I'm the Pariah again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm totally amazed at how long this thread has become. Wow!

I don't know. I think the people who have responded negatively to me online are the same people who would respond negatively to me in person.

The thing is, people who are less than polite on-line sometimes restrict themselves to polite behavior in person. But if they're impolite on-line, then that's who they are, and I'd like to know about it so that I'll know to stay away from them.

Actually, I used to think this, but after what happened last week I'm thinking otherwise. There I was, thinking I was getting along with the other people on the boat, I got into a disagreement with the captain of the boat, and there I was, ignored for the rest of the trip. It was an awful experience, and it was not on-line at all.

Also, I've been impressed with the number of people who have seen my side of all this. Granted they're in the minority, but at least there are some here on SB who think I did exactly what I should have done in the situation.

I don't know. This whole thing is weird. I'm a well loved and well respected member of my community. It's just when interacting with scuba divers that I have problems.

Thank-you.

You should be scuba diving for fun, for relaxation, for adventure... if you are looking for love and respect....wrong sport.. you got snot all over your face, you are sucking on things to survive and your garments smell like piss. :D:D

I don't know. This whole thing is weird. I'm a well loved and well respected member of my community. It's just when interacting with scuba divers that I have problems.
Perhaps scuba diving is the only situation where the social hierarchy you're accustomed to is upset? That captain has quite a lot of respect for you if he's your patient. We've covered that already (and everything else, I think), but that statement bolsters the theory a bit, I think.

I'm totally amazed at how long this thread has become. Wow!

I don't know. I think the people who have responded negatively to me online are the same people who would respond negatively to me in person.

The thing is, people who are less than polite on-line sometimes restrict themselves to polite behavior in person. But if they're impolite on-line, then that's who they are, and I'd like to know about it so that I'll know to stay away from them.

Actually, I used to think this, but after what happened last week I'm thinking otherwise. There I was, thinking I was getting along with the other people on the boat, I got into a disagreement with the captain of the boat, and there I was, ignored for the rest of the trip. It was an awful experience, and it was not on-line at all.

Also, I've been impressed with the number of people who have seen my side of all this. Granted they're in the minority, but at least there are some here on SB who think I did exactly what I should have done in the situation.

Thank-you.

Me thinks you just worry far too much.

50% of our population like the president. 50% don't.

1 in 7 people believe the government was involved in 9-11

No matter who you are you're going to be different than a good percentage of the population.

Never forget also -- the internet skewers the way people act. You post a question and suddenly there are 100 experts to expound on exactly what you should do and not do.

fergedda_boudit_forget_about_it_bumper_sticker-p128375971558606942en8ys_400.jpg

How about just taking everything with a huge grain of salt?

50% of what comes out of people's mouths is absolutely BS. The other part is made up of lies, personal positioning and minor small talk that is irrelevant to you and yours. There are some here that had to make it a point to try to make me a pariah because I used the word douchebag. Who cares? It's the internet, why care about somebody a world away who needs to feel big by making somebody else feel small?

In regard to being the pariah on your return trip -- the vast majority of people you will meet are just followers, they are cows, they are cattle, they will follow the herd, scared to break away the mob mentality barrier in fear of they will be the pariah. Those people on your boat were mostly sheep. As you said 2 approached you, so there you go, 2 people were strong enough to break from the herd. For get about the rest of them.

You need a heavy dose of "People - F em."

Be kind, be optimistic , keep an open mind, make conversation and just remember half the people you are talking to don't share much of anything in regard to values with you, but that's the way it is and it's no big deal, just enjoy what you can take from an experience and forget the rest.

A proverb for you - Grass must bend with the wind or it will break. So work on letting stuff roll off your back.

This whole thing with divers is not really weird - the truth is you may not be as well loved and respected in your community as you think, and you may not be as much of a pariah in the scuba community as you think. Maybe you're just thinking too much?

Last edited:
I think you did the right thing.. sort of. The only thing different I would have done is yelled at the captain I think I'm missing my buddy. Then I would have yelled and signaled I'm ok, but I don't know if he is. I will say, I admire how concerned you were for your buddy, because some people wouldn't have given a flip.

Now, as far as the hard feelings part go, I wouldn't have let that get to me. It sounds like there were plenty of mistakes by all parties. They wanted to bury the hatchet so to speak and you should have, too. Your buddy apologized and so did the captain and that should have been good enough.

One brief story from me. I was in Cozumel a few years ago and my wife and I had done some snorkeling the day before. The problem was my fins and wetsuit had gotten a little sand on them from snorkeling and I had put it back in my gear bag. When I got on the boat the DM saw me putting my fins on and there was some sand getting on the boat. He kind of freaked out and said you need to make sure you always rinse your gear even if there's only a little sand. He was right, but he lit into me front of the group in a rude way. I apologized and told him it wouldn't happen again. About 10 minutes later he came over put his arm around me and said he was really sorry for the way he did that. I told him no worries and we had an awesome trip the rest of the way. In fact, we became really close and joked about several things over the next few days. We both made mistakes and we both apologized and moved on.

Half of everything on this planet is below average.

Half of everything on this planet is below average.
No. Half of most everything is below the median.

---------- Post Merged at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:40 AM ----------

There are some here that had to make it a point to try to make me a pariah because I used the word douchebag. Who cares?
:rofl3: You, apparently. Is that the third or fourth time you've brought it up? Let it go.

That's because on a boat in the ocean you're not A Doctor, you're just another guy on The Captain's boat.
Yeah, right up to the point where someone need a doctor ^^

Regardless, what youre saying is that to be a well respected person you need to be a doctor or a boat captain?

Yeah, right up to the point where someone need a doctor ^^

Regardless, what youre saying is that to be a well respected person you need to be a doctor or a boat captain?

No, what I'm saying is that in everyday life, physicians enjoy a highly respected status and are generally deferred to in most conversations.

On a boat in the ocean, the captain is The Man.

Back
Top Bottom