Information Overload! Two weeks in November - where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flowerpecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Clearly, after having read every post in this forum at least once, I will need to make multiple trips to the PI in order to dive in all the best places! However, I've got about 15 days in country for my first visit (first two weeks in November) and want some advice on how to best use this time. I'm looking for info on places to go, dive operators and lodging. My "criteria:"

1. I'm pretty sure I want to go to just two locations - about six days at each place - rather than move around a lot. On diving days I'd like to be able to do at least three dives/day, including some night dives.
2. Diving interests... well... primarily, but certainly not exclusively, macro. I'll be taking my still camera and want to spend at least some time on photo ops. Pelagics, walls, drift dives - all are definitely of interest as well - wrecks are at the bottom of the list and though it'd be nice to hit a couple I won't be hurt if I don't do any on this trip. I'm not hung up on seeing any specific critters - just want to see new stuff in warm, blue water (compared to my cold, green water!)
3. Dive operators: I'll have my own gear so I'm not worried about rental quality, but obviously want a reputable shop, good safety record, and conservation attitude towards the environment. Small groups, good guides, more dives/day are all plusses.
4. Trip is primarily for diving, but I want to be somewhere I can hike/kayak/bird watch for a couple of days (especially those days before flights) as well.
5. Lodging - Clean, quiet (especially at night), private bath, easy to get to the dive site/shop/dock, walking distance to local restaurants. Cost isn't a major issue but I'd rather spend my money on other things - like diving and eating - and would prefer to find a place that's well under $100/night.
6. Night life is NOT a requirement and may even be a turn-off depending on the lodging situation.
7. I like to eat local - I guess this shouldn't be a problem! - so would prefer not to be in a place that's focused exclusively on tourists.
8. Getting there - I'll spend the money on flights so as not to waste time on long ferry trips - I'm expecting to spend three days on "travel" once I'm in country - Manila to Site A, Site A to Site B, then back to Manila. If it takes all day to complete the travel that's fine but I don't want to spend more than one day getting from place to place.
8. Places that have particularly caught my interest so far, for various reasons, are Dumaguete, Palawan, Anilao and Bohol but every time I start reading about them I find myself following links to yet other great-sounding places!

Thanks in advance!

I just got back from Bohol and Paliwan. From what you're wanting, I'd recommend Bohol. I dove with SeaQuest & stayed at their resort Oasis. Quiet. Clean. Adorable. Good food. Great staff.

Totally bummed that I only stayed there for 4 days.

based on your preferences, i would suggest bohol and sogod bay or puerto galera. depends on where you stay, you can avoid the few girly bars in puerto galera.

if you want to be manila based then anilao is you best bet.
i suggest aquaventure for price, good guides, great staff, and best of all the best food in anilao

you could hit bohol, siquijor and dumaguete in one trip afaik. you could fly to bohol do a couple of dives there and then take a fast ferry to dumaguete dive there take another short ferry to siquijor and dive again. most paces i go to there are in the range of 20 to 50 dollars a night. diving in the range of less than 20 to 30 dollars depending on operators. hitting those sites via the route i mentioned is almost like going on a dive safari!

pm me if you need referals and good luck

I've read about Oasis - nice to hear about a recent, positive experience - I'll keep Bohol on my list then! What did you think of Palawan? TIA -

Meh... Palawan was okay. The dive shop was top notch (SeaDive), the accomodations were ugly but clean, and the dives were wrecks with reduced vis.

I suppose I'm just not a wreck-girl. If I wanted poor vis - I'd stay home. If I wanted to look at rusted metal - I'd clean the backyard. The wrecks and their history were fascinating, but not pleasant.

I want to see pretty fish.

BTW, I think that Oasis does an island-hopping/dive-sharing with another resort in Cebu.

Also, I paid excess luggage charges on my way back from Bohol, and both ways to Palawan. (anywhere from 1200 - 2000p)

I'm with you on the pretty fish and I know what you mean about poor viz - right now I've got about one foot viz at home and plenty of metal junk on the seabed! Anilao and Bohol or Dumaguete sound like they may be more what I'm looking for.

Try looking up Mantangale. its the gateway to camiguin and northern mindanao diving

Two weeks only?
Puerto Galera would be your best stop, then Anilao.
Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers for Puerto Galera
Welcome to Aqua Venture Reef Club! Live out a real diver's dream at Aquaventure Reef Club, Anilao, Batangas -- Luzon's premiere watersport haven and family resort. for Anilao.
The two week restriction is the main point here.
Bohol would also be a great choice, but it is a flight away from Manila, that will restrict your diving time by waiting for safe flight time to and from. Puerto Galera and Anilao are two hour drive south of Manila.

You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom