in water therapy for dcs spinal injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firstdive2005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi will going 20fsw with 100% oxygen give any help in healing spinal cord injury from a major decompression accident? Obviously I have a friend that needs treatment. He is paralyzed waist down. Fresh from a month of chamber rides and cant afford any more he needs to try something. Obviously this is a very sensitive subject and he will be reading. Please don't scream and yell. be civilized. He, for lack of better words is desperate. Trying anything is upon him. thanks, kev.

Hi firstdive:
I am not speaking as a medical man, but one month of chamber treatments most often reaches a maximum of benefit. More is superfluous. Let us see what others might think.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's injury. I concur with Dr. Deco in that hyperbaric oxygen therapy has little benefit after improvement reaches a plateau. It's possible that he may regain some function over time; we've had spinal DCS patients who have improved markedly even after hyperbaric therapy was discontinued. I'd encourage him to pursue physical therapy.

Best regards,
DDM

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your friend's injury. I concur with Dr. Deco in that hyperbaric oxygen therapy has little benefit after improvement reaches a plateau. It's possible that he may regain some function over time; we've had spinal DCS patients who have improved markedly even after hyperbaric therapy was discontinued. I'd encourage him to pursue physical therapy.

Best regards,
DDM

Thankyou gentlemen, it obviously saddens me to read these remarks but alas it's what I had in my heart also. I know he will try this approach. We are having him do dry therapy also. Someone told him that their brother did this after the chamber rides, and he regained movement. He walks well today. We know not all injury is the same but I think if he didnt do it he would grenade mentally for not trying.
Thankyou if you have any advice more it will be read. Again thanks. kev.

firstdive,
If your friend is going to regain any function his recovery will be very slow, but in our experience, spinal cord DCS isn't like traumatic injury to the spinal cord; there is at least a potential for improvement. Two years ago we treated a diver with severe spinal DCS who came in essentially paralyzed from the chest down. His symptoms improved with treatment, but he was still self-catheterizing and was unable to walk when he was discharged. About a month ago, he walked in to the clinic unassisted. This is a pretty dramatic example and as you said, each case is different, but tell your friend not to lose hope, and to follow his physical therapy routine religiously.
Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom