Importing gear to Japan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mortlock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I figured that this would be a useful thread. People can share their experience of importing dive gear into Japan, in particular the kinds of taxes and duties that might be imposed.

I just received two new 3mm wetsuits from Triple L in the states. I was expecting to get hit with the 5% consumption tax and duties on the neoprene too.

When they arrived though there was no request for extra payment so I guess they got through free! :eyebrow:
I made sure Triple L included watersport equipment in the item description when they shipped.

I don't know if this will always be the case or if I just got lucky.

Morty

Depending on the shipping company you may be getting a bill later (Fed Ex does this). The 5% is the consumption tax and is charged on everything imported regardless of what it is and is supposed to be charged always. Duty can be placed on top of this on certain items.

Doh! The package was shipped with USPS GMS service. Just have to cross my fingers and hope that I don't receive an extra bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom