Info and Discussion...Roatan Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CajunDiva

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Divers. We have many experienced divers here on ScubaBoard, and many of you have been to Roatan numerous times. I thought it might be fun to start a thread about Roatan's dive sites. Which sites have you experienced? Are there any you didn't like...why? Are there any you particularly enjoy...why? There are so many great pictures and stories out there - let's share some of them :)

I'll start...

My all time favorite dive site is Calvin's Crack, located on the south shore of Roatan - all the way "out east". I'll never forget the first time I dove Calvin's Crack. I was a brand new diver and was afraid of my own shadow. I remember quizzing our dive master about the crack: "How big is the opening?" "Is it open at the top?" "How far do we have to swim inside the crack?" "Is there a way out?" "I'm afraid I'll be claustrophobic!"

All of my trepidation turned to wonder the moment I entered the crack and started swimming through. It's incredible! Truly one of the best dive experiences ever. Then you get to the end of the crack and exit onto a beautiful wall at approx. 80-85 ft. The reef is particularly pretty in this area. As you ascend the wall and head back up the reef, you're sure to spot the overhang where "Thib the Toadfish" (short for Thibodeaux ;-) lives. Thib has been one of my favorite subjects to observe in Roatan and has provided many interesting spottings over the years.

Thib the Toadfish.jpg

I never realized there was a "Mrs." Thib, but that fact is in evidence because the last time we dove Calvin's Crack in April of 2016 we observed 4 toadfish in the vicinity! Thib has been busy :wink: That means my favorite dive site will continue to provide fun critter spottings in the years to come. I'm going back next week to see if the family has grown any more. We'll be diving with the Aqua Adventures gang out of Media Luna Resort & Spa...stay tuned!

Just say yes to Crack

Calvins Crack, the "the blind slot". (not for noobs, but not expert either)

@CajunDiva There are no spots on Roatan that I inherently dislike and it will be many more years before I can say that I have done them all. That said, I am inclined toward the less trafficked areas, especially during high season. I have been caught up in a traffic jam of cruise ship divers one too many times at Mary's Place to want to go back, except during night dives.

To your question, Insidious Reef is very unspoiled with huge gardens of black coral and a number of unusual denizens. It's located a couple miles out from Mahoghany Bay on the way to Cara a Cara.

Pirate's Point offers a similar experience. It is a slow drift between CCV and Parrot Tree. There are cleaning stations everywhere which attract all kinds of interest.

Even though it is a busy spot, I love diving the wall between Missing Link and Gold Chain Reef. The upwelling brings so much activity that I can easily lose myself in its splendour.

I have less experience on the North Shore but I am always amazed by White Hole, Overheat and Deep Eel Garden. Very different reef structure and quite a bit more macro life.

Of course, Connie's Dream and Marilyn's Font Porch hold a special place in my heart because they are OUR front porch from our condo in Brick Bay! Great for snorkelling with the kids!

I have never been to Carib Point. I do most of my diving with Barefoot and they rarely go farther than Half Moon Bay, unless it is very calm and there are few divers. As such, the southeast shore is largely a mystery to me.

Morat Wall / Barberetta is another area that is on my Roatan bucket list. Some of the smaller dive ops near Camp Bay do full day trips that sound like a blast. We will probably do this next summer when we stay for a longer period.

We'll be going next Friday with a great group if you'd like to join us!

You don't have to be a guest at Media Luna Resort to come and dive with Aqua Adventures. We'd love to dive with you some time :)

That's very nice of you to offer @CajunDiva. We will be on Roatan next week for a short trip with another family. Their kids will be doing Bubblemakers / DSDs at Barefoot. If I can get away for a day or two, I will shoot you a PM. If not, we will be less rushed on our next trip during the summer. Looking forward to some southeast island action!

We just returned from a week at Turquoise Bay. Our group enjoyed Rock Star so much we did it twice. The wreck at the Far West end, the Aguila, was my first real wreck dive and was a blast. It was a shorter dive though because we had some newer divers in the group and air usage was an issue at 109 feet.

Safe travels,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom