I'm the Pariah again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys with your generous offers of meeting up with Matt keep missing something in the "Matt's rules of what he wants to do".

Matt only wants to dive in warm water. In his earlier posts he explained that he will not dive locally, only on "dive trips".

So his diving world is composed only of vacation diving at common vacation dive sites. This is his wish.

Now if someone told him that they would go with him to a warm water resort, that might be acceptable!

I do think though that it is impolite for Matt not to even respond to your offers.

in my opinion docmatt was right on his side ...but this is the situation which is to be brief before diving ....like what we have to do when somebody is missing or what signal someone have to give even far from boat that someone is in problem...... or what buddys have to do when someone spots his buddy in problem...... all these thing are discused before diving into the water ......i think when you were diving no body have brief you what to do specially captain of the boat ....the dive masters and so on...... so there was a lack of briefing and lack of responsibilities...........

She's good at that.

And regardless of what Matt wants he is going to find out that there are times when it's not always wise to have your mind set in stone when it comes to this activity. Unless it involves not using a spare air. That's a good rule.

Early on I had some pretty strong feelings about equipment and training that were developed and cultivated by associating with the dive shop and instructor I was certed through. I made them known here and later had to apologize to a few people for my stubborn attitude. I went from a "don't need no stinking BPW to dive in trim (still don't by the way) and so I'll stick with my jacket" to selling that jacket and now owning 4 plate and wing set ups plus an Express Tech.

The long hose was not necessary for me, to having single and double rigs set up as such and teaching my OW classes in them.:wink:

All some of us are are trying to do is get Matt, and for that matter anyone else, to expand his/her horizons and look at what diving with a group of more or less known people with known skills and known philosophies in a more controlled environment can do for him. Our quarries right now are actually pretty warm, above the thermocline anyway:D, have clear water, easy access, and one helluva a good time. My GF thought she would never dive less than 80/80. 80 degree surface temps and 80 degree water. Clear water at that.

Then we got her a drysuit. Her dive season has gone from 3 months of the year maybe to six or seven months. Still working on the ice diving and just because there is snow on the ground doesn't mean you can't dive. :shocked2:

But what being willing to try something else has also done is given her a new outlook on diving. Being with me and seeing my attitudes and methods I'm sure has helped there as well, but now mid 60's is no problem. Now low visibility is fun and a challenge. And I have a dive buddy that I trust and don't have to wonder about in the area of skills, knowledge, and reactions to issues that may come up.:cool2:

I think Matt needs to see the dynamics of good buddy teams in action. How they communicate, how they plan a dive or dives, how they move in the water together, and in so doing may end up developing a new outlook himself and perhaps learn more effective measures of picking a buddy and planning a dive with them. As well as some new methods of communicating with the boat and others who may be part of the dive. What myself and others want to see is no more posts from him about how a dive went south or he got his feelings hurt.

What we want to see is him posting about how great this or that trip was, how he discovered new ways of enjoying the dive and those he was diving with, how his skills improved on this last trip, and maybe, just maybe, how he was able to help someone else appreciate the gift that this can be in so many ways to those who choose to take advantage of it.

He would need to open his mind like I did, listen, take in what works and try it, and be willing to listen to the wisdom, experience, and knowledge of others and not take things so personally and seriously. Except safety. Those should always be very personal and very serious. I see this as something where a lot of people could benefit. Him being comfortable and relaxed. And for others I see having a doctor on board or on site as a nice bonus.

Last edited:

Thanks.

Again, perfect example of why AOW should have a pre-requisite of 50 dives and rescue should require 100 dives before you can take it.

At Cozumel this week my DM suggested I add air to or subtract air from my BC a couple of times when I was finning a lot to maintain my buoyancy. That advice was well taken. He also helped me locate my buddy when I forgot to keep track of where he was and misplaced him a couple of times.

Matt's statement demonstrating he doesn't even have buoyancy dialed in yet, yet is rescue certified perfectly demonstrates why divers need dives to gain experience before progressing with training and advancing their dive profiles. Matt's statement that he still hasn't figured out that he needs to remain close enough to his buddy to avoid losing him, again perfectly demonstrates why divers need to gain experience and get basic skills dialed in before advancing to advanced training.

Being a rescue diver with 20 dives is like thinking you're a mountain climber because you climbed the indoor wall at REI last weekend.

Hopefully Matt catches up on the experience side to match his cards. Based on this quote from him I think he understands it's an issue to be aware of.

With only 22 dives you're not as safe in the water as someone with 300 dives.

Where is Matt? All these invitations....

I think the forum rules need to be changed.

I think the OP should be required to make a post to any thread they initiate on a frequency not less than once every 2,000 posts..:D

You guys with your generous offers of meeting up with Matt keep missing something in the "Matt's rules of what he wants to do".

Matt only wants to dive in warm water. In his earlier posts he explained that he will not dive locally, only on "dive trips".

So his diving world is composed only of vacation diving at common vacation dive sites. This is his wish.

Now if someone told him that they would go with him to a warm water resort, that might be acceptable!

I do think though that it is impolite for Matt not to even respond to your offers.

I think matt is done with this particular thread. I think that too many people are against him and apparently, he doesn't like that. personally, I think that is too bad because maybe people can learn something from this thread.

I also disagree with the position that training is at fault. Some people just don't want to learn, and a certification is really a tool for learning, but it doesnt guarantee the student will actually walk away with knowledge and or skill.

Thanks.

Again, perfect example of why AOW should have a pre-requisite of 50 dives and rescue should require 100 dives before you can take it.

Matt's statement demonstrating he doesn't even have buoyancy dialed in yet, yet is rescue certified perfectly demonstrates why divers need dives to gain experience before progressing with training and advancing their dive profiles. Matt's statement that he still hasn't figured out that he needs to remain close enough to his buddy to avoid losing him, again perfectly demonstrates why divers need to gain experience and get basic skills dialed in before advancing to advanced training.

Being a rescue diver with 20 dives is like thinking you're a mountain climber because you climbed the indoor wall at REI last weekend.

Hopefully Matt catches up on the experience side to match his cards. Based on this quote from him I think he understands it's an issue to be aware of.

Could not agree more, and just to add, 150 for DM and 200 for Instructor :D

Back
Top Bottom