"I'm so conservative..."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was recently buddied up with someone I had never met on a 2-tank dive on a wreck at the limits of recreational diving. We chatted briefly before the first dive, and he indicated that he was an experienced diver. He also said he was very conservative in his diving. I noted that he was using nitrox, but I did not look at his MOD sticker. I saw that he was using a Shearwater Petrel, an advanced computer used primarily by tech divers. I was using 27% nitrox for the first dive, and I was using Shearwater computers myself.

The first dive took us to 130 feet, and I saw that his skills were very good--he did indeed look to be quite experienced. When I got to NDL, I indicated that and moved to the ascent line. He indicated that he was going to stay for a while longer. I was puzzled--how did he have more NDL than I did? Maybe he had 30% in his tank. Oh well, I was not his keeper. I started up the line, and he followed about 5 minutes later.

On the boat, I asked him about his computer settings. He said he had his computer set to GFs of 30/85, which he said was "very conservative." I realize that I am writing in the Basic Scuba forum and most people will not know what that means, but I will summarize: he had his computer on technical diving settings that would have ended his dive for NDLs sooner than mine. By saying it was "conservative," he meant that when he went into decompression, the computer would make the first stop deeper than a recreational computer would. I mentioned that although most people do indeed use the word that way, I personally do not agree with that usage--I think staying deeper longer on such a dive is not conservative.

Most importantly, in that conversation, I realized he did not understand what I was talking about. Even though we had just met, I resolved to pay closer attention to him on the next dive. On that dive, we did not go nearly as deep. As I approached NDL, we were on the far end of the wreck as I approached NDL. This time, instead of signalling him, I went over to him and looked at his computer. He was already well into deco, with the computer indicated he had to do a 5 minute stop at 20 feet. I very forcefully signalled and headed the length of the 350 foot wreck to get to the ascent line. By the time we had ascended, his computer was requiring 10 minutes at 20 feet. I stayed with him all the way so that he could share air with me in case of a problem.

Back on the boat, I had a brief and polite, but still firm, discussion about doing so much deco with no redundant gas supply. He indicated that he did 5-10 minutes of decompression on every dive. He had had no technical diving training, and it had never occurred to him that if he had a loss of gas, he would have to surface with a deco obligation. He obviously did not understand the theory behind that kind of diving. He was just adding time at depth, the way his computer was telling him to do it.

This is just a friendly reminder to all recreational divers that carrying a technical diving computer and keeping it in tech mode does not make you a technical diver. There is a reason technical divers go through all that training and carry that extra gear--if something goes wrong at depth, you cannot go to the surface without a significant risk of DCS. You have to be able to solve your problems at depth.

Most of all, setting your computer on decompression settings that some people call "conservative" does not make you a conservative diver.

Something to note too is that 30/85 may not be considered all that conservative by some. A good example here is DAN which recommends 30/70.

Many people misinterpret the information their computer is giving them ... even when they're using a recreational dive computer. I've told the story before of the DM I was diving on a wall with who shot up from 120 feet to 10 feet because ... as he later told me ... "my computer told me to go to 10 feet for 2 minutes" ... :eek:

... he then thought it would have been OK to go back down the wall and resume his dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That was actually kinda scary. Planning to have deco to clear on descent as a normal dive strategy is unnn-conservative. Let's not dive with that guy again. You showed considerable restraint in being "brief and polite" when back on the boat.

Last edited:
This type of scenario begs the question, is it wise to put advanced tec computers in the hands of beginning recreational divers that don’t necessarily have the experience and knowledge to understand what they’re their using and getting in to?
As an aside, I see a lot of hyping of the Shearwater products on this site to beginning divers. Maybe a little more thought needs to be put into what is being constantly recommended.

Gap in education? It doesn’t seem like he was purposely cavalier but rather, it appears he did not understand what recreational no decompression diving was?

I hope people don’t make assumptions about us based on our equipment, but I know it happens because it did several times already. And I’m not liking it. Admittedly, my husband and I are all decked out in what appear to be “advanced/cave/tech” equipment, because I got all my gear buying recommendations and info about equipment here on SB. And it heavily skews towards the advanced side. Yup, harness and wing, long hose configuration, Shearwater. Oftentimes people ask us if we’re “very experienced “ or “been diving a long time”. I quickly say “no” because I do not want anyone getting the wrong idea. I have had so many comments about our gear. It bothers me, this gap between what our equipment is telling the world about us and the truth. Enough that I considered getting rid of my bc and long hose, but not my Perdix (hehe, it’s just too wonderful).

We have used our Perdix on recreational air/Nitrox modes only and would have no business or interest in the tech modes, just in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited:
This type of scenario begs the question, is it wise to put advanced tec computers in the hands of beginning recreational divers that don’t necessarily have the experience and knowledge to understand what they’re their using and getting in to?
As an aside, I see a lot of hyping of the Shearwater products on this site to beginning divers. Maybe a little more thought needs to be put into what is being constantly recommended.
There is nothing "wrong" with the computer but with the divers understanding. The use of a "safe profile" is worth nothing without safe diving practises along with it.

Unfortunately this diver would probably have had a similar experience with most computers - he didn't RTFM (Read The F%^$^"! Manual). He sounds like he would have potentially done the same on any model of computer by picking a conservative profile then going into deco and hoping everything would be ok gas wise. Sounds like an exhibition case of normalisation of deviance. The lack of gas planning speaks volumes to me.

It doesn't take "tech" gear to make a diver unsafe - it is down to the mindset of the diver.

From the Smothers Brothers version of the Streets of Laredo.

I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy;
I see by your outfit you are a cowboy, too;
We see by our outfits that we are both cowboys.
If you get an outfit, you can be a cowboy, too.

Replace cowboy with Tech Diver.

Bob

In the terminology commonly used with gradient factors, the word "conservative" means a lower first gradient factor. I believe it is a misapplication of the term, and people will use their understanding of that word as a substitute for learning what it actually means to make a good choice of gradient factors.

Back
Top Bottom