Inflator hose in middle of wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwbp225

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've noticed that the DSS wings have the inflator hose mounted on the middle of the wing versus on the left like most.

The DSS gear seems very well thought out, so I'm sure there is a reason other than aesthetics. Does this interfere with the first stage and hoses? What advantages does this positioning offer?

Also, what are the differences between the Tropical Travel Wing and the Torus 17?

Thanks!

I own the tropical travel wing. I have used it in Okinawa, Guam and Cancun. I also wondered about the hose location. But since it isn't a pull dump valve, center seems best for letting air in and out evenly. I don't notice any interference with my first stage while diving.

Difference between the ttw and torus is I think the ttw has a simpler design. It is sewn around the perimeter and lays flat when deflated. You can roll it up in a six inch square and stick it in a carry-on bag. It also dries very quickly.

I've noticed that the DSS wings have the inflator hose mounted on the middle of the wing versus on the left like most.

The DSS gear seems very well thought out, so I'm sure there is a reason other than aesthetics. Does this interfere with the first stage and hoses?

No not really, although some of our competition would like you to believe it does.

What advantages does this positioning offer?
A center location simply means you don't need to raise one shoulder to vent via the hose.

Also, what are the differences between the Tropical Travel Wing and the Torus 17?

These two wings differ in construction. The Torus 17 is a conventional "double bladder" wing, meaning it has a sewn out shell covering a inner RF welded urethane bladder. The TTW is a "single bladder" wing, meaning it is constructed from a single layer of nylon / urethane laminate.

Many BC's are constructed this way. Any inflatable with the seams to the outside, that are finished with "tape" are likely single bladder.

The advantages of single bladder construction is lighter weight, smaller travel size and faster drying. The disadvantage is a less robust wing compared to a wing built with a true 1050 ballistic outer shell and 22 mil thick inner bladder.

Tobin

inflator hose mounted on the middle of the wing versus on the left like most.

The hose connection is also beveled, and you can rotate it a click or two counterclockwise (toward the left) when re-attaching it. It will still come out of the middle of the wing, of course, but it will favor the left side. Assuming that's okay -- that's what I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom