Info and Discussion...Roatan Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey @Colo Hippie - have you had a chance to go over and check out the "other side" yet???

Hey CajunDiva

No we have not been over to the dark side since we moved here, we have been very busy receiving and unpacking our stuff from the states ( a full shipping container) and I have been to Tegus looking for a car. Every time we have the chance, the boss(aka wife) vetos it because the weather has not been favorable to dive the south side. The wind has been from the east running 15-20 mph for almost a month straight. As an example, yesterday the south side had 6-9 ft waves. It was banging hard!!!! None of the shops are diving the south right now.

No worries though, living here we will get to go dive the south east. We are enjoying the north and west though And my wife is learning to dive off of our kayaks

Edit- for some reason none of my smilies posted

Ps We have dove the CCV wall/Prince Albert/ and other SEsites so we know the beauty of the SE side.

It is awesome having our tanks and diving for $3.50 per fill.

Last edited:
So we broke down and dove with Bananarama today, dove Hole in the wall (love that dive). And Sea Quest Deep ( it is straight off the bottom of our road). This is the first time we dove Sea Quest. We have a new favorite. The mooring is in 40 ft and it is sand with intermittent coral heads then going out the wall drops to 60 ft then gently slopes down.

Tons of cleaner stations!!!!!!!!!. No big stuff but just a really cool site for the topography.

I love living here :rain:

Dove Butchers Bank and Sea Quest on Tuesday. Awesome dives, saw a green sea turtle and a couple Hawksbill turtles, also saw a brown spotted eel, along with all the usual characters

Dove Mandy's Eel Garden (yes again). Spent 15 minutes in the sand after the first channel before the wall watching a Spotted Eagle Ray foraging for food in the sand about 8-12 away from us. It was amazing, while they are digging they lower their rear fin into the sand to stabilize themselves while they dig. I am ASSuming that because it is on West Bay they are used to people so it did not bolt, not that it matters, it was F'ing. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have dove many places in different parts of the world and I will rate this experience up there with some of the best we have ever had the pleasure to experience. The wife said she would have been happy to end the dive after that. LOL.

I think I can now convince the wife to do Mandy's on a weekly basis.

PS we are trying to set up a shore dive on the Prince Albert Monday or Tuesday, hopefully everything comes together as we are planning on takin a couple island newbies

You're very fortunate to have had the opportunity to observe an eagle ray for that long a period! I love experiencing critter behavior - thanks for the post :)

We'll be going next Friday with a great group if you'd like to join us!

You don't have to be a guest at Media Luna Resort to come and dive with Aqua Adventures. We'd love to dive with you some time :)
We'll be going next Friday with a great group if you'd like to join us!

You don't have to be a guest at Media Luna Resort to come and dive with Aqua Adventures. We'd love to dive with you some time :)

I wish I would have tapped into this forum long time ago when I was desperate to go diving and nobody to go with !! You sound like a great person/ group to join on a trip in the future and thanks for providing such fantastic info for other people here. I finally found some friends () who agreed to go with me next Feb.....but....that's a long wait !

My luck is holding. We dove yesterday and I saw a freakin sailfish hitting a small bait ball. I only saw it for a second or two but it was amazing. The wife was hanging with 2 spotted eagle rays on the second dive

Every time we have the chance, the boss(aka wife) vetos it because the weather has not been favorable to dive the south side. The wind has been from the east running 15-20 mph for almost a month straight. As an example, yesterday the south side had 6-9 ft waves. It was banging hard!!!! None of the shops are diving the south right now.

You used to be able to download full years from Weather Underground. I have 1996 to 2013.

The number of days an East (E, ENE, ESE) wind hits the south side at over 25 km/h (15.5 mph) is about 66 per year. The number of days with any other direction of wind over 25 km/h is about 2 per year.

Yes, there is a "Norther" a couple of times a year. But the south side gets hit by that kind of wind 66 days per year.

The chances of lost diving days on the south side are much higher than the north side. Also, the north side shops taking people around to the south side shows that they are willing to put in the extra work and expense to make the most out of their guests' vacation days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom