Implementing LANC on newer Sony camcorders with 10-pin AV connectors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've done several searches on the Internet without finding an answer to my question so I'm posting here.

I bought a Sony HDR-CX550V and am very pleased with it despite the hassles editing the footage. However, one of the primary reasons I bought it was to use it underwater in my housing which features a 2.5mm LANC controller.

I realize LANC on this camcorder is implemented through the proprietary 10-pin connector. I purchased an adapter from Pro-LANC which is supposed to accept the signals from a 2.5mm connector and convert it to what the 10-pin connector requires.

I connected the camcorder to my underwater housing using the adapter and nothing happens. I assume that there is a setting somewhere in the CX550V that tells the camcorder to look for the external LANC signal, but I have yet to find it.

Can anyone out there advise me as to the procedure for implementing the LANC connector on the CX550-V? Many thanks in advance.

I'm not clear on why there would be a LANC menu option on a camera that does not have one.

I could be wrong but I think you have to turn on the Multi A/V port prior to using it. I've read something about that in conjunction with using an external microphone - probably not with the CX550 though.

When TopDawg was still selling their previous model didn't they offer a LANC -> AV port adapter cable at one time? Maybe there's something proprietary.

Another option might be the 2nd cable on this page - I have it bookmarked for some reason - most likely because someone linked to it in a post as something that worked for them: http://www.studio1productions.com/lanc-sa.htm It probably would have been for an Amphibico housing though as that's what I have.

Hi Bill. Wish I had an answer for you, but I dont.
However.. I was curious about your comment regarding the "hassles editing the footage". Are you having issues because it is AVCHD format? Just curious.

AVCHD is nowhere near as straight forward to edit as any of the other formats I've worked with. And apparently Canon and Sony AVCHD formats weren't identical, at least for a while (strange since they developed it) because one of my video editing programs (Vegas Movie Studio Platinum) could handle the Sony AVCHD (after all, it too is a Sony product) but not the Canon AVCHD footage I had. An upgrade to the current version (10) solve that.

Takes a lot of horsepower to work in the AVCHD format. I have a quad core 3.2 GHz Pentium that can't handle it smoothly. I convert the footage to MPEG-2 and edit that... much smoother.

I'm not clear on why there would be a LANC menu option on a camera that does not have one.

I could be wrong but I think you have to turn on the Multi A/V port prior to using it. I've read something about that in conjunction with using an external microphone - probably not with the CX550 though.

When TopDawg was still selling their previous model didn't they offer a LANC -> AV port adapter cable at one time? Maybe there's something proprietary.

Another option might be the 2nd cable on this page - I have it bookmarked for some reason - most likely because someone linked to it in a post as something that worked for them: Sony LANC Adapter Cable - LANC 10 pin Adapter Cable 2.5 mm to D connector with Video and Audio - LANC-SA It probably would have been for an Amphibico housing though as that's what I have.

I have sen an option to turn on the multi A/V port yet... but I'm still looking. I had heard that LANC should be activated just by plugging the adapter in since it shorted two pins that tell the camcorder to receive LANC signals.

I bought the first cable on that web site because I need to use both the LANC controller and have RCA video out (to feed the monitor in the housing).

I bought the second cable on the site you listed (from another vendor) since I didn't need the video out option and had no problem getting it to work on my cx550 and the housing I have. I only snorkel so I am using a Sony Marine Pack which has the LANC controls. It worked immediately and I didn't have to set any controls.

Have you checked the cable with another camera? could it be a bad cable?

AVCHD is nowhere near as straight forward to edit as any of the other formats I've worked with. ...Takes a lot of horsepower to work in the AVCHD format. I have a quad core 3.2 GHz Pentium that can't handle it smoothly. I convert the footage to MPEG-2 and edit that... much smoother.

Sorry for the off topic segway here. Wow! I've heard that rumor.. about AVCHD .. Sorry that you had to find out the hard way. And you are using a quad core machine too! I have a duel core machine that I still use to edit my HC7's M2T files. I suppose if I ever go to a non tape based camera that a new high powered computer will have to be included in the budget as well. Thanks for sharing.

AVCHD is a PITA to edit if you don't have a pretty powerful computer. However, I found a freeware converter that seems to do a great job converting the MTS files into MPEG-2 and I'm happy with the results. The MPEG-2 files edit fine in Adobe Premiere, and the original MTS files are not impossible to edit in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum.

I contacted Sony technical support and was told that the CX550V does NOT have LANC capabilities. Strange since reviewers mention it does (through the 10-pin port) and aftermarket products involving LANC controllers state they will work in the 10-pin port. One housing manufacturer has told me their housings communicate with the CX550V through that port as well.

I'm hoping the Sony tech was wrong. If not, it's either sell off the CX550V (which does take wonderful video) or buy a housing that will work with it (not in the budget at this time).

I've read that pins 7 and 8 (I think that's correct) on the 10-pin adapter need to be shorted to get the camera to recognize the LANC controller. I know Pro-LANC knows this so the cable should work.

AVCHD is a PITA to edit if you don't have a pretty powerful computer. However, I found a freeware converter that seems to do a great job converting the MTS files into MPEG-2 and I'm happy with the results.

Gotta love free.

If it's free, it's for me. :D

What's the name of the software ?

It's called Free HD Converter. Download it from CNET here.

Not exactly speedy... converting about 10 GB of MTS files took five hours. Will be interested in your assessment of the quality of the converted MPEG-2 files.

I've talked to several aftermarket product companies, including one housing manufacturer, who say the Sony tech was wrong as LANC controllers do work with the CX550V. I certainly hope they are right!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom