In need of a little motivation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am in need of motivation and support. I have no trouble with the treadmill, it's great I just pop in a something I recorded that was on too late for me to watch and go. I FF the commercials and get between 45 and 50 minutes out of an hour program and the time really flies.

My CardioGlide is another story, I actually have to concentrate on what I am going on that and I have a short attention span for such things. Ideally I should be doing 20-=30 minutes per session on it, but have only gotten to about 5-6 minutes so far. However it is the kind of machine I need to build up little by little, it should be great for the arms and abs, over time.

I only wish I had a local pal around here to work out with or call for support, but sadly that is not the case.

I must say though my new pals in the Challenge forums have helped me stay focused and on track immensely.

Ber Rabbit:
I've been a good girl and have been hitting the gym 3 days a week for almost 8 weeks now. That's the longest I've EVER stuck with an exercise program and in that respect I'm really pleased with myself. I've graduated to 30 min of aerobic activity usually on the elliptical but I'll do the stair stepper or bike for some variety. I was working on snorkeling with a student who needed extra help and could really see where the aerobic activity had provided a benefit. The university pool is 14 feet deep and I could comfortably touch the bottom repeatedly, a big step for me.

I've been sticking with my weight workout on the Nautilus machines and gradually increasing the weight on those. It feels good to realize that the weight that was so hard to lift when you started is now child's play. I'm happiest with my back extensions at 252 pounds, I guess I'm addicted to big numbers when it comes to lifting. My chest press has gone from 60 pounds to 84 although I right now I can only complete 2 full sets at that weight, I drop the weight to 72 for the final set. My lat pulldowns have also increased from 60 to 84 pounds with a drop to 72 pounds for the final set. The lat pulldown is one of my favorite exercises because the machine is next to the mirror and I can actually SEE what the muscles are doing and how much they've toned up.

Unfortunately I'm starting to lose my motivation to go to the gym. I'm usually fine once I get there but it takes about an hour and a half to complete my full workout. Lately I've been finding myself on a machine thinking, "I've got (insert number >4 here) more machines to go...UGH!"

How do I stop the burnout while it's still just a teeny flame?
Ber :lilbunny:

For the weights: Increase the intensity and decrease the duration.

Or, go with http://www.fastexercise.com/ and be done in 4 minutes !!! Tony Robbins swears by his.

Green_Manelishi:
For the weights: Increase the intensity and decrease the duration.

I'm confused. "Increase the intensity" is increase the weight? "Decrease the duration" is decrease the time between sets or do each rep faster? I tend to lift fast and lower slow, the computer thingie tells me when I'm lifting too fast. I have to do 3 sets to get the program I'm in to go to the next workout but I don't have to do all 10 reps.

Green_Manelishi:
Or, go with http://www.fastexercise.com/ and be done in 4 minutes !!! Tony Robbins swears by his.

WOW! $14,000!

Ber Rabbit:
I'm confused. "Increase the intensity" is increase the weight? "Decrease the duration" is decrease the time between sets or do each rep faster? I tend to lift fast and lower slow, the computer thingie tells me when I'm lifting too fast. I have to do 3 sets to get the program I'm in to go to the next workout but I don't have to do all 10 reps.

WOW! $14,000!

Increase the intensity might involved increasing the weight. It might be better to warm up then do one working (i.e. max weight) set to failure followed by forced then negatives. You want to "shock" your muscles into growth. Done properly the one high intensity set might be enough. Much depends on your willingness to work that hard and your genetics.

Green_Manelishi:
Increase the intensity might involved increasing the weight. It might be better to warm up then do one working (i.e. max weight) set to failure followed by forced then negatives.
That's kind of what I'm doing, I just warm up with my max weight since I do my weights after my cardio. I start to lose my form on my leg curls and extensions with more weight than I'm using so I try to keep that in mind as well.

Green_Manelishi:
You want to "shock" your muscles into growth. Done properly the one high intensity set might be enough. Much depends on your willingness to work that hard and your genetics.

I'm willing to work hard, I need a partner at the very least for forced and negatives but I don't have one. I could probably do them on the machines rather than free weights but there's still that partner issue. :(

Ber Rabbit:
That's kind of what I'm doing, I just warm up with my max weight since I do my weights after my cardio. I start to lose my form on my leg curls and extensions with more weight than I'm using so I try to keep that in mind as well.

I'm willing to work hard, I need a partner at the very least for forced and negatives but I don't have one. I could probably do them on the machines rather than free weights but there's still that partner issue. :(

Forced and negatives require a lifting partner. If I was there I'd work out with you. But you might not like me if I hurt you. Your hubby might not like me if I hurt you.

Green_Manelishi:
Forced and negatives require a lifting partner. If I was there I'd work out with you. But you might not like me if I hurt you. Your hubby might not like me if I hurt you.

LOL! Hubby accidentally dropped a rather large tree on my head and failed to hurt me. The bull riding class made me sore; I'd be interested to see if you could produce that kind of soreness with a workout.

Ber Rabbit:
LOL! Hubby accidentally dropped a rather large tree on my head and failed to hurt me. The bull riding class made me sore; I'd be interested to see if you could produce that kind of soreness with a workout.

I'd give it my best attempt. One set; after warmup and finding your max liftable weight.

Ber... I noticed that you said you do your weights after the cardio. With all the recent things that I've heard/seen, you should do the weights first, and the cardio last. Supposedly, you'll burn more fat that way.

But I'm not an exercise physicist either! LOL

Damm that machine looks like a torture device....
Girl you are a machine already....I have weightlifter legs and hate them....But it's the belly that gets me. Oh and back fat...ahhh I hate back fat...LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom