India

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys,
I will be travelling India with my non-diving girlfriend in January & so far this looks to be first first non-diving travelling in +10yrs: HELP!!
So we will be starting (Vagator) & ending (Palolem) the trip in Goa, but from what I hear it is not really worth it to go diving there?
Now I would like to take her somewhere really nice to at least snorkle together or go for 2-3days of really good diving myself.
Now, where do you guys recommend me to go?
-Looked into Netrani, but apparently I can only go there from the shore, havinf to stay in a not so nice place?
-Mailed several people to get me a permit for Lakshadweep, but nobody even replied!
-Looking into Andaman Islands, but as we also want to include Kerala & Hampi, that might take up too much time & money?

So, help a buddy out & please share your wisdom with me ;-)

Hi guys,
I will be travelling India with my non-diving girlfriend in January & so far this looks to be first first non-diving travelling in +10yrs: HELP!!
So we will be starting (Vagator) & ending (Palolem) the trip in Goa, but from what I hear it is not really worth it to go diving there?
Now I would like to take her somewhere really nice to at least snorkle together or go for 2-3days of really good diving myself.
-Looked into Netrani, but apparently I can only go there from the shore, havinf to stay in a not so nice place?
-Mailed several people to get me a permit for Lakshadweep, but nobody even replied!
-Looking into Andaman Islands, but as we also want to include Kerala & Hampi, that might take up too much time & money?

Any one, any tips?

@Bubble Dragon - i went for a 2 tank dive in havelock island (Andaman islands) back in 2006 and found the diving to be quite decent. This was my first ocean/boat dive after getting my OW certification. The diving was done off a local boat .. similar to a canoe with outboard motor.. shallow reef close to shore.. the visibility was very good.. i can recall the fish life as it was so long ago and i dont have my log book handy. Surprisingly the dive shop (run out of a hut) had brand new rental gear ! Havelok island is beautiful topside as well.

I read recently that there is a liveaboard (infiniti liveaboard) launched that does diving in Andaman islands... thats on my todo list .. . maybe you can do that and write a trip report :)

Hi guys,

- Diving Netrani is only possible from shore from a city called Murdeshwar, which has some half decent accommodation but, not really the Island feel and everything is far from holiday resorts, so would only suggest it if you are extremely short on time.
- Who did you email? With reference to our conversation, send me the details and I will see what I can do.
- Lakshwadeep or Andaman would take similar times depending where in Kerala you land as Lakshwadeep can be accessed via a flight from the Kochi airport but, keep in mind rooms in Lakshwadeep are crazy expensive, anywhere from 4 - 8 times the price available in Havelock, Andaman. Also, do note that the flight from Kochi to Agatti Islands, Lakshwadeep is a really small flight and hence has baggage restrictions.

I would not advice the liveaboard as their schedule seems to keep changing, I have inquired in the past and sometimes I have been told that they are not operating anymore and sometimes I have been told that they are closed for repairs.

Maldives would increase your cost and time by two fold atleast and that too if you choose the cheaper Islands and not the expensive resorts. Flights from India are all via Sri Lanka and hence not the cheapest compared to flying to Andaman.

I would say flying to Andaman would add maybe a 2-3 hours extra into your route so if you don't mind adding that it would be much easier to hit Andaman than Lakshwadeep.

But, I can still try hooking you up, send me the details as I requested so I can look it up for you. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom