In need of a little motivation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been a good girl and have been hitting the gym 3 days a week for almost 8 weeks now. That's the longest I've EVER stuck with an exercise program and in that respect I'm really pleased with myself. I've graduated to 30 min of aerobic activity usually on the elliptical but I'll do the stair stepper or bike for some variety. I was working on snorkeling with a student who needed extra help and could really see where the aerobic activity had provided a benefit. The university pool is 14 feet deep and I could comfortably touch the bottom repeatedly, a big step for me.

I've been sticking with my weight workout on the Nautilus machines and gradually increasing the weight on those. It feels good to realize that the weight that was so hard to lift when you started is now child's play. I'm happiest with my back extensions at 252 pounds, I guess I'm addicted to big numbers when it comes to lifting. My chest press has gone from 60 pounds to 84 although I right now I can only complete 2 full sets at that weight, I drop the weight to 72 for the final set. My lat pulldowns have also increased from 60 to 84 pounds with a drop to 72 pounds for the final set. The lat pulldown is one of my favorite exercises because the machine is next to the mirror and I can actually SEE what the muscles are doing and how much they've toned up.

Unfortunately I'm starting to lose my motivation to go to the gym. I'm usually fine once I get there but it takes about an hour and a half to complete my full workout. Lately I've been finding myself on a machine thinking, "I've got (insert number >4 here) more machines to go...UGH!"

How do I stop the burnout while it's still just a teeny flame?
Ber :lilbunny:

Whew, I thought you were referring to needing a little Mo2vation. I don't think BunnyJaye would appreciate that!

Years ago I created a diet and exercise regime that ended up in my losing 70 pounds (way too much). It took a lot of discipline and there were many times I preferred the thought of relaxing with some music instead of hitting the gym and pool after a long day at work. I understand your pain.

Not sure why I kept it up, other than my stubborn German personality. You're seeing the results already, so you are getting some positive reinforcement. Keep that in mind every time your thoughts turn to stopping prematurely.

Do you make the exercise regime as pleasant as possible? Work out with a friend? Listen to your favorite music while on the machines? That may help as well.

Walter:
Well TKO, put a rubber band on your wrist. Everytime you have a negative thought about your workout, pop your wrist.

My dear R2 if only you had been at the meet-n-greet where rubber bands on wrists were discussed you would know why you just made my day :rofl3:

P.S. What happens at the GLWC Meet-n-Greet STAYS at the Meet-n-Greet.

drbill:
Whew, I thought you were referring to needing a little Mo2vation. I don't think BunnyJaye would appreciate that!

LOL! I do NOT need any more women thinking I'm after their men. I have a hottie of my own at home :eyebrow:

drbill:
Do you make the exercise regime as pleasant as possible? Work out with a friend? Listen to your favorite music while on the machines? That may help as well.
Actually I try to make it pleasant. Hubby got me an iPod for Christmas and I've put a bunch of my favorite upbeat songs on that. It sure beats carrying the CD player around! I also picked up a heart rate monitor so I could have a way to monitor my aerobic challenge level. I like looking at stats :D

Haven't found any friends crazy enough to meet me at the gym. Hubby goes sometimes and I do enjoy getting the elliptical behind his :eyebrow: but I don't feel comfortable asking him to hang around for another hour while I do my weight workout. I do my entire workout when I get off work so I get home from the gym about the same time he gets home from work. We go back to the gym when he's in the mood to work out and I do 30 minutes of cardio whether that's on my "day off" or two hours after I completed the last workout. That way I get my quality time at the gym and quality time with him too :D

I guess I'm just getting the winter blah's and it's driving me to hibernate rather than exercise :(
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Actually I try to make it pleasant. Hubby got me an iPod for Christmas and I've put a bunch of my favorite upbeat songs on that. It sure beats carrying the CD player around! I also picked up a heart rate monitor so I could have a way to monitor my aerobic challenge level. I like looking at stats :D

Just make sure you don't plug the earphones into the wrong unit!!!

Ber... you are not alone!

I started out working out 3 times a week.... and now I haven't been to the gym in 1 1/2 weeks! (Now, granted, I was sick too... but the point is, I haven't been to the gym!). Now... since it's sooo cold out, I'd rather stay in my comfy, warm house and snuggle under a blanket in front of the tv!

On the plus side... I have noticed a difference in how my clothes fit. I've dropped 15 lbs... with 79 to go (at this point). I have had 2 people notice that I've been losing weight... and yet, I can't get up the motivation to get my arse to the gym! I prefer to work out with my husband or a friend. I have a friend that I could work out with, but my schedule differs from hers, and it's quite hard to make it to the gym at the times that she's there. This week... Rod will be working late almost every day... and I'm sure he won't want to go when he gets home. (He's a truck driver and delivers beer and wine... and considering we're in INDY and the COLTS are in the Superbowl... the business is booming He's delivered OVER 2500 cases of beer (ONLY!) just today!)

Ber... I'd be willing to exchange emails or phone numbers and we could call/email and motivate each other to get to the gym.... or make the other feel guilty if they didn't go! LOL Just lemme know. :wink:

it's easier if you can find a workout buddy. that works for me. i hate lifting weights, so i found a friend who loves that. he hates cardio, but i push him. in essence, we're training each other.

i also find it easier when you find a hottie and concentrate on her/him. me and my buddy have a top 10 ranking at the gym we go to.

keep it up. don't let yourself slack :)

My hubby is my "hottie". What a nice chest, arms, and butt! He worked sooo hard today, and actually did make it home at a decent time... and he's willing to go work out! I think I'll ask him to just be my trainer today. LOL

I absolutely LOVE weights... could do them all day long. I despise cardio! Can't stand it! That's where I need my motivation the most! LOL

Make sure you don't overdo it. The days off in between are as important as the days you work out. The body needs recovery time for all the effort to be the most beneficial. And if you come up with the worlds best motivator, let me know. Tonight is my first gym session in about 2 1/2 years..........

The lat pulldown is one of my favorite exercises because the machine is next to the mirror and I can actually SEE what the muscles are doing and how much they've toned up.

love that...thanks for reminding me.

Sounds like you are bored. Maybe change your whole routine for awhile?

What I do sometimes, is make deals with myself "okay...do the light modified version, just go through the motions" or "repacement plan B routine" I have that for my "weak" days, like a crutch. Anything as opposed to skipping entirely.

Or...pay yourself. Sometimes JB and I pay each other, it's a game, sort of a wash really.

I need to take my own advice, though.

Back
Top Bottom