Importance of keeping a cool head and dealing with a panicked buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She was wearing a 7mil wetsuit (one-piece, not farmer john), and looked over-weighted. She was not familiar with her BC and uncomfortable with a hood, too. Even with a full BC, she was slightly negatively buoyant at the surface which may have partly incited the panic; feeling as though she had to work hard to remain at the surface in a situation she was already uncomfortable with (poor vis).

Thank you for your responses, I'll be talking to my dive shop about a rescue class on Wednesday.

First of all, well done, you did a great job. And yes, do your Rescue course, it's well worth it.

There is something in the above description that strikes me: She was negatively buoyant at the surface, with a 7mm wetsuit and a full BCD? If that really was the case, then I'm glad she never made it down - once her wetsuit would have been compressed she would have sunk like a stone, I guess.

But as you say she wasn't familiar with her BCD, either, so my guess is that she simply didn't inflate it properly.

You did a great job with the situation. You're a good buddy. Take the rescue class. As a diver, you will almost certainly come upon a situation where you will be glad you've had the training. If not, you live a charmed dive life.

:thumb: :thumb: Two thumbs up, Fencingfish. You did a great job handling an unexpected situation.

Best wishes.

Excellent job! You took a bad situation and stopped it from becoming a full blown incident.

Rescue Diver is a course that I believe every diver should progress towards after they become comfortable as divers.

Well done, and bless you for your patience with your stressed buddy.

Good job. Wish I had a dive buddy like you.

As most have already said: One thing you learn in Rescue course is, don't extend a hand to a panicked diver, until you are out of water.

Well done. Rescue diver should be taken by any diver as there is always a possibility your buddy will need your help. Even when you dive with very experienced divers, they may one day end up in a situation where they panic, or have some kind of mishap. People who are drowning or injured almost take on a different personality, and often can't manage to rescue themselves and think straight. It can happen to anyone. I drowned when i was 19 and when you can't hold your breath anymore and that first gasp of water goes down in your airway your body reflexes start taking over from your brain. I was always a very confident swimmer since i was kid, not scared of water at all, and I am now 45 and still a relaxed diver most of the time, still not scared of the water, but those 30-60 seconds or so when I was gasping and coughing, until I blacked-out, I was NOT in control. It felt like as if i was convulsing uncontrollably. That's when you need people like you who are willing to learn how to deal with that and take over to help. ANY type of diver, young or old, experienced or inexperienced may need assistance one day.
When you dive for many years you will ultimately get to a situation where someone needs that help, or where you need help, so learn as much as you can...it pays off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom