In-Camera Flash Power setting on sTTL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
To save battery power, does setting the in-camera flash setting to low affect an optically fired (Inon S2000) External Strobes power output on sTTL setting? Was wondering if on sTTL if the S2000 will also lower it Firing output if the in-camera flash was set to -2.

Am not getting good battery life on my Canon S90 and was thinking if lower flash setting would save me more power for more exposures.

To save battery power, does setting the in-camera flash setting to low affect an optically fired (Inon S2000) External Strobes power output on sTTL setting? Was wondering if on sTTL if the S2000 will also lower it Firing output if the in-camera flash was set to -2.

Am not getting good battery life on my Canon S90 and was thinking if lower flash setting would save me more power for more exposures.

If your setting is "-2" aren't you setting the EV? I thought there were only 3 flash settings on the S90: 1/3, 2/3 and full.

My S90 can adjust flash exposure from -2 to plus 2 in 1/3 stops in between. The EV is also the same range. Two separate settings. was just wondering how that affects the sTTL of the s2000

The flash-power setting from the S-90 will not affect power output of any optical strobe. If the internal strobe is set to -3EV or +3EV doesn't matter because the internal strobe will only trigger the external optical strobe to fire.
When you are shooting with a transparent housing, without anything what block the internal strobe, the external one may flash stronger to compensate - if in S-TTTL mode - to compensate the weaker flash from the internal strobe.
The external strobe output is adjusted by the dials on the back of the strobe.

Chris

The flash-power setting from the S-90 will not affect power output of any optical strobe. If the internal strobe is set to -3EV or +3EV doesn't matter because the internal strobe will only trigger the external optical strobe to fire.
When you are shooting with a transparent housing, without anything what block the internal strobe, the external one may flash stronger to compensate - if in S-TTTL mode - to compensate the weaker flash from the internal strobe.

Chris

when dialing down the internal strobe power does the camera lower the intestacy of the internal flash or shorten the length of the flash??? If the length is shorten, then s-tll will be shorter and all pictures will be under exposed.

I thought there were only 3 flash settings on the S90: 1/3, 2/3 and full.

I think that is true in Manual mode; other modes have the 1/3 stop steps noted above by ozziworld.

Warning, this is fact best I know, read carefully.

The S90 shooting the S2000 strobe:

Camera will default to automatic flash when the camera is in P or Auto modes (always preflashes also). Strobe will best be used in sTTL mode. Magnet position does not matter, sTTL selection overrides magnet switch.

Camera in Manual mode (never a preflash) the camera does not have an "Auto" flash and the S2000 must be used in Manual mode. Set camera flash power to 1/3 lowest. Control exposure with f stop/shutter and strobe power selection on the strobe power knob.

Camera in Av/Tv modes (auto flash or manual flash selectable, preflash always with auto flash, never with manual flash), you can use the Inon strobe in either Manual or sTTL. For sTTL set the camera under Menu and under flash settings to Automatic. Set the Inon S2000 to sTTL normal setting. Control exposure with f stop/shutter and also control strobe exposure with the camera strobe EV plus or minus 2 stops under Func Set and/or with the Inon strobe power knob. Magnet position does not matter.

Camera in Av/Tv and shooting the Inon S2000 in Manual mode set the camera under Menu for flash settings to Manual (no preflash) and then select 1/3 Lowest power. Magnet must be installed in strobe.

Camera in Manual mode (no preflash), Inon D2000 will only function correctly also in it's Manual mode. Magnet must be installed.

The S/D2000 in sTTL mode uses the camera preflash and also mimics the camera strobe. The sTTL feature cannot operate without the preflash and when the strobe is set in sTTL it will always expect a preflash from the camera, if it does not get one it will not sync.

N

Chris

Not being mean, however, this specifically is not true. The internal camera strobe WILL effect strobe power output with the S90 in P or Auto and the Inon strobe selected to sTTL.

You can in fact control exposure and alter strobe output using the camera's strobe power plus or minus 2 stops EV under Func Set with the camera in P/A modes. Also, in Av/Tv modes with the flash under Flash Settings under Menu selected to auto and then under Func Set bias up to plus or minus 2 stops EV.

I know this because I shoot this way sometimes.

If you are consistently over exposing your images despite turning the strobe power knob down then when shooting the camera in P/A or Av/Tv (camera flash set to Auto) then turn the camera flash setting under Func Set down a stop or more, this will darken your images.

N

Nemrod, can you explain me better how the Inon flashes measure the power of the internal strobe?
As far as know Inon strobes with S-TTL measure the reflecting light thru the small sensor on the lower front of the strobe.
There is also a small ring to close and open the aperture of the this sensor to modify how much light he receives.
The internal electronics then measures the reflecting light and adapts the strobe output/power.

The word S-TTL is also somehow unclear because TTL is Throu The Lens and it's correlated to the lens of the camera and not the lens of the strobe.

Said this, INON makes excellent strobes and i use mine frequently and with pleasure.

Chris

Nemrod, can you explain me better how the Inon flashes measure the power of the internal strobe?
As far as know Inon strobes with S-TTL measure the reflecting light thru the small sensor on the lower front of the strobe.
There is also a small ring to close and open the aperture of the this sensor to modify how much light he receives.
The internal electronics then measures the reflecting light and adapts the strobe output/power.

The word S-TTL is also somehow unclear because TTL is Throu The Lens and it's correlated to the lens of the camera and not the lens of the strobe.

Said this, INON makes excellent strobes and i use mine frequently and with pleasure.

Chris

The optical cable is the interface, the little sensor on the strobe does provide input but that is primarily used for External Auto mode in the D2000 and is not present in the S2000.

The camera in Auto modes emits a preflash (unless selected to manual under flash settings in Menu when in Av/Tv) which is used by the camera to meter the primary flash, the Inon S2000 enters the feedback loop and is "smart" enough to know what to do, it emits it's own preflash. The camera does not know the source of the light, and the Inon strobe compensates, essentially it mirrors or mimics the camera strobe via the optical cable interface/optical sensor. Any adjustment you make to the camera strobe via EV adjustments will be reflected in the output of the Inon strobe during sTTL operation.

You are confusing Inon External Auto mode with the Inon sTTL mode--they are very different in the way they function. In External Auto mode the Inon D2000 will trigger on the camera strobe but it uses the meter built in to the front of the strobe to gauge the exposure and control the strobe. In sTTL the strobe is strictly (more or less) mirroring the camera strobe. In the EA mode the Inon D2000 strobe power and exposure is regulated by your inputs to the power knob and the strobe sensor, the camera strobe has no direct effect, you match f stop and set camera to ISO100 (or if playing tricks----?). The D2000, in EA mode, only needs to know if it should expect a preflash (no magnet) or no preflash (magnet installed).

Notice, the S2000 does not have the window that the D2000 has in the front, that is for External Auto mode which the S2000 does not have.

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/inon-d-2000-s-ttl-official-explanation/

The D2000 is a much more versatile strobe (compared to the S2000) complete with the powerful LED model light, sTTL, EA, Manual modes and twin flash tubes and IMO greater power and coverage.

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom