incontinence pads under drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

declan long

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So from my last thread, i dont have time for a pee valve as i dive after tomorrow,

has anyone got any info on diving with incontinence pads, are they just for leeks or can i have a piss in them? how much do they hold, any info please and from people who use them. thanks

declan

How long are you diving for? Get to the drug store and get some Desmopressin (Desmo tabs)

Made for kids to stop wetting the bed, been using for a while now. Perfect.

Other than that. You can get adult diapers from any supermarket. Which will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long are you diving for? Get to the drug store and get some Desmopressin (Desmo tabs)

Made for kids to stop wetting the bed, been using for a while now. Perfect.

Other than that. You can get adult diapers from any supermarket. Which will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am doing 2 hour dives with deco, so obviously need to drink alot of water for hydration. dont like the ideas of theese kind of tablets. thanks for the reply. i am mainly intested in theese pads or nappies like how much piss they hold.

So from my last thread, i dont have time for a pee valve as i dive after tomorrow,

has anyone got any info on diving with incontinence pads, are they just for leeks or can i have a piss in them? how much do they hold, any info please and from people who use them. thanks

declan

Declan,

I've been diving a drysuit since c. 1993, from diving from shore with a nearby lavatory, to diving from a six-pack (with head) on the Great Lakes. I don't have, and have never used, a pee valve. Although I tried to remain well-hydrated, and my Great Lakes dives were longish and in cold water, I never anointed my drysuit undergarments! And at one time I was doing advanced deep-air diving (accelerated deco) having bottom times of 20-25 minutes, run-times of 1-1.5 hours.

Only once did I wish I had a pee valve. But I escaped that scare dry. Next dive outing I wore an adult diaper. I had read somewhere that these things work better for men if you wear them backside-to-front, which I did. Didn't use it, though. And the bulk up front was a bit uncomfortable. Never wore one again, although I always pack a couple for dive outings.

Hope this helps.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. I think the most correct approach is to begin hydrating yourself a couple of days *before* your dive trip commences. Eschew diuretics (e.g., drinks containing caffeine and/or alcohol). And don't suck down a fire hydrant just before you begin your dive. (Doing that is probably too late, anyway.)

You really have read Gary Gentile's "The Technical Diving Handbook" for a very funny story pertaining to this. I use a pee valve when doing the caves or other very long dives. I use Depends for rather short / training dives as a just in case. I wear them under a pair of shorts and no one even knows you are wearing them. I have urinated in them without any complications. At the end of the day, I just rip apart the sides and slide it out and throw it away. Caution yourself to only release in small burst. I have been told that if you unload all at once you might get some spill over because it is coming out faster that the pad can absorb. There is really no way to determine how much it can hold.

Old joke...Wife to husband, "why did you not change his diaper when you first saw that he had soiled it?" Husband replies, "because it said on the package it was good for 3-5 lbs."

That is not a meidcally wise choice, so hopefully the OP is smart enough to skip over it.

Want to find out how much a particular brand will hold enough? Test it out. Wait until you really have to go, put on a pair, lie down on a tarp to get in diving trim and let go. No leaks and you are good.

I used them once. Two and half hours underwater in a swimming pool providing safety cover for an art installation. P Valve wasn't appropriate because it was in a pool full of people.

I took one pee and the blooming thing leaked all over me. I came out with nappy rash.

The problem is that they are designed for people who are relatively upright and aren't being gently squeezed all over as in a drysuit. Being horizontal with a slight squeeze on the suit meant the urine was pushed up and over the waist band of the diaper.

Fortunately, I smell of stale piss at the best of times so no-one noticed any difference.

OK about the Gary Gentile story....it seems that for every morning for a week after awakening he would put ON a diaper, get into the shower, pee and evaluate. He took it off and showered. So what we can learn from this is, one size or brand does not fit all.

Hickdiver is wrong in thinking that they are designed to be worn while upright. I have a lot of paitents in the hospital that use them sitting, laying, standing etc. Maximum Absorbency Garment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK about the Gary Gentile story....it seems that for every morning for a week after awakening he would put ON a diaper, get into the shower, pee and evaluate. He took it off and showered. So what we can learn from this is, one size or brand does not fit all.

Hickdiver is wrong in thinking that they are designed to be worn while upright. I have a lot of paitents in the hospital that use them sitting, laying, standing etc. Maximum Absorbency Garment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"relatively upright" is what I said. The qualification is important which is why I used it.

The OP was about diving with these pads. How many of your patients do you put in drysuit and immerse for a couple of hours swimming underwater in a horizontal position whilst wearing incontinence garments each day?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom