Indonesian Bathroom Hygiene Practices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For some of the places I travel I worry more about being eaten and defecated than eating and defecating.

In the US and parts of Europe they use some sort of carpet in the bathrooms which I truly don't understand at all.
Carpeting in a bathroom in the US is extremely rare (and a stupid choice) - the typical US bathroom flooring is ceramic tile.

Heard a story about a supermarket that hired a load of Sri Lankans in London. They had all sorts of problems from people trying to hop up and squat on the toilet because they thought it was disgusting to put your ass actually on the communal seat.
Few people slipped off and got injured as it was told to me.
Wacky world.

Heard a story about a supermarket that hired a load of Sri Lankans in London. They had all sorts of problems from people trying to hop up and squat on the toilet because they thought it was disgusting to put your ass actually on the communal seat.
Wacky world.
and the chinese!!!!
I can not remember ever seeing a western style toilet in public over there. And they brought along their habit to HK. A lot of toilets(F & M) in commercial buildings are filthy because of them!!!!
Squatting comes natural to them and you will see them even on train/underground platform. It is illegal to do that because it posts danger to others but......

Wacky world.
One of the reasons this sign is becoming more common in Europe

One of the reasons this sign is becoming more common in Europe

chinese tourists.

and since then have always wondered why they never caught on in the U.S.
Humans are creatures of habit, especially things they've done a consistent way since early childhood, and perhaps all the more so when it's an unpleasant hygiene task we may not wish to actively think about much at the time.

My mother-in-law's home has a bidet. I was a bit intrigued and tempted to use it, but when the moment of truth (we'll call it that) arrived, I was like 'Nah, I'm good.'

An elderly relative had a condition I'd never heard of - cubital tunnel syndrome, with ulnar nerve compression leading to atrophy of hand muscles and sensory impairment in part of the hand (little finger and half the ring finger); he was to get surgery to, as I understand it, cut the nerve at the elbow and reroute it, sew it back together, then it restablishes function over several months. I figured if he lost much of his use of one hand for months, that'd be a great time for a bidet. Nope. Could not sell the idea.

Considering that the stereotypical 'dark side' of nursing (and staff who work under them) can include bed pans and wiping butts (e.g.: elderly/infirm patients), seems like a good place to get these things started would be hospitals and nursing homes, but nursing homes are under financial pressure.

Carpeting in a bathroom in the US is extremely rare (and a stupid choice) - the typical US bathroom flooring is ceramic tile.
It was common in the 70s! I grew up with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom