In response to TsandM's message regarding gas planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Considering the true value of most Youtube videos it is likely that that was staged.

It could be and you never know for sure. At first I thought the same specially since he's looking and filming his own computer so often. However I realised that this can also be the onset of narcosis/taskloading... When I'm deeper on air I also look more at my gauges (because my mental capacities diminish, because of a very mild form of paranoia, because I want to double check... all of course effects of narcosis)... so I recognise this.

Even tho it might not be real... it does happen more then enough in real life. And it does show quite clearly that a combo of inexperience, not knowing some basic diving facts and theorems, taskloading and narcosis can have nasty effects. It also shows that you as a diver are IN CHARGE of your own safety... nobody else.

So if people watch this and draw the right conclusions they might learn something from it and develop some habbits that will make you a better/safer diver.

Sorry... double post

Just saw the following on youtube.

YouTube - Diving Accident Potential For A Bad Outcome Bahamas 12/12/08

It's a small film life about a guy seeying two divers (one 12 year old) without any experience lingering at depth pre-occupied with their camera.

He luckely goes out to check them... when he reaches them he's at 150 feet. He asks them to check mano... no reaction checks it himself. Diver 1 700psi, Diver 2 400 psi.

I'm not going to re-iterate what's been said in TsandM's thread but please learn about gas-planning.

How would learning about gas managment have helped them?

They learned how to read their gauges and they learned to monitor their air and they didn't do that either....

Skills are only useful if you apply them.

R..

Back
Top Bottom