Input Needed for Blue Hole Improvements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would help to get some idea of the scope of what we are discussing. I think a lot of these decisions have been made, or that is how it was presented to me.

That's what I thought, too.

As of last weekend, construction is definitely underway, but mostly at the dirt work stage. The old building is gone, and Stella's compressor is in a temporary building over by the restrooms.

It appears they are working on a foundation for the planned building, but there are also piers in it. I heard that the ground is "mushier" than they expected. If so, that could increase construction costs more than they budgeted for.

I'm going again tomorrow. Maybe I can take some pictures.

In any case, the very fact that they asked for suggestions may mean that there is still a chance to give some input. Never hurts to try!

Has the construction started? Any good progress been made? I've not been down there for a few months.

I was down there last weekend. The construction is going about as slow as the food coming out of Josephs.

Bruce

So seriously, what is the plan? I can't believe we are going to park in the lot, cross the creek and enter through a building. That makes no sense, unless they plan on putting the parking on the other side, which would be ludicrous. For that matter, what is the building going to consist of? What exactly are they building? I have a bad feeling about this.

Bruce

..."the ground is "mushier" than they expected." Bless the stupid hearts of anyone who didn't know that water seeps under the ground and thru the now gone fill shack. I do hope that their "enter thru the building" idea does not include building high and close - which could weaken the walls of the volcanic throat. "Wow, we were surprised at that cave in too."

All my whining about the blocked stairs, and my agreement about how lame it would be to enter thru a building - I have an idea. We climb on top like the jumpers do and giant stride from above. Good training for high decked boats. :eyebrow:

Stella's Sugar Shack has been in place for a while now (March maybe?), and the old building was gone I believe last I visited (May).

The plans for a floating foundation due to the high water table have been finalized for a while as well, but it sounds like they are moving at an Ant's pace in the construction if the foundation is not complete after two months of work (assuming they ARE working).

It should not take more than a couple weeks to do the foundation on a building that size floating or no, so typical Santa Rosa pace unless this is somehow a lot more complex than the average job.

My biggest concern on this entire project is access. We have been locked in, and locked out of this facility in the past, and their staffing levels are somewhat a joke currently. Last time we were there we got locked in while they did some *investigation*. It was absurd, and they did not learn anything by preventing us from leaving . They took down our names.. .I think I could have got away with Barney Rubble, but the main issue is that we sat there for 45 minutes while they did...????

Santa Rosa's finest did not ask us any questions, and did not tell us really tell us what was going on. There was some suspicions activity in the parking area, and a truck was left there (seems like good evidence to me!). All we were told is that they were waiting for someone else to show up to do the investigation. I never saw anyone new one the scene, and they finally just let everyone out, and asked for our names. This was around 8:30pm in the evening.

The other major concern I have is staffing, and competency. Stalla honestly