Infinity Bay Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the locals told us about the filming of the fantasy reality show at IB, I could care less if it was there or another place, its all not my style, just like tight jeans and and Affliction t-shirts with white sporty slipon athletic shoes aren't my thing. If you want a very gritty amazing experience, stay away from IB, there are dozens of places around the island that won't feel like a tourist condo like IB does.

No, I've never stayed there so my opinion is probably worthless. All I'm trying to get across is that we had an amazing time being islanders and not tourists. You can choose the way you want to go. I think you get alot more out of life not acting or behaving like a snotty American and diving into the culture head first. Letting go of the comforts of home is a way to have an amazing time in Roatan. Enjoy wherever you stay.

How did you spend time as an islander and not a tourist when you're a tourist? :idk:

What you did was make a lifestyle vacation choice based financially is all.

If you want to live like an islander I think step #1 would be to get a job and go to work everyday during your vacation.

Staying in a less expensive place is not living like an islander, I think it's called staying in a less expensive place during your vacation.:D

By the way how does sleeping on a dirt floor as opposed to a nice comfy down filled mattress on 800 thread count sheets dive you into the culture head first? I didn't know where you lay your head at night defined your cultural diving and experience.

How did you spend time as an islander and not a tourist when you're a tourist? :idk:

By the way how does sleeping on a dirt floor as opposed to a nice comfy down filled mattress on 800 thread count sheets dive you into the culture head first? I didn't know where you lay your head at night defined your cultural diving and experience.
Don't worry Mike,
No dirt floors here, according to their website our "Islander" stayed at one of Roatan's most upmarket hotels with wonderful amenities such as Flat screen TV, Cable, Ipod hook up, Pool, Bar and more. Thats how most Island families I have met live when one of the family can earn a 10 dollar a day salary and then of course they certainly have most meals cooked for them as well. Yep, Thats it. The over 50% unemployment is just a ploy to get those wealthy tourists to give them more money

What you are saying doesn't sound out landish. Isn't it what I already told you in post #8 of this thread?

In regards to your diving, again to repeat and re-enforce it for you, if you're staying at the IB or Mayan Princess you aren't in a dive, dive, dive atmosphere to begin with. You're in exactly what you said you wanted a vacation with diving.

In my opinion based on your descriptions of what you want and if you want to stay in west bay there are only 2 places in the running and you've eliminated one already.

Agree... you did post much of what we're coming to understand now, but who goes and takes a post on an internet forum as the letter of the law? Of course we had to do our own research and reach our own conclusions. Fact is, your advice is seemingly bang on based on our research.

Now the only challenge we really have is deciding if the experience that we would get at the Mayan Princess in Roatan is worth the $4K that the trip would cost us.

Its frustrating because the same flight out to Roatan is $350 in January, but jumps to $875 in March-April. At $350 for flight, this wouldn't be a debate. I'd be renting Patdavies place at IB and calling it a day!

The $4K price tag puts us in the same range as it would cost us to hit a ton of other "higer-end" destinations i.e. Cayman's, Barbados, Turks&Caicos etc...

Still... I WANT to go to Roatan. Just need to be assured that I am making the right choice, and will get my money's worth.

Understandable in my eyes... maybe tough for those of you who have already been to, and fallen in love with the island.

Cheers,
Andre

I think you should stick to your guns and still consider Roatan. Mayan Princess looked like a nice place and I'm sure would be fine. Even if it is AI, you don't have to eat all your meals there. Bananarama is right there and diving with them is pretty inexpensive. They have packages for 5 or 10 dives that would probably work well for you. We were very pleased with them. When are you guys thinking of going?

Timing is the issue I think... Wife just started a new job, so she isn't entitled to take any vacation until March 27th at the earliest. So we'd be looking at leaving anytime between then and say the 2nd week of April.

This is likely to be the only dive trip we get in this year, and one of last for a while as we plan on starting to expand our family this year if you know what I'm saying.

Thats why we are taking our time and trying to make sure that we make this the best trip it can be.

Fact is, your advice is seemingly bang on based on our research.

I have a disturbing habit of doing that :idk:

Its frustrating because the same flight out to Roatan is $350 in January, but jumps to $875 in March-April. At $350 for flight, this wouldn't be a debate. I'd be renting Patdavies place at IB and calling it a day!

Well, in my opinion the costs of flying to some of the lower caribbean destinations has to be mentally recalibrated when compared to some of the closer and more 'main stream' caribbean destinations. $600-$800 per ticket to me is the acceptable range when that number is describing a decent flight time and number of stops to destinations in this category. The differences in visitor numbers, remoteness and distance effect the costs getting to these areas, and now on top of that you have the airlines looking at increasing profitability by reducing capacity which drives up the costs too.

Now the only challenge we really have is deciding if the experience that we would get at the Mayan Princess in Roatan is worth the $4K that the trip would cost us.

The $4K price tag puts us in the same range as it would cost us to hit a ton of other "higer-end" destinations i.e. Cayman's, Barbados, Turks&Caicos etc....

Roatan costs what it costs, Barbados costs what it costs, Turks and Caicos costs what it costs etc...

You seem to me to be mixing apples and oranges. On one hand you are talking about the hotel and on the other you are talking about the destinations. You can spend less money staying on Roatan, but you won't get the same experience.

All you need to do is research the top rated dive destinations to know that Roatan is on the short list, then it just comes down to how much money are you ready to commit tobe able to experience it.

Still... I WANT to go to Roatan. Just need to be assured that I am making the right choice, and will get my money's worth.

Understandable in my eyes... maybe tough for those of you who have already been to, and fallen in love with the island.

Cheers,
Andre

There are no guarantees. You're going to a top dive destination, staying at the nicest beach on the island, staying at one of the 2 best places to stay on that beach. That's all a receipe for a great vacation. Now you need to further define it with a prediscribed dollar amount based on other destinations?????? Apples to oranges. It's going to cost what it costs to exeprience a top dive destination, stay at the nicest beach on the island and stay at one of the 2 best places to stay on that beach. There won't be any guarantees. If you can't afford it you shouldn't go. Turks, the Caymans and Barbados aren't Roatan. If you wants to be on Roatan you have to pay for it.

Its frustrating because the same flight out to Roatan .... jumps to $875 in March-April.

Doing some math here....

$4000 is your total price assuming 2x $875 for air.

That means $1125 each (dbl occupancy) for lodging and food.

Infinity Bay Diving is described here: Roatan Diving and Roatan Vacation Packages | Infinity Bay

It would include a total of 6 dives spread out over two boat rides plus a Shark rodeo or Dolphin pester.

At Mayan Princess... well... diving isn't really even mentioned, is it? I assume that would be an additional cost over and above.

Yes, airfare to Roatan is usually very costly, but for most it is offset be selection of a much less expensive lodging/diving choice.

Understand that for that same price of $1125 each, you can select a comfortable place with good food that has unlimited diving. And the diving is why most people come to Roatan. Not deriding your needs or desires, but.... It's like going to Aspen for Christmas without skiing and wondering why the Jerome Hotel and the direct flight into Aspen Airport costs so much.

Again, as in the first reply post to your original question, IB or MP looks perfect for your stated requirements. For 99% of Roatan's visitors, it doesn't even get noticed as a possible choice... it is simply too comparatively expensive and it is in no way a "dive resort". As Aspen is to skiing, Roatan is to diving.

There is a nice beach there, I'll agree, but IMNSHO, the best beach on Roatan is at Paya Bay... but that's a whole different discussion of yet another seldom used Roatan resort property.

IB or MP is one of the snazziest places on the island, but all things are relative, meaning: It aint the Bitter End Yacht Club in BVI, either. A true, world class upscale service from a resort property is a long way away from appearing on Roatan.

A few places have built up some very posh buildings, even some way better than you are considering (http://www.lawsonrock.com/Buy Condos.html), but the (almost) universal scourge of crappy Bay islands service and pervasive Honduran inconsistency drags them down to meet their "native" appearing competition.

Thanks Mike and Doc! You guys are absolutely right.

One more question for you... how are the weather and diving conditions in Roatan early April vs. Early May?

We just found that the package we are looking at is $300pp cheaper first week of May vs. all of April. Can't quite figure out why. Air only, appears to be priced the same, but the Mayan princess AI package goes from $1275 +taxes to 995+ taxes.

Any insight?

Is that the start of rainy season or something?

Do not be concerned about rain in May. The raint season is more expensive. go figure

Huh? So May is not rainy season, which for some silly reason is more expensive than dry season?!?!? :idk:

Oh well... if that's the case, I guess wait a month, save the $600 and use that to help fund our diving or dive toys (want to buy a housing for my camera and a dive computer).

Prices escalate for the same reason as the Christmas in Aspen analogy.

It's holiday time. Understand that various resorts, especially the ones that you are looking at, focus their marketing at a couple of different continents.

Semana Santa is an expanded version of Easter and another reason to have another mini-mardis gras. Let's party! Or, prices escalate when the weather sucks most "back home".

April and May should be lovely.

Back
Top Bottom