Increasing crime in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not know Chicken Little was Dutch. :hm: You learn something new everyday :D

A friend of mine went with her husband on a birding trip to Tobago. They, along with several others in their group, were robbed at gunpoint while looking at birds along a road. If something like that begins to happen on Bonaire, then I will start worrying.

I've made 5 trips to Bonaire, last one being about 2.5 years ago. The only loss I ever suffered there was my underwater video camera, but not to crime, but rather my housing flooded. I never had anything stolen, however during my last trip, our truck did get rummaged through while we were diving at White Slave. The only thing that was missing was some loose change from one of my buddy's back packs. As others have stated, some basic common sense goes a long way toward avoiding being a victim. Don't bring anything to the dive site that you don't intend to take with you under water, other than flip flops, tshirt, and sunscreen. Leave the truck unlocked, and enjoy your dive. I generally carry $10 or $20 bucks with me, but take them in the water with me. The Subway deli in town never objected to getting wet dollar bills. :)

Not really. If vandalism of trucks is or becomes an issue, rental agency &/or insurance agency response could be a big deal to a lot of us.

Richard.

As mentioned previously, folks tend to have opinions on this perennial topic that run the gamut from head-in-the-sand to Chicken Little. I suggest reading the Bonaire Police reports online (with some help from Google Translate) and then make up your own mind.

http://www.politiecn.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=120&lang=en

We used to keep a styrofoam cooler filled with beer/water with the extra tanks, never touched. Seems as though things are changing. For those of you who frequent facebook, take a scroll on "forum Bonaire" for a little eye opener. We used to laugh about getting our truck vandalized. They can have the water but if they drink our beer, we hunt them down like dogs. Now, what's up with all the gun crime? They can have my flip flops but when 3 perps hold up the desk at a hotel, I'm out. Suppose somebody (you, me) happens upon the armed heist. Or even worse, they kick a few doors in. After reading a couple of months worth in fb I'm happy I don't have a Bonaire trip booked. Haven't been there in a few years, just got an email about Plaza Resort going all inclusive, so I decided to look around. I love the diving, always planned on going back. We drove the whole island last time there, seems getting off the beaten path wouldn't be too bright these days. Hope they turn this around.

After reading the police blotter, I retract my opinion that the perception by tourists of a high crime rate is likely due largely to rental truck-related incidents. An armed robbery of a hotel cashier by 18 year-olds with handguns is something entirely different. There does appear to be an upward trend in serious crime. I am having second thoughts about a trip this Fall that my dive buddies and I have been considering. At first I rolled my eyes at what appeared to be "yet another crime-in-Bonaire thread," but apparently I don't have a handle on the current situation.

Back
Top Bottom