In-Camera Flash Power setting on sTTL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And, BTW, the sTTL mode works wonderfully most of the time once you understand what it does best, like macro and close ups etc. On wide angle I find the EA mode works better or manual.

Sorry, S2000 users, you don't get the cool, battery saving, superb EA mode. That is the price paid for the size reduction.

N

To save battery power, does setting the in-camera flash setting to low affect an optically fired (Inon S2000) External Strobes power output on sTTL setting? Was wondering if on sTTL if the S2000 will also lower it Firing output if the in-camera flash was set to -2.

Am not getting good battery life on my Canon S90 and was thinking if lower flash setting would save me more power for more exposures.

Now to the OP's question, yes you can turn the camera strobe down a full 2 EV and compensate with the S2000 by cranking it up but I am not thinking this would be a workable solution.

Now, with the D2000, shooting in EA mode on the strobe, and the camera set to M/Av/Tv yes, select camera strobe under flash settings under Menu to manual and set power to 1/3 Lowest. This allows the camera to:

A. Not emit a power robbing pre-flash
B. Reduced flash output to lowest power for strobe trigger only
C. Reduced heat in housing
D. Reduced camera battery consumption

The D2000 in EA mode has it's own exposure system to calculate strobe exposure and the result is much better camera battery life.

How to conserve flash battery power in S90 with the S2000 strobe:

1. With your S90 and S2000 you will get best battery life with the camera in manual mode, strobe in manual mode, magnet installed, set camera strobe to lowest power setting 1/3.

or:

2. You can also shoot with the S90 camera in Av, camera flash set to Manual under Menu, select output to 1/3 and set your S2000 to Manual mode and then match f stop. Set your exposure with the S2000 strobe power output and camera f stop for near subject, set the camera shutter for background exposure.

N

Last edited:
Pertaining to the S90 only, what's the difference between adjusting the flash output, versus adjusting the flash exposure compensation? (to use Canon's nomenclature)

Hmmm, i thought that it's not like this but i may have to stick my nose in the manual....
Anyway, coming back to the question,
will ozzieworld have underexposed photos when he set strobe-output to -2?
And if so how can he set his S-2000 strobe to don't underexpose?

Chris

P.S. Oh, nemrod was quicker as me and had the same tought...

Hmmm, i thought that it's not like this but i may have to stick my nose in the manual....
Anyway, coming back to the question,
will ozzieworld have underexposed photos when he set strobe-output to -2?
And if so how can he set his S-2000 strobe to don't underexpose?

Chris

P.S. Oh, nemrod was quicker as me and had the same tought...

Since in sTTL mode the S2000 will mimic the camera strobe, if he turns the camera strobe power down minus 2 EV then he will have to use the exposure compensation knob on the S2000 to lighten the exposure 2EV. Will it work, yes, is it practical, dunno.

Since you will not believe me or the other link, here ya go, the Inon catalog pdf link:

INON Products Catalog / Guide Download

and:

Feature of INON Technology [S-TTL Auto]

and:

Feature of INON Technology [S-TTL Adjustable]

N

Pertaining to the S90 only, what's the difference between adjusting the flash output, versus adjusting the flash exposure compensation? (to use Canon's nomenclature)

We/me/are using those terms interchangeably I think. Unless you mean with the camera strobe set to Manual mode. In flash exposure compensation under Func Set the strobe is still operating in Auto mode ((applicable to P (default)/A (default)/Av/Tv)). If the strobe has been set to Manual (under Menu) in applicable camera operating modes, Av/Tv or M (default) then the strobe flash output can be manually controlled at 1/3 or 2/3 or 3/3 power levels.

All Canon P&S cameras function similar, the A570, S90, G11 etc are all very similar in the way they work and the Menu/Func Set options. These features are in the last pages of the manual where all of the functions are cross referenced, for the S90 that is pages 167-169.

The Inon D2000 and Z240 are very similar but the Z240 adds wired TTL. The S2000 and D2000 are similar but the D2000 adds the External Auto mode and a LED light.

You must understand the magnet switch, camera pre-flash and function cross reference chart etc, once you understand these things it is very simple.

N

Thanks to all that posted their inputs.

I tried it last night and Nemrod your are right. In Av and Tv mode, The sTTL will under expose or over expose as it mimics any adjustment to the in-camera flash setting. Setting the s2000 in the opposite direction does compensate it somewhat but then results may not be as accurate or reliable.

In Manual the in-camera flash just behaves like a trigger and does not influence the s2000 power output which is set at the s2000's controls.

The only benefit to setting the in-camera flash to save battery power is in Manual mode.

I'm using D2000 with my G9- although the sTTL is also accurate, I prefer to use it on full manual.
Just set camera mymode 1 for macro (M, 1/250 or 1/500, f8, macro on) and simply adjust the strobe or just remember the strobe power for certain distance after some practice - this setting work well for up to 60 cm distance.
You can set another mymode for longer distance, slower speed, bigger aperture, higher iso.
Practice in the pool will help much.
You can fix under/over exposure up to 1EV with PS.

Thanks Wisnu,

My objective is to save S90 battery power since it is rather limited. Do you set the G9 flash at lower setting or full? I believe the G9 has good battery life compared to the S90.

Indeed, I set the flash power to the minimum. The D2000 sensor is very sensitive; and I believe S2000 even more sensitive.
Not only saving battery power but slightly faster recycle time.

Thanks Wisnu,

My objective is to save S90 battery power since it is rather limited. Do you set the G9 flash at lower setting or full? I believe the G9 has good battery life compared to the S90.

Back
Top Bottom