but that is understandable. What's a good rig going to cost? What other setups would be high quality? Some of you guys seem think that once someone dives a quality double hose rig it will become there regulator of choice, really?

Just in case anyone is wondering why anyone would want to do such a thing. I got certified in 1970 and I rember seeing the Royal Aquamaster in the U.S. Divers catalogs. I have never had the opportunity to try a double hose, but have allways wanted too.(you know, the Sea Hunt thing)

So then, you guys that dive the double hose rigs and know them and love them, if you give some addvice I would certainly appreceated it!

Thanks guys,

Tahoeguy

Your cost depends on a number of things. Some are fixed costs and you can make a list on VDH and add it up. Other wild cards:
The cost of your core may range from $50 - $150 as a general range.
Do you re-plate the cans and maybe a few other parts? Add $100.+
Do you need new hoses? Silicone or rubber?
Do you upgrade the diaphragm and cage valves? The duckbill is almost sure to need replacement.
In the "cost" do you include an inflater hose? Drysuit hose? Alternate second? SPG?

To put a number to your question I guess you are looking at $500. Give or take $150.

I waver between single and double hose for assorted reasons but it certainly breathes as well as my single hose, In addition to breathing nice it has a more natural feel since you are not as directly coupled to the delivery valve. My air usage is just as nice, I never get dry mouth and I feel a lot cooler when I'm wearing it!

If you have not seen this page it outlines creating my Phoenix.

Pete

I spent a bit over $600 on a PRAM in 2007, but that included custom labels and rechroming, new hose, new, MP and a silicone dipahragm in additon to about $300 for the rebuilt DA I started with a few years earlier before I added the phoenix nozzle and the full chrome and label treatment.

On the other hand, I got a rebuilt by Bryan Royal Aquamaster with new hoses and MP for $60 at an estate sale as well as a rebuilt DA for $50.

The other real risk here is that it can be addictive. I rebuild them myself now and I have seven USD double hose regs of various models and years.

A PRAM really is the way to go for a double hose for regular non-vintage type double hose diving. Otherwise I am a big fan of the Mistal (one of mine, vintage 1959, is in my avtar picture) and I actually prefer it to the DA, although it lacks a hookah port so there are no octo or power inflator options, so it ends up being a very vintage dive.

A banjo can be used to use an SPG on any double hose reg as long as the yoke is long enough to accommodate it. On short yoked regs, one of the older J or K valves with a 3/8" HP fitting built into the valve can be used for the SPG.

It isn't so much that the new Mistral is "crap" but that it was no improvement over the real deal heavy weight champ, the Royal Aqua Master. In fact, in most regards it is inferior and to make it worse, it is just ugly. Looks always count at some level.

You can rig HP and LP without the Phoenix mod. Hopefully there will be the occasional Phoenix release. It is obviously a small market and a high investment so it is reasoanble to spread them out to let the market recover.

Diving twin hose is different from single hose and true vintage is way different from what people do today. You should go slow and learn from a mentor or at least ask questions and try your first dives in a pool or controlled conditions. The New science of Skin and scuba, pre 73 editions are very useful as well.

N

I would suggest you consider finding a good later model DA, restore it to better than new and dive it for a while. If you get a later model with a long yoke you can add a banjo for HP and use a hooka adapter on the DA for your LP port..you are diving vintage, you really don't need more than one. Dive it that way until you can get a Phoenix to "upgrade" it. Cost? $100 +/- $50 for the reg, $150 for parts to get it dolled up with all new hoses, diaphram and other rubber parts and another $50 for the banjo and hooka adapter. You are going to want to replace these parts and if you upgrade to a Phoenix later they all will be reused. A Phoenix is going to run in the $200 range based on the last run. An additional cost is the repair work unless you are going to do it yourself.
Nemrod makes a good point, vintage diving and even diving a Phoenix with all modern equipment attached to it is different than with a single hose reg. Reg/tank placement is critical to reg performance unlike a single hose that is not effected by first stage location. It's a really good idea to find someone local who dives DH's are spend a few dives with them.
I really enjoy diving mine. I like the way they breath and the "hey that's a cool reg" factor is fun as well.
And they are addictive, my 6 and 7th ones are dissambled on the bench now, waiting on parts (and for me to decide exactly what I am going to do to them).

Thank you so much for the responce guys. I got my mind set and I'am going for it! It sounds like a lot of fun and I will be carefull and start off slow. I don't know anyone that dives a double hose, so I'm on my own. Nemrod, I will track down a pre 73 "New Sicience...." (I remember that book) If any of you guys are ever in Lake Tahoe, let me know. I can show you some great dives!

If you hear of any regs for sale that you think would fit the bill, please contact me.

Thanks again guys

Thank you so much for the responce guys. I got my mind set and I'am going for it! It sounds like a lot of fun and I will be carefull and start off slow. I don't know anyone that dives a double hose, so I'm on my own. Nemrod, I will track down a pre 73 "New Sicience...." (I remember that book) If any of you guys are ever in Lake Tahoe, let me know. I can show you some great dives!

If you hear of any regs for sale that you think would fit the bill, please contact me.

Thanks again guys

Welcome to vintage diving.

N

BTW, and hence forth it is your responsibility to track progress, the word in the vintage hood is that more Phoenix nozzles may arrive on Santa's sleigh.

N, vintage dive homie

Guess I know what to ask Santa for.

Keep an eye on VDH for regulators for sale. Bryan often has the best deals with regulators that are completely rebuilt and at a price that would be hard to beat if you add all what is in them. You may loose the fun of rebuilding it yourself, but it will get you in the water sooner.
Regulators : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

Then your second, third, etc. you can take your time and learn to rebuild it yourself. :wink:

Another way to obtain a double hose is buy a raffle ticket that benefits the American Heart Association in this link:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/se...age-mistral-regulator-raffle-benefit-aha.html
You can’t beat a vintage Mistral for $5. :D

As mentioned before diving a DH is different and I have seen people getting a bad first impression due to many factors, such as hard breathing due to poor tank position, the lack of purge valve and not being aware that you can purge just as easily by lifting the mouthpiece just higher than the diaphragm, etc.

I also recommend you join the vintage message boards VDH and VSS as well as participating in the Sea Hunt section of SB. All three web sites have great people with lots of good information to share. You may get to meet some relatively local vintage equipment diver this way…or you may decide to join us at one of the vintage dive events.

We also have the National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers (NAVED).

I am personally very happy on how the Phoenix has turned out…in some ways it has exceeded my expectations. The latest version (Mod II) has shown to be a slight performance improvement over the original Phoenix and the traditional Royal Aqua Master. The IP recovers faster during the inhalation cycle, assisting in air delivery during inhalation.

Welcome to vintage equipment diving and good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom