In San Diego, Looking to do some diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kgault

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am in San Diego for work for a little over a week, and I would like to get in some diving. Looking for suggestions on shops/charters to use.

Are the Beach Crabs still active?

Thanks,

Keith

Greetings,

I am in San Diego for work for a little over a week, and I would like to get in some diving. Looking for suggestions on shops/charters to use.

Are the Beach Crabs still active?

Thanks,

Keith

When will you be there. I am also coming from the East Coast and will be there for Business during the week of June 27 -July2
I usually go out with Lois Ann dive charters. They are a great operation.
We are tentatively doing the Hogan and the Yukon on Monday the 28th.

For boat ops, I'd recommend the Lois Ann or the Humboldt (Waterhorse Charters).
If you're diving in the La Jolla area, the Sport Chalet-UTC location is good for gear rental and air fills. OEX is right near La Jolla Shores, so you can try to get an air fill there. Often times during the summer, the staff will focus more on the kayak customers than divers getting air fills. It's a shame that OEX isn't more reliable considering its proximity to the beach.

To get hooked up with local divers, I recommend joining the email list on Divebums.com. You can monitor the list for daily dive reports. If you send out a "looking for a local dive buddy" post, I'm sure that someone will be able to take you out.

Have fun out there!

When will you be there. I am also coming from the East Coast and will be there for Business during the week of June 27 -July2
I usually go out with Lois Ann dive charters. They are a great operation.
We are tentatively doing the Hogan and the Yukon on Monday the 28th.

I am scheduled to leave on the 24th.

Thanks for the info,

Keith

For boat ops, I'd recommend the Lois Ann or the Humboldt (Waterhorse Charters).
If you're diving in the La Jolla area, the Sport Chalet-UTC location is good for gear rental and air fills. OEX is right near La Jolla Shores, so you can try to get an air fill there. Often times during the summer, the staff will focus more on the kayak customers than divers getting air fills. It's a shame that OEX isn't more reliable considering its proximity to the beach.

To get hooked up with local divers, I recommend joining the email list on Divebums.com. You can monitor the list for daily dive reports. If you send out a "looking for a local dive buddy" post, I'm sure that someone will be able to take you out.

Have fun out there!

I dropped by Waterhorse Charters today; they are quite friendly, so I think I will take one of their charters and try for shore diving on whichever day I can manage :>

Thanks for the good info,

Keith

Waterhorse are good people. You'll enjoy diving with them.

Let me know, will take you shore diving....

Got out with The Humboldt from Waterhorse Charters for a Saturday afternoon trip (morning trip was fully booked).

Had two great dives on the Yukon. Took a leisurely tour on the first dive to remind myself how to dive with soo much insulation on :) (400 Thinsulate under a TLS350) I had been given a report of the water warming up, so I bought some reef gloves that I had chosen to leave in Florida in favor of 3mm gloves - I am glad I asked one of the other drysuit divers about her wearing dry gloves otherwise my hands would have froze. I wore the 3mm gloves and did just fine. min water temp was logged as 47.1 soon after descending, it was 51F for most of the dive and around 70F above 25 ft.

For the second dive I took my Camera, and did some closeup ambient light photography. I did not enough room in luggage for strobes as I needed to bring work clothes, etc :(

Capt Anita and her deckhand Brandon did a great job of keeping the trip lively. I highly recommend their operation.

I will be back out with the Humboldt tomorrow afternoon for some Kelp diving.

Keith

As Keith stated the Saturday afternoon double dip on the Yukon was quite nice. Friendly crew, good fills and sunny skies made for a great trip.

DSC_8012.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom