DIR- GUE Importance of having matching primary and backup regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is my first post on SB. This is not related to the subject discussed here. But, ...

About 3 years ago I personally experienced a tragic accident where a diver sucked his pony dry leaving his main tank full when he was found at the 300+ feet bottom. It is almost certain that when he jumped he was sucking his pony, which had a second stage identical to his other seconds, including the color of the hoses. Also, one contributing factor to this tragedy might be that his pony was filled with nitrox (not 100% sure because there was no air left). I guess that I would purposely set up my pony second differently from my main to the extent I can feel the difference right away when I suck it.

Hi @jjchang, although your approach may be reasonable in certain circumstances, this is the DIR forum, and the DIR philosophy does not allow the use of pony, so this is actually a non-issue (at least, in this forum)... :)

My new 2nd stages… just arrived. The C370 is going to be the secondary reg as it’s extremely lightweight and should be very comfy hanging down from the necklace. Also it’s tiny size makes it good for a stage bottle reg in the future.

I made sure all my 2nds are balanced with adjustable cracking knob.

Proof that I dont have OCD…
View attachment 713541
Made me almost panic...

Not DIR but I am Hogarthian and gear OCD seems to cross many lines. I have long been a fan of dirt simple regulators like the Conshelf. I was given a beat up R190 not long ago and went to work to make it pretty again and did so. It is a sweet breathing regulator and good looking too. And light. And bomb proof. I think my OCD would stop with being of the same brand :wink:. One of my dive compadres mixes Scubapro 109s with AL Conshelf firsts and that makes my teeth hurt.

There is an online artical somewheres about showing a relatively recent photo of BHM diving twin Conshelfs. In any case, I should think an excellent and reliable combo would be a G250 primary with a R190 on the necklace and a Mark V/X or a new G260 with R195 on a Mark 17/19/25.

James

I dive AL 1st and SP 2nds, it eats at me a bit but I do like the Mikron 1st, AL make nice 1st stages and SP make nice 2nd stages so I try to rationalise it, but it still niggles at me from time to time.

I dive AL 1st and SP 2nds, it eats at me a bit but I do like the Mikron 1st, AL make nice 1st stages and SP make nice 2nd stages so I try to rationalise it, but it still niggles at me from time to time.

I may need to make a dental appointment after this revelation :wink: .

James

All of you with mis matched secod stages, I suggest that you get rid of the mis matched one immediately. Just send them to me, I will properly dispose of them for you. No, no need to thank me, just doing my part to make the diving community more safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom