In search of octo holder that actually works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so it's not surprising to me that they have not publicly announced this.

If it's on their website it's publicly announced. PADI require their instructors to down load the updated standards and notifications. Same thing. As an instructor the responsibility is on you to keep up to date?

Each organisation has their own standards. PADI require all students and Instructors/DM's who are engaged in Pro activities, to wear a snorkel (Until you start Tec) They teach reg to snorkel exchange on the OW course, as well as it being part of descent and ascent procedures. I never use a snorkel in real life. I have a PADI mask and snorkel for use as a DM and continuing through to Instructor, and my normal mask without snorkel for normal diving (can't be bothered to keep taking snorkel off and having to find it again)

I choose to use this agency, therefore I play by their rules. Same with BSAC (I'm qualified and dive with both)

If it's on their website it's publicly announced. PADI require their instructors to down load the updated standards and notifications. Same thing. As an instructor the responsibility is on you to keep up to date?

Each organisation has their own standards. PADI require all students and Instructors/DM's who are engaged in Pro activities, to wear a snorkel (Until you start Tec) They teach reg to snorkel exchange on the OW course, as well as it being part of descent and ascent procedures. I never use a snorkel in real life. I have a PADI mask and snorkel for use as a DM and continuing through to Instructor, and my normal mask without snorkel for normal diving (can't be bothered to keep taking snorkel off and having to find it again)

I choose to use this agency, therefore I play by their rules. Same with BSAC (I'm qualified and dive with both)

Eh?

I posted a link showing primary donate can be taught. Look up who the guy is, I think it's fair to say he will know more about this than anyone else who has commented. Email him if you want - he's a nice bloke and won't mind responding.

PADI do not make you wear a snorkel. You just have to have one on your person. Sticking a fold up one in your pocket is fine.

For the securing octo discussion, the BSAC position on primary donate seems best explained by their desire for one donate method across all gear configurations including basic students and rebreathers, and so their choice may not contribute as much to deciding on a donate method when not under such a constraint. I'm fine with using the arguments outside of BSAC on the matter.

The BSAC FAQ on donation seems to still show a strong view against teaching primary donate. Perhaps the instructor you mentioned teaches it as extra instruction under one of the two other agencies he teaches under. I did not see any discussion of donation in my quick read of his site.

AS Training - Frequently Asked Questions - British Sub-Aqua Club

here's a question for those that dive with BSAC, hopefully @Edward3c has the answer.

How does the agency deal with Air II's? You obviously can't use them in your training in lieu of a normal secondary, but how do you address them for your students if they get put with an instabuddy while abroad?

You can buy a yard of bungie at any outdoor store for about $0.35. A couple of double hitches and your done. (Well, melt the ends too.)

Cheap and nothing better for about 7 reasons.
I agree with you. Someone made me one like that years ago and I just added a cord lock at the end to make the loop adjustable.

I've tried these two. Both abject failures.

The rubber loop: Trident Octo Holder with Clip | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Bungee-type loop: Octo Holder with a Clip - Dive Right in Scuba
/QUOTE]

This has been a VERY long post on something so simple as an Octo keeper... (NO I didn't read all the posts) I use the Trident one for students and have NEVER had an octo come loose in fact its a little hard to pull it free for most students..... which leads me to wonder if you are using it correctly to begin with. If you want to make it completely secure you can run the clip around the hose and back through the nylon loop and CLIP it to your bcd.... but that would be complete over kill....

Update:

Sunday during my nav class I tried the octo holder that is essentially a piece of nylon bungee cord to loop around the mouthpiece (with a clip). Just wanted to try it again for experimentation's sake. Octo kept falling out of the damn thing, even though loop was right up against the zip tie on mouthpiece. Pain in the arse trying to put octo back in holder while wearing dry gloves. That holder is getting trashed.

I'll try the snorkel holder one this weekend.

Sunday during my nav class I tried the octo holder that is essentially a piece of nylon bungee cord to loop around the mouthpiece (with a clip). Just wanted to try it again for experimentation's sake. Octo kept falling out of the damn thing, even though loop was right up against the zip tie on mouthpiece.
Weird. I use a piece of bungee on my necklaced secondary and my only issue is when I haven't tied the knots properly so they unravel. If I tighten them enough, I have no problems with the 2nd falling out of the necklace.

I just got the simple bungee necklace from DRIS and it has performed admirably. Like lots of gear though what works for one does not necessarily work for the next.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. I've been using this method for 19 years and have never had it come loose.
regulator-bungee-necklace-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom