Incident Today at Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just about have to be the tubes or close to them.

You know, the first time I dove Gilboa in June, I hurried through the liability release form like I always do every where else and they let you in. This time, there was a young girl behind the counter and she took out a yellow highlighter and highlighted incomplete information that needed filled in correctly. I felt like I was back in high school English class again and went back to my desk to correct my mistakes.

Having said that, I got the feeling there, these people are serious about safety. Just my first impression of their operation.

I just had my first experience with Blue Springs this weekend and it is like night and day compared to Gilboa. The tubes are cold, but not like the bottom of Blue Springs and I believe there is more ambient light in the tubes than there is at the same depth in blue springs.

Mike has his quirks but he runs a first class operation where safety is at the top of the list. Some other places are not run nearly as well.

My condolences to the family and a chin up to the staff at Gilboa. I will still dive there.

My condolences to the family and friends

I have dove at GILBOA ever sence Mike and Jodie have taken it over there atten to
safty is top of the line. and i got hit with the yellow marker also. on the up side mike has done a great job fixing up the place to make it top noch! i will dive there again soon and encourage you all to come dive with me. just make sure your stuff can handle the COLD.

p.s. last sunday water temp at tubes 44

crpntr133:
I didn't question or comment on Mike's operation or safety of the quarry. I agree that Mike and the staff run a top notch quarry.

Could be that the quarry use to be an old native American buriel grounds and they are coming back to haunt all the divers. :D

All I know is I'm the girl with the red vehicle that drives to fast. Good thing I've never let him know how I really feel about cats!

Paula

Betail:
I just had my first experience with Blue Springs this weekend and it is like night and day compared to Gilboa. The tubes are cold, but not like the bottom of Blue Springs and I believe there is more ambient light in the tubes than there is at the same depth in blue springs.

Mike has his quirks but he runs a first class operation where safety is at the top of the list. Some other places are not run nearly as well.

My condolences to the family and a chin up to the staff at Gilboa. I will still dive there.

Did anyone ask you for your c-card at Blue Springs? :D Kinda like night and day compared to just about anyplace.

scubapolly:
Rough year indeed. 66 feet of water. That sounds like the tubes to me. Putting 2 deaths this year in the deep side and 2 in the "shallows".

The word I had on Van's death was his buddies watched him exit and later found him on the dock. Very sad. That conflicts with the article stating he was in the water.

mbsdiver:
My condolences to the family and friends

I have dove at GILBOA ever sence Mike and Jodie have taken it over there atten to
safty is top of the line.

Actually, Mike and Jodie didn't take it over. Mike took it over. Jodie showed up some time later.

It's really unfortunate to hear one of our fellow divers has been injured or died. We might never know the true cause of these deaths but what about Gilboa? Four deaths in a half season. No question they are concerned with safety (liability?) but there is only so much that can be done. What next? Does Gilboa go on, shut down, or place access restrictions on parts of the quarry? I don't use this quarry more than twice a year but I'd really hate to see it go. This is a great place for students and instructors, new divers and old salts.

motorcitydiver:
It's really unfortunate to hear one of our fellow divers has been injured or died. We might never know the true cause of these deaths but what about Gilboa? Four deaths in a half season. No question they are concerned with safety (liability?) but there is only so much that can be done. What next? Does Gilboa go on, shut down, or place access restrictions on parts of the quarry? I don't use this quarry more than twice a year but I'd really hate to see it go. This is a great place for students and instructors, new divers and old salts.

My own opinion is that Gilboa is just a body of water and closing it isn't going to help anything. The divers who would have gotten hurt there will just get hurt someplace else. It's time for the divers and the dive industry to accept some responsibility.

My concern is that someday Mike might lose his stomack for it and just move on to another line of work where there isn't so much death and destruction involved.

I haven't been there for a while but I used to be there all the time. Anybody who knows Mike knows that he takes these things pretty hard. He does what he can to promote safe diving but what can he really do? He has to rely on c-cards and the judgement of the instructors who are teaching. Well, we see how reliable those tools are.

As Ted Nugent said "Wack em pack em and stack em."

Back
Top Bottom