Incident Today at Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
My own opinion is that Gilboa is just a body of water and closing it isn't going to help anything. The divers who would have gotten hurt there will just get hurt someplace else. It's time for the divers and the dive industry to accept some responsibility.

"

I agree with you there. I was more concerned about him being forced to close due to insurance and liability costs after these accidents.

motorcitydiver:
I agree with you there. I was more concerned about him being forced to close due to insurance and liability costs after these accidents.
That would be truly sad. My sympathy goes to all the family and friends of the victims, but I hope that Mike hasn't had to pay a cent for any of the accidents that have happened so far. I hope his waivers stand up and that he can continue to provide a dive site to divers.

do it easy:
That would be truly sad. My sympathy goes to all the family and friends of the victims, but I hope that Mike hasn't had to pay a cent for any of the accidents that have happened so far. I hope his waivers stand up and that he can continue to provide a dive site to divers.

Whether he has insurance pay-outs or not, the insurers re-eval the risk and his rates from time to time.

I know that a few years ago folks were upset that he started charging for pets and non-divers, but both of those can (and have) caused liability issues that can effect his rates.

crpntr133:
Could be that the quarry use to be an old native American buriel grounds and they are coming back to haunt all the divers. :D

At the risk of sounding really off the wall:
Every time I go toward the tubes there is a particular spot where I get this horrible feeling, it feels like something really bad happened there. It doesn't matter if I'm following the road from the tower or if I go along the edge of the quarry and drop over the wall beyond the tubes then come toward the tower, that one spot always leaves me with that creepy, almost panic stricken feeling.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber, with the descriptions you gave us in the AOW of how you are when you get narced maybe that is what is going on.

Aaron

scubaaron2003:
Ber, with the descriptions you gave us in the AOW of how you are when you get narced maybe that is what is going on.

Aaron

I would believe that if the feeling didn't go away as soon as I was beyond the point and come back when I got close to it again no matter how long I've been under.

crpntr133:
Kinda makes you not want to dive Gilboa.

Take the word Gilboa off the end, and you may have a decision to make! :blinking:

Two deaths resulted from regs freezing. No comment of if they were sealed, but my bet is no, and they obviously had no backups.

One death from natural causes, and this one I think will be ruled a drowning, as most diver deaths are.

That could happen anywhere.

Ber Rabbit:
I would believe that if the feeling didn't go away as soon as I was beyond the point and come back when I got close to it again no matter how long I've been under.

Any chains rattling down there? :popcorn:

The mind is a very powerful thing!

To quote one of the guys on the dive boat with us this weekend.
"If you think X isn't safe you probably shouldn't do it."

In this case "If you think diving at Gilboa isn't safe, you probably shouldn't do it."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom