Info on PST Steel Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisdr2004

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just was wondering what ever happened to this company "PST Steel Tanks"
Are they still around? Are there tanks considered good or garbage?
Cant seam to find out much about them so If you know let me know I would appreciate it

Without sounding crass, there is a lengthy thread on here somewhere about them, do a search. Basically the company no longer exists and the DOT cert has to be updated every few years. There is always the possibility it won't get renewed and the tanks no longer are allowed to be hydro'd. At least that is what I understand from the ongoing saga.
Personally, I have 4 and love them dearly.

Without sounding crass, there is a lengthy thread on here somewhere about them, do a search. Basically the company no longer exists and the DOT cert has to be updated every few years. There is always the possibility it won't get renewed and the tanks no longer are allowed to be hydro'd. At least that is what I understand from the ongoing saga.
Sounds about right.
The two HP100s I have are my favorite tanks.

thank you

PST is out of the SCUBA cylinder biz.
Still a well loved tank.
Special Permit tanks 3500\3442psi have to have the permits renewed every 5? years. They tend to lapse, everybody freaks, and then a month or two later the permits get renewed, and life goes on (no hydros until the permit is restored).
The hydro test requires a specific roundout prestretch procedure (not specific to PST) because they are hot-dipped galvanized.

Love them, I have 10 3500s and 4 3442s ...

PST is out of the SCUBA cylinder biz.
Still a well loved tank.
Special Permit tanks 3500\3442psi have to have the permits renewed every 5? years. They tend to lapse, everybody freaks, and then a month or two later the permits get renewed, and life goes on (no hydros until the permit is restored).
The hydro test requires a specific roundout prestretch procedure (not specific to PST) because they are hot-dipped galvanized.

Love them, I have 10 3500s and 4 3442s ..
thanks for the info

Pressed Steel made alot of cylinders. DOT tanks good forever (or until fail hydro). I have cylinders from the 50's that are still fine with a plus rating.

Yes, PST is out of the scuba business. IIRC, they were acquired by G3. G3 renewed the cert when they were contacted, so it's good through November 2026. IIRC, they were contacted by a member here.

Latest story including a copy of the approval are in this thread.

Just was wondering what ever happened to this company "PST Steel Tanks"
Are they still around? Are there tanks considered good or garbage?
Cant seam to find out much about them so If you know let me know I would appreciate it
The tanks are good. There is a special permit that has to be renewed every 5 years, which was last re-approved less than a year ago. PST was bought by another company (forget which), that acted fairly quick to get that permit renewed when they were contacted by SB members.

Back
Top Bottom