Implementing LANC on newer Sony camcorders with 10-pin AV connectors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you use a meter to check pins 7 and 8 . or Are they too small ?
Do you have another lanc controller to test the cable ?

Can you use a meter to check pins 7 and 8 . or Are they too small ?
Do you have another lanc controller to test the cable ?

Given my aging eyes, the pins are far too tiny for me to check.

I don't have another LANC connector with the proper 10-pin end, only the 2.5mm plugs.

Well, I finally did what I should have done near the beginning of my search. I contacted Backscatter to see why the Top Dawg housing wasn't communicating with the Sony CX550V. Their response was that it can't. Not sure what has changed in terms of LANC, but this is where I rest now.

Fortunately Backscatter and Light & Motion are offering a trade-up deal for owners of older Top Dawgs that will yield a new Stingray housing that can work with the CX550V. Looks like I either sell the camcorder, or spend more money to get the housing. Let me sleep on that!

If i follow the thread, it appears that non-video 10pin lanc cables work for lanc controls.
Does this imply that the cx550v cannot send a video signal and lanc at the same time ?
if so, I would guess then , that the 10pin is used to turn on the camera, then a redesigned housing controls would use IR controls for the camera, leaving the 10pin use for only video out and power on.

I have yet to get a clear answer from Sony so I'm planning to write their chief of technical services.

If i follow the thread, it appears that non-video 10pin lanc cables work for lanc controls.
Does this imply that the cx550v cannot send a video signal and lanc at the same time ?
if so, I would guess then , that the 10pin is used to turn on the camera, then a redesigned housing controls would use IR controls for the camera, leaving the 10pin use for only video out and power on.
That appears to be how the Bluefin works but Amphibico does it somehow with their CX550 housing without using I/R. So they must be doing both the control signal input and monitor output via the AV output port. I guess another option would be that their electronics work without using LANC protocols. But this seems to reject that possibility:

(camcorderinfo.com CX550 review)
Swinging around to the back of the camcorder you'll find two more ports: the AV-output and the DC-input. Both ports are protected by small, hard-plastic covers that flip open. The covers don't open very far, so things may get a bit crowded back here if you have cables connected while you are trying use the camcorder at the same time. The AV-out port has a proprietary design, which means it also can be used to connect the provided Component video cable. The port even works with other cables like Sony-proprietary LANC cables and S-video cables, but these must be purchased separately. The problem with this proprietary connection, however, is that if you lose your AV cable you have to buy another one from Sony—an AV cable with a regular connector won't work with the camcorder.

Hi Bill,
Don't recall whether you are a pc or Mac person but not many, if any, NLEs will work natively with any form of the AVCHD codec. You should first transcode the footage to a codec that will work in your NLE. I use MPEG Streamclip, which is free and bug free as well, anytime I have a client shooting in AVCHD. I import the clips to Mpeg Streamclip and transcode them to Pro Res for editing in FCP.
Aside from all that, what are your impressions of the CX550 and what housing are you using for it? How easy is it to WB?
Steve

DR. Bill, have you considered using the LANC to 10pin adapter without the video connections, then use a HDMI to composite cable to send signal to the monitor?

These cables that work dont have any chips in them do they. Arent we talking about the wiring is correct for a specific camera? (mumble resistors and pins ?) in the end, the lanc signal must exit a working cable still as still conforming to the "lanc-standard" or existing wired remotes wont work with the new camera, and you would be force to buy a new wire-remote for every new camera.

DR. Bill, have you considered using the LANC to 10pin adapter without the video connections, then use a HDMI to composite cable to send signal to the monitor?

Interesting suggestion... it might work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom