Question Inflation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chimong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I wanted to buy a Cressi Leonardo computer a year ago but eventually didn't. The price was around USD169. Fast forward to today, I was checking it out again on Amazon and found the current price is USD229! Did I remember last year's price wrong or I have been living under a rock while prices have gone up significantly for all diving equipment over the past year?

I wanted to buy a Cressi Leonardo computer a year ago but eventually didn't. The price was around USD169. Fast forward to today, I was checking it out again on Amazon and found the current price is USD229! Did I remember last year's price wrong or I have been living under a rock while prices have gone up significantly for all diving equipment over the past year?

You’ve been living under a rock. Everything has gone up. The Dive Rite sidemount rig I bought last fall has gone up $150 since then. Shearwater computers have increased in price too.

Component and transportation costs have really gone up.

yes..prices have been going up a lot

i have a used one that I don't use anymore..would part with it for 125+shipping

You are living in a country where a lot of information does not get through.
Leonardo is using RGBM algorithm. Read about it.

Buhlmann in any form is better.

Plenty of post about the topic.
Perhaps you were lucky not to have bought it last yr!!!!

Thanks for the information. I guess this is a topic for a different discussion. It seems like you are a fan of computers using Buhlmann algorithm? I have read other posts say that Cressi Leonardo is a perfectly fine entry-level computer?

Thanks for the information. I guess this is a topic for a different discussion. It seems like you are a fan of computers using Buhlmann algorithm? I have read other posts say that Cressi Leonardo is a perfectly fine entry-level computer?
There is no such thing as entry level for rec dive computer. My work horse is 24yrs old.
There is nothing wrong with Leonardo but there are better options.
Crest CR4 if you can get it.

Oceanic Veo 2

I have read other posts say that Cressi Leonardo is a perfectly fine entry-level computer?
Honestly, it's really tough to get a computer that will be a problem for a new diver. As Centrals mentioned, the RGBM algorithm has largely gone out of favor.

Another thing is that the Cressi Leonardo is a single button. Those generally leave a lot to be desired from a User Interface perspective. I would look at 2 button minimum.

Shouldn't questions on inflation be in the Buoyancy Compensator section?

For the OP difference is that in 2020/21 most people were not traveling thus no diving. So good prices for many recreational items could be found. Now people are traveling and there are supply chain issues, thus inflation.

It's not that simple.

There are dozens if not hundreds of pages of discussion on decompression models and algorithms (it's complicated), and Buhlmann ZHL-16 (with gradient factors) is a very widely used algorithm esp. in tech diving, and all of my friends who got bent without any fathomable reason, were relying on Buhlmann ZHL-16/GF.

There is A LOT more to consider than the algorithm alone. It is but a model of reality. I'm sure they would all have got bent on any algorithm as VPM, RGBM and Buhlmann ZHL-16/GF do not differ that much unless you do some really deep dives or a mindless amount of them in a short period of time (aka liveaboard).

But which algorithm and what settings are truly the best - for what dives and to whom - that I do not know.

I am not an expert in this field - very few are - hence I can only refer to credible sources for information (you'll need to open the link in Youtube):

- I found this on a Scubaboard thread.

Divers got bent for various reasons and algorithm has nothing to do with it. I will leave "deep stop" in tec diving alone.

Plenty of manufacturers are using RGBM. But make sure to follow all the "safety" rules. Otherwise you will find your ndl for the subsequent dive reduces significantly. No reverse profile!
Read the manual and understand it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom