Indian fatality - Koh Phi Phi, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
It sounds like he completed the dive, boarded, removed his BC, but then fell overboard wearing his weight belt.

New year's eve diving tragedy in Koh Phi Phi | Phuket Gazette
A tragic accident off Koh Phi Phi yesterday (December 31) where a 25 year old Indian tourist, Alok Kumar Shukla, was attempting his first scuba dive. According to the scuba company running the tour, the incident happened during the pick up following the group’s first dive.

“The customer returned to the boat already and got out of his diving gear. He was about to take off the weight belt when he fell overboard. Three people jumped in after him but could not locate him on the choppy surface.”

Three people jumped in with scuba gear to find him. When he was brought to the surface, CPR was provided immediately on the boat with oxygen. The man was then taken to a local hospital. According to police, the medical team used CPR for half and hour but he was later announced dead from drowning.

The dive company has expressed its “deepest condolences to the family and friends”, and say they are “working closely with the police to manage this terrible accident.”

It sounds like he completed the dive, boarded, removed his BC, but then fell overboard wearing his weight belt
Tragic for sure (and you wonder how much weight he was wearing and why he didn't/couldn't ditch the belt). And sounds from the wording like maybe it was a discover-diving thing rather than a certified diver. Given that it was after he was on the boat, even though it involves a piece of diving gear, not sure I'd classify it as a diving accident (IMHO).

- Ken

why he didn't/couldn't ditch the belt
All too common isn't it? Most dead divers are found with weights still on, aren't they. I always practice ditching first dive of every trip.

not sure I'd classify it as a diving accident
Well, no he was not logging a dive at the moment, but any accident that happens because a person went diving - boat sinking, whatever, is a trip accident to learn from.

Not even clear if he was a good swimmer. Be really easy to see how an unexpected fall into the water carrying weight could be a shock, quickly lead to panic and swallowing some water. Does not say but he may have already taken his fins off too which would make any sort of swimming with weight much more difficult.

Tragic for sure (and you wonder how much weight he was wearing and why he didn't/couldn't ditch the belt). And sounds from the wording like maybe it was a discover-diving thing rather than a certified diver. Given that it was after he was on the boat, even though it involves a piece of diving gear, not sure I'd classify it as a diving accident (IMHO).

- Ken
COD: Drowning.
Manner of Death: Accident.
Rule Out Impaired Consciousness/Unconsciousness as precipitating cause.

According to the report, he was about to take off his weight belt when he fell overboard.
Was he knocked-out as he fell overboard or as he hit the water? Unknown. . .

Have seen a lot of Darwin award candidates. Do not see how this one qualifies. Tourist did not decide to jump in the water.

Can't swim, on a rocking boat in the middle of a sea, wearing a weight belt that I don't know how to ditch. What could possibly go wrong.

he may have already taken his fins off too which would make any sort of swimming with weight much more difficult.
Usually the first thing I take off is fins.

I don't use a weight belt often, but when I do, I pass that up to the folks on the boat before I get rid of my fins or remove my bcd (if I need to). I also think too many novice divers tend to forget they are wearing the weight belt, especially if they have been diving weight integrated.

The standard procedure in our part of the world before climbing back to the boat:
1. Weight belt
2. BC
3. Fins
Some experienced divers would just hand over the fins and climb back to the boat. But for the inexperienced or students, this is highly discouraged.
Experienced and observing dm will always be the last back to the boat because he/she might need to dive down to pick up something falling off from the diverS!

Around here it's fins on wrists, up the ladder, sit down, doff belt and BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom