I'm your instabuddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This thread is inspired by a number of different threads. One was about diving with an inexperienced dive buddy. Another about computers. And to add extra fuel for discussion I'm renewing the Air2 debate as well. I also have jury duty tomorrow and need something to read while sitting at the courthouse!

First, I'm a simple recreational diver. Nothing fancy. I still look at backplate w/ wings and borderline tech diving (I know this isn't the case but old stereotypes are still there). Almost half of the dives I do are on vacation. The other half are local shore dives. For vacation dives I'm almost always on a boat or a location that requires the use of a guide. Not necessarily my choice but when booking in Hawaii or the Caribbean those are the rules. For local dives in California even off a boat there are no guides. I then rely on my compass to get out and back. I have been to 100 ft. twice for training and have never exceeded that depth. I have no interest in diving doubles or cave diving or penetrating wrecks.

My gear is out of a PADI training manual. I have a back inflate BC, standard regulator but use an Atomic SS1 as my alternate air source. To further decrease the hoses I have now gone to an air integrated wireless dive computer that take the place of my SPG. And, I dive split fins!!

I don't have a back up SPG on my rig. I don't even have a back up dive computer in case the AI one fails. I gave the other one to my daughter so she can dive it. If the computer fails I end my dive and will probably end the day of diving until the next day. But on a two tank dive not a big deal especially if the failure happens on the last dive. I'm of the opinion that I spent good money on a piece of dive gear and I trust that it will perform almost all the time. I don't see the logic in buying a piece of gear for almost $1000 then spending more money to a second computer to back up the first computer.

So here I am on a dive boat. Sometimes I won't have my daughter with me for a dive buddy. I'm geared up in my fancy schmancy dive gear. I've read post that because I have the equivalent of an Air 2 some have said they won't want to dive with someone who does. I don't have a back up SPG. Some have indicated that I must be an inferiorly trained diver because I also didn't pack my dive tables. And I'm diving split fins. Now I need an instabuddy.

I can tell you I will stay by your side. I won't intentionally wander off under water. After a few pleasantries and hand shake I will ask you what you wanted to do for the dive. Which direction are we going to head and what depth and for how long. What is going to be our turn around PSI and who should lead. I will also tell you my alternate is my Atomic and that you will breath off my primary in an OOA/low on air situation. Check you for your BC releases and ask about your air (but won't touch or check the valve). After the dives I would like to get a beer. Now, if you were a good dive buddy to me I'd buy you one too.

So, who would dive with me as an instabuddy?

I would dive with you because you WOULD STAY BY MY SIDE. That's the thing about buddy diving--if that doesn't happen nothing much else matters. I assume by checking BC releases you include how to release weights.

Sounds just fine...you probably have better navigation skills than me anyways :)

Hell, you sound better than 99% of my buddies...and my wife...that I dive with on a regular basis. We are all photographers so its pretty much hit the water and everybody scatters looking for critters to shoot.

None of the gear you wear scares me off. I'll trade you one of your split-fins for one of my Seawing Novas and then we can both sit back and watch the DIR heads explode.

I'd buddy with you even though I'd still sneer at your fins. But since you are buying the beer perhaps I could keep the sneer to myself. :)

(Just say "no" to split fins)

I would dive with you. If it is in warm water low effort conditions our split fins can talk to each other. If it is cold and we are wearing a lot of weight or we might be bringing up a bag of heavy fossils I would probably wear my quatros but they are the same color as my splits and yours are still no problem. If we are diving local I will not care too much about your almost air2 since I will have a pony and be in solo configuration but buddy mode. I can deal with primary away from home.

If you help me hunt for interesting critters and even find a couple, I'll buy the second round.

You sound like the kind of buddy I would keep an eye on but not get anxious about.

Hope to see you on a boat.

If you come to Hawaii again, specifically the Big Island, send me a PM. I'll gladly see if I can do a shoredive with you.

I have no problem with insta-buddies, and you sound like a "dream come true" compared to many divers I dove with or led over the years!

The main thing I ask of any buddy is that they don't wander off! Stay close, and keep a close on eye on me, and I guarantee that I'll be staying close and keeping a very close eye on you.

It is not a race. Go slow so we don't burn through our air, don't get separated, and can see all the amazing little critters that are so easy to bypass if you are sprinting around underwater.

When I take somebody into the water with me, I voluntarily take on a high level of personal responsibility for their safety, and I will do my very best bring them back out of the water in as good (or better!!) condition as when they entered.

I expect anyone buddied with me to have the the same philosophy. Beyond that, it is simply a matter talking before the dive, taking a look at each others gear and understanding how it works, agreeing about we expect to do on the dive, what our maximum depth is likely to be, how we will communicate remaining air supplies, what our "turn pressure" will be, etc.

Then have fun!

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I've never declined a first dive with an insta-buddy. I have declined a second. Disappear when a barracuda shows up at the hang bar and you're on your own. Race for the surface when a sand tiger shark cruises by and I'll watch you go. Need a few minutes to orient your self when we hit the wreck? No problem...better safe than sorry. Just don't panic and let's go have fun!

Freewillie, the reason many of us are posting that we'd happily dive with you goes beyond simple equipment configuration - it's because of your underlying dive philosophy and awareness. Even though we may not agree with an equipment choice, you've demonstrated through your post that you understand why we may not like it and why you still like it. And as others have said you'd stay with your buddy. All the dive philosophies and equipment idealities are moot if your buddy isn't actually present.

Back
Top Bottom