In a pickel between Palau and Yap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hack

Reaction score
Hello guys.
Presently in a bind and need advice on what to do My situation is have booked atrip on the Palau Agressor that has to stay booked for the week of the 14th - 21st of Jan 2007. (That has to stay the same) I have another week in Yap that I specifically booked for the week of the 6th - 13th specifically to see the manta rays and booked this because of the full moon phase which is Jan 5th. My dilemma is, Continental now (after 6 months) has cancelled my flight from Yap to Palau on the 13th and making me take a flight from Yap to Palau on the 10th. My choices are to spend only three days diving at Yap and walking away satisfied with my chances being better because of the full moon or flipping the week at Yap to the week after we get off the Aggressor i.e. the 21st - 28th and getting a full week in Yap without the full moon. IN NEED OF SOME IMMEDIATE ADVICE

I would stay with the three days in Yap with the full moon. That should be "plenty time " as they say in this part of the world to see the Mantas. Don't worry Air Mic. ( Continental) changes their flight times all the time here. It will probably change again between now and then. Just don't be like a mainlander and get uptight about it. The locals make a game of watching mainlanders get worked up over little things in life. Just relax and enjoy. FYI Continental has been changing weight limits and # of bags allowed and not allowing overweight bags even if you want to pay extra ( it seems to change on a daily basis) unless you are going bussines class.

Dale
Still on a little rock in the Pacific

grrrrrrrrrrrr to Continential

i agree - go to Yap..... hate for you to come back and say "i wish i had gone to"

go - enjoy - and see your mantas!!

Thanks for the quick response
i do appreciate it
i am so looking forward to coming down
i am pretty hyper to begin with you are right but i have to make a commitment with in 2 days
this is a trip of a life time and i don't want to mess up
i will calm down when i get there and get a couple of beers in me ha ha ha ha
any other suggestions what other dives or side excursions ?

Or maybe use the rest of your days on the Big Island of Hawaii where Mantas are generally at a diveable area. Hawaii is about half way back and it helps with a stop on the long flight back, plus it's not only a nice break but there are other things to do like hiking/helicopter or other tourist tours.

Hack... while in Yap - who are you diving with??

thats not an option
we either stay in yap for 3 days at the begining of the trip and 11 dys in palau
or 7 days at palau at the begining of the trip and 7 days in palau at the end of the trip

we were at Manta Ray hotel in April - loved it and going back

they run a excellent operation

if youre into photography, Mike Veitch is their resident photo guy and he does excellent courses

they run 3 dives per day plus a twilight mandarin dive

so you can go out in the morning for 2 manta dives and then catch a afternoon dive before the night dive - if youre interested

theres a huge whiteboard infront of the dive shop so when you arrive you will see what boat youre on and times ect plus Jan (dive shop manager) runs a great crew so just ask otherwise

nitrox is 32% and when we was there it was free so take advantage of it if you have your ticket!

plus for an added bonus - their rooms and facilities were FAB and they have home brew on tap

Continental is watching luggage weights. 50 pounds is the max w/wout paying extra. 70 pounds is the max with will accept. I just reutrned from a trip to Australia and we flew Continental. I was actually very impressed with their service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom