Innovation in diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know what? I have been serious from the start. I have been damn serious through over 23 pages and the sad part is that you do get it but your pride or something else is getting in the way of admitting it. I am not the person that you should be asking, "what could have gone wrong in my dive that day not having a Dive Computer/Bottom Timer." You are the person that you should ask that question to. You know how to dive and what is right and what is wrong. I have said before that I have made some bad decisions and was lucky enough to live another day and learn from it. Sometimes you have to decide to dive or just walk away. Nothing wrong with just walking away.

So with that said. I really have nothing more to offer you. I only hope and pray that I have been vocal enough to sway others from doing the same mistake as you did.

You know what? I have been serious from the start. I have been damn serious through over 23 pages and the sad part is that you do get it but your pride or something else is getting in the way of admitting it. I am not the person that you should be asking, "what could have gone wrong in my dive that day not having a Dive Computer/Bottom Timer." You are the person that you should ask that question to. You know how to dive and what is right and what is wrong. I have said before that I have made some bad decisions and was lucky enough to live another day and learn from it. Sometimes you have to decide to dive or just walk away. Nothing wrong with just walking away.

So with that said. I really have nothing more to offer you. I only hope and pray that I have been vocal enough to sway others from doing the same mistake as you did.

I asked myself that question on the day I forgot the tapper-ware box with the electronics and after some serious thinking I concluded that that day on that dive as planned a Dive Computer/Bottom Timer was irrelevant.

To this moment I can't find any other conclusion because the dive was planned and executed to be carried out without Dive Computer/Bottom Timer and nothing was miscalculated.

If you ever wake up one morning and figure out what emergency a Dive Computer/Bottom Timer could have solved or prevented that day on that dive, post it here and I will read it with interest.

Last edited:
i-came-out-of-the-ocean.jpg

Attachments

• i-came-out-of-the-ocean.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 24
    7.7 KB · Views: 26

Attachments

7.7 KB · Views: 23
    7.7 KB · Views: 21
@gianaameri

When you are dead you are dead, you won't know it. Only those around you will suffer. The same is true when you are stupid!!

@gianaameri

When you are dead you are dead, you won't know it. Only those around you will suffer. The same is true when you are stupid!!

• You can’t breathe water
• You can’t swim through rock/steel
• Extra gas is never too heavy to carry
• Murphy is your eager and willing dive buddy

DIR is nice, but I rather dive DW²: “Doing What Works”!!!
:crafty:

Gee, you must not be STUPID, but a GENIUS!

Can you help Tony and THINK a "what if" scenario where a Dive Computer/Bottom Timer could have saved my life or prevented my death during my dive that day?

I don't need help...you do. Everybody else, just let Gian do what he wants and try to prevent him from infecting the divers just starting down the path to tech and cave diving. Hell, Gian I'll even give you a like...might be that only one you ever receive. Mods close this thread.

I don't need help...you do. Everybody else, just let Gian do what he wants and try to prevent him from infecting the divers just starting down the path to tech and cave diving. Hell, Gian I'll even give you a like...might be that only one you ever receive. Mods close this thread.

Mods started the thread and can close the thread if they want.

Now, I break Scuba 101 rules and "conventions" (i.e. Tec diving BS) and more than one because it either does not add to my risk or in 99.999% of the cases it reduces my risk.

1. I "yo-yo" dive (not my choice in a cave).
2. I dive "solo."
3. I dive "rebreather solo."
4. I "solo rebreather cave dive."
5. I "modify my rebreather" (it is a hybrid between a Pelagian and an eCCR Meg).
6. I "build my own rebreather electronics" (to complement and not replace original manufacturer electronics).
7. I build my own rebreather pPO2 monitor.
8. I build my own rebreather CO2 monitor.
9. I carry "too much gas" (so Tony says...)
10. I replace N with O2 to reduce narcosis by diving N32 (as opposed to Air in a cave).
11. I dive with no weight belt and no weights (when using a rebreather).
12. I dive with no weight belt.
13. I dive with no back-plate.
14. My rebreather is ditcheable and not fixed.
15. I do not carry a 2 or 3 liter (i.e. small) rebreather diluent bottle.
16. My longest regulator hose is cm. 74 (and if I could make it usable/comfortable and shorter I would).
17. I dive under cave lines.
18. ...

