info on canon series...from alternative to 5050 post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just didn't want this to get lost...

ssra30 said:
One of the disadvantage of the canon series (at least for the A series, not sure if it is the same with the S series also) is that once the camera is in the housing, you have to leave the camera in the on position.

I have the A20 (for more than a year) and have been using the A70 (January) in Canon WP-DC series housings. I can turn the camera on and off whenever I need to - I do not need to leave it in the on position. On the A70 I could access all controls.

Not sure if I am misunderstanding what ssra30 is talking about, but as I read the above it is simply not correct. I often have the camera loaded the previous day...

Just my two cents today...

For the S50, there's some button combo you can press to shut the thing down. It also has a automatic power-down after a user-inputted time delay. And you can conserve a heap of power by turning off the LCD (push one button to do that).
I need to recollect what the shut-off button recipe was? Help!

archman:
For the S50, there's some button combo you can press to shut the thing down. It also has a automatic power-down after a user-inputted time delay. And you can conserve a heap of power by turning off the LCD (push one button to do that).
I need to recollect what the shut-off button recipe was? Help!

sorry, can't help...in the A series you simply push the same button you would if you were on land!

I have never had a battery problem with the A series. I use either 1700 or 2100 rechargeables. Both sets will give me well more than 2 75 minute dives using the LCD and shooting, reviewing, changing modes and shooting again and then flipping through them on the way back to shore. In fact, even on my three dives in a row I have not changed batteries now that I think of it...but everyone's batteries are different.

To shut off the S50 while still in the housing, you hold the white balance function (WB/Func.) button down for over 5 seconds. To turn the camera back on, just press the shutter button down halfway. I did this numerous times last weekend in Cozumel. :D

Each day my battery lasted through 2 boat dives, with some picture review on the boat while heading back to shore. I changed to a freshly recharged battery each morning. If I had to guess, I would estimate that I left the display on about half the time I was underwater. This was my first trip with this camera and I was very pleased with the camera, however, I need a lot more practice... :wink:

for the SD100, you can turn it on and off underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom