inhale from reg exhale from nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you discovered the Rubicon Research Repository?

BTW, welcome to diving and Scubaboard. It won’t be long before I'm asking you questions. :thumb:
Thank you. have not heard of Rubicon and I am checking it out now. I am looking forward to do more diving and being more involved. BTW i am an engineer too and do not have a good understanding of molecular biochemistry..just pure gas dynamics and fluid flow. Once you start adding the biology part to it it gets far too complicated for my taste :)

Best thing to do is ditch the mask with the purge valve and get yourself a good low volume mask. Just my opinion though..

I agree you should get a new mask. Without the purge valve you'll probably find that exhaling too much through your nose contributes to mask leaks. Every time the mask skirt opens up to let out air a little water can leak in. This is especially true when the air in your mask leaks out the top if you are in a head up position. Then you have to keep clearing the mask....

So having a mask without the purge valve might help train you to limit your nose-exhaling just to help stop leaks.

I really would not worry about CO2 retention caused by exhaling through your nose.

Interesting discussion. I had always wondered why for SNORKELING, that exhaling through the nose wasn't taught, as I thought it would reduce or eliminate the "stale air" that you exhale in the snorkel, and then inhale again. That seems like it would be a real benefit.

I figured that there had to be a reason it wasn't a widespread technique. I guess I know the reason now.

... BTW i am an engineer too and do not have a good understanding of molecular biochemistry..just pure gas dynamics and fluid flow. Once you start adding the biology part to it it gets far too complicated for my taste :)

Boy can I relate. My wife (who is a retired oncology research RN) and I have a clear division of labor. Inanimate and/or heavy is mine, past and present living cells are hers. Man am I thankful that the majority of dust has biological origins!

Last edited:
Honestly this is not much of a problem if I dont exhale through nose I would only have to do it every once in a long while...if i get little water in
the main advantage is less bubbles and maybe overall better feeling while breathing (sorry cant be more descriptive)
How is it less bubbles when you have to expel the same amount of air? Also, most mask purge valves are under the nose from what I've seen, so I would think that the bubbles would be even more distracting as they'd stream right up in front of you?

Interesting discussion. I had always wondered why for SNORKELING, that exhaling through the nose wasn't taught, as I thought it would reduce or eliminate the "stale air" that you exhale in the snorkel, and then inhale again. That seems like it would be a real benefit.

That's actually what we were taught in swimming class (surface swims with a snorkel were part of the training at my club). That's also what makes most sense for me while snorkeling.

That's actually what we were taught in swimming class (surface swims with a snorkel were part of the training at my club). That's also what makes most sense for me while snorkeling.

For scuba, it seems that resistance to exhaling through the mask is bad for breathing.

Maybe on the surface, with no real water pressure, exhaling through the mask isn't that big a deal.

It does seem like Id prefer to breath in some nice fresh air, instead of a snorkel full of my exhaust.

I actually once googled this as a snorkeling technique and didn't find anything. I'd love to hear some authoritative approval of this as a snorkeling technique.

I'd love to hear some authoritative approval of this as a snorkeling technique.
AFAIK, my instructor is now in jail (for something unrelated), can't go and ask him :confused:.

However, I think you might find something from triathlon, I believe they train a fair bit with snorkels.

How is it less bubbles when you have to expel the same amount of air? Also, most mask purge valves are under the nose from what I've seen, so I would
think that the bubbles would be even more distracting as they'd stream right up in front of you?
I guess my mask has patented channel design that disperses the bubbles away from your view, at least according to the photos on amazon
Nearsight Optical Corrective Lenses Scuba Snorkeling Mask, GDBK, -1.5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLLO828/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_zNaszbHC9N8RF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom