In Water Recompression for DCI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Consider this (theoretical). A diver at a somewhat remote dive site in Europe was treated for DCI by returning to 60 feet breathing a EAN50 while the dive team waited for medevac. Would you consider this a option for First Aid treatment? Age old argument.

GDI:
Consider this (theoretical). A diver at a somewhat remote dive site in Europe was treated for DCI by returning to 60 feet breathing a EAN50 while the dive team waited for medevac. Would you consider this a option for First Aid treatment? Age old argument.
Good question. My take: For sports divers suspecting DCI, and anywhere reasonably close to proper medical facilities and reasonably speedy hyperbaric treatment, the answer would have to be a firm no. You don't go back underwater but stay on dry land with oxygen-on-demand drinking fluids while awaiting medevac. But does IWR still happen even with recreational sports divers? Yes, of course it does, even in very highly developed countries. I still think it's inadvisable.

Of course, in very remote areas, and with very advanced divers (say, deep wreck divers or cave divers), and under supervision, some suspected DCI victims would consider a ppO2 of 1,8 acceptable and beneficial while awaiting medevac. There is of course a very real risk of drowning and the effects of incomplete recompression could be very bad.

I know what I would do if I were in a very remote area and faced with the choice GDI poses. But I still think for recreational divers, IWR is a no-no.

Just my 2 cents. :coke:

I would not consider nor recommend nor allow in-water recompression, unless the boat also had a full-face mask for the victim to wear, and safety divers were able to attend the victim as well with the full-face mask.

When diving at a remote location, it is critical to enhance the regular safety measures for the dive. Staying well within the NDL limits, with long surface intervals between repetitive dives, is crucial to avoiding a DCS hit.

For technical deco diving, extra hang tanks with deco mix, and staying well within the rule of thirds, is further critical.

If even after all this enhanced pre-dive planning, there somehow still occurs a DCS hit, then utilizing pure O2 AT THE SURFACE is the best, safest means of dealing with DCS.

Plan your dive, dive your plan, and plan for contingencies, while planning conservatively at remote sites. Darwin's prinicples will deal with those who fail to do so.

IndigoBlue:
...When diving at a remote location, it is critical to enhance the regular safety measures for the dive. Staying well within the NDL limits, with long surface intervals between repetitive dives, is crucial to avoiding a DCS hit.

For technical deco diving, extra hang tanks with deco mix, and staying well within the rule of thirds, is further critical...

What is the connection between the rule of third and avoiding a DCS hit?

staying down too long, and getting DCS that way.

staying rigorously within the rule of thirds will avoid the temptation to stay down too long.

take a look at The Last Dive.

Here's the latest on In Water Recompression compliments of & used by permission of Richard Pyle & the UHMS:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/IWR.pdf

Richard Pyle is the same author as in the link Pipedope posted.
This PDF file (about 280KB) is pretty much considered to be THE guideline of what's become to be known as the "Pyle Method" of IWR.

The issue is not how long you spend UW. The issue is how you manage your gas in connection with your bottom time, depth and deco needs.

Back
Top Bottom