On this one occasion on this dive on that day because I forgot the tapper-ware box (first time in 29 years I forget my SCUBA electronics) with inside my home-built additional rebreather pPO2 monitor and OSTC 2N Dive Computer and Uwatec 330 Bottom Timer I had to make an executive decision:

1. Go home, or
2. find a solution.

I went for route 2. and found a solution and the solution was to plan and execute the dive in a manner such that a Dive Computer and Bottom Timer and pPO2 monitor would not be required.

So, I left the rebreather in the car boot. I decided not to carry out an exploration dive. I reduced the dive plan to a route where the cave had been surveyed and I had personally verified many times (400+) which means I knew the depth of each waypoint to which the line was attached to and the distances and I knew that there was not a chance I could get into a deco situation.

I broke deliberately one more rule on that dive.

I was taught not to dive under the cave line, but to ALWAYS dive above it (which I ALWAYS did)... except on that dive since I had my thinking hat on I questioned the logic/validity/applicability of that rule.

I am diving with a scooter and on two occasions there is a much wider and safer gap/route if I were to go under the line (i.e. between the line and the cave floor), than above it (i.e. between the line and the cave ceiling)... so on two occasions broke another "rule" and went under... and surprise, nothing happened and it was easier and safer.

So, we have established I break rules and conventions, but in my risk assessment, given the environment in which I dive, given the dives which I do, and given I think with my own thinking head, given that I do not follow rules blindly, given that I do not trust electronics (but only "use" them)... in my risk assessment it is SAFER for me to do as I do.

Now, granted that in the specifics of that dive that day there is NO BENEFIT whatsoever NOT to carry a Dive Computer and Bottom Timer, which means by all means it should have been carried as a matter of course, given I did not have either (did not have my home-built pPO2 Monitor either), I made a risk assessment and concluded (rightfully or wrongfully) that on that dive that day as planned it would not have made a dildo of a difference whether I had a Dive Computer/Bottom Timer or not (or a PPO2 Monitor cause I left the rebreather in the boot of the car).

I made a risk assessment and took a calculated risk. I could have miscalculated or made an error of judgement.

I did not (but I remain with an open mind in case you can think of a single "what if" scenario in which a Dive Computer/Bottom Timer on that day that dive could have saved my life or prevented my death/injury).

Last edited:
So, I left the rebreather in the car boot. I decided not to carry out an exploration dive. I reduced the dive plan to a route where the cave had been surveyed and I had personally verified many times (400+) which means I knew the depth of each waypoint to which the line was attached to and the distances and I knew that there was not a chance I could get into a deco situation.

Except for the section that you have never been to before...so it was an exploration dive. Right? I have to agree with you on one point. Going under lines was not a good decision. Have fun and just remember computers , bottom timers and depth gauges might assist you in an emergency....but they help you in preventing the emergency. In the enviroment we both dive in prevention is the key.

Except for the section that you have never been to before...so it was an exploration dive. Right? I have to agree with you on one point. Going under lines was not a good decision. Have fun and just remember computers , bottom timers and depth gauges might assist you in an emergency....but they help you in preventing the emergency. In the enviroment we both dive in prevention is the key.

I went into a dry-chamber which I had never entered into before following the last few meters of a line which was known/familiar but which last few meters I had never followed before on rebreather (i.e. backmount) because of the angle at which said cave line entered the dry-section (I wanted to avoid the risk of hitting the top of the cave with backmount equipment where the water ends and the dry section begins as to avoid dislodging a potential avalanche of mud and/or stone).

In short, I did not follow an unknown line into the abyss, but I followed a known and surveyed line to the surface - that is I SURFACED (and that does not increase deco or require a Dive Computer/Bottom Timer).

If that constitutes "exploration" is debatable (but I accept it might given ego driven tec divers and "famous" experts aggrandise their otherwise ordinary BS ordinary dives).

So, Tony, exactly what emergency (i.e. state the emergency) could have been "prevented" (to use your own words) by the Dive Computer/Bottom Timer (which admittedly I did not have breaking Scuba 101 rule) that dive on that day?

By all means, if you can state one, I am happy to admit that "Ah, I did not think about that one!"

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom