Inflating BC during ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe I have a grasp of what you are saying.

I dive a little negative most of the time. If I stop and breath normal I slowly sink. I a SMALL bit of air and start up venting air as I rise.

I see many people who fin the enitre way up and then fin to maintain their stop they stay negative the whole time. Often you will see them vent their BC 100% then start up.

I prefer to ride the elevator. You should be able to do this and watch your computer slowly click off one foot at a time.

If this is what you are describing I'd say there are no problems at all.

1. Is this absolutely frowned upon, adding air to a BC to ascend or is it something that is done sometimes. Just curious.

2. What exactly does wetsuit compression mean? Is this the wetsuit wrapping tighter around your body resulting in less buoyancy during a descent?

Thanks.
1. I don't see anything wrong with giving your bc a small burst of air to move you from neutral to slightly positive. But if you are truly neutral to begin with, use of the auto-inflator will be unnecessary and be harder to modulate than either inhaling fully or swimming up slightly (creating positive buoyancy as the gas already in your vest expands). And if it seems like the best way to get positive, reassess your weighting--you are probably over-weighted. I think the fact that you are asking the question might signal a dangerous lack of understanding of the basic physics, which is making people nervous about endorsing the practice.

2. I think you understand it: the wetsuit compresses as you go deeper, displacing less water and becoming less buoyant. That is primarily what the buoyancy compensator is for; to compensate for that loss in buoyancy you inflate it, displacing more water.

Last edited:
Kat,
May I please be the first to suggest that you re-do (presumabely you are certified) your open water class. Your question reveals a shortcoming in your training which cannot be overlooked. Please do not think I am making an attempt to be mean, but I am truly concerned about your safety given your present knowledge of basic scuba principles.
Best wishes!

Kat,
May I please be the first to suggest that you re-do (presumabely you are certified) your open water class. Your question reveals a shortcoming in your training which cannot be overlooked. Please do not think I am making an attempt to be mean, but I am truly concerned about your safety given your present knowledge of basic scuba principles.
Best wishes!
I think, based on earlier posts by Kat, that your presumption is incorrect. She is in training now. I also think that answers like this, however polite, have the effect of discouraging questions in this forum. However poorly trained a diver is, we'd certainly prefer that she get some answers here rather than not ask the question at all.

Once a diver has finished a basic course and had a few dives, once you own your own gear, you will get comfortable wearing it and you shoild be able to get your weights correct! It takes practice to do so! I use 6kg of weight and that is a perfect weight for me as I go not need to add air to my BCD on a normal dive say to 60 feet and I can swim to the surface also with ease!
Your BCD is not an elevator and should never be used as one! Get your weights correct and use your own gear and you should never have a buoyancy problem on a normal dive!
Practice is the key word!

If I remember correctly, kat is either just starting or has not started her certification class yet, but she's got lots of curiosity. Kat, a lot of these questions will be answered in your class.

I usually don't inflate anything except my lungs unless we are going deep and I need a little help near the bottom to keep from skidding along the sand or twisted metal. I notice that some divers inflate on the surface and go to their snorkle but I don't find that necessary. I just keep the reg in my mouth and swim to the ladder.

If I remember correctly, kat is either just starting or has not started her certification class yet, but she's got lots of curiosity. Kat, a lot of these questions will be answered in your class.

If so, she might want to edit her ScubaBoard profile so that people can provide more pertinent answers.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile
# of Logged Dives = Not Certified.

Kat,

There are more than one way to skin a cat. For ascending, you can either inflate your BC and float up or swim up. Either way, as you're approaching the surface, you will have to start deflate/venting your BC because the air in your BC is now rapidly expanding.

When you ascend by inflating the BC, your ascension becomes harder to control as you rise and the air in your BC expands very rapidly and next thing you know, you'll rocket to the surface. Of course, when you rocket to the surface, you'd risk all kinds of issues with the bends or lung embolism. Speaking of embolism, that's the main reason why you shouldn't be holding your breath on the way up. The air in your lung will expand and if not exhaled then it will rupture your lung. There's nothing wrong with aiding your ascension by breathing in deeply and fill your lungs. Just make sure that you breath out. And during your dive, you shouldn't be holding air and using your lung like a BC because that will lead to CO2 buildup (blinding headache among other things). You don't have to breath in and out like a runaway train either. Just breath in and breath out normally in controlled rhythm.

A lot of divers unfortunately never get their dive weights done correctly either because they don't own their gears and have to rent (it's tough to figure out your dive weights when you use different gears all the time), or they don't care enough to bother with it. But once you've properly weighted yourself, diving becomes so much easier and effortless. This is very evident at ascension and doing safety stop.

I pretty much got my dive weight adjusted down to a gnat's ass (pardon the French) and when I need to ascend, I simply swim up slowly and I will rise slowly with each fin stroke. As I rise, I stick my corrugated hose out horizontally with the same plane as my shoulder and hit the vent button. In this manner, at whichever depth that I'm at, I automatically have enough air in my BC to maintain buoyancy. By the time I reach 20-ft or so, my BC is empty of air and I maintain neutral buoyancy by breathing in and out (not holding my breath and use my lungs as BC - VERY IMPORTANT!!!) and do my safety stop effortlessly.

If you're too lightly weighted, then you will pop like a cork to the surface at this point. If you're too heavily weighted then you will have to fin hard to stay in place or use your inflator button and risk rocketing to the surface. So if you see a person going up and down, up and down, up and down, struggling at the safety stop, that generally tells you that the person is too heavily weighted. Most divers at this point would just grab onto the anchor line or kelps in order to maintain their safety stops. The only time I would need to hold onto a kelp or an anchor line is if there's a current and I don't want to have drifted a couple of hundred yards away from the boat by the time I finish my safety stop.

So, my suggestion is during ascension, instead of holding the inflator above your head and vent, keep it outward at shoulder level and vent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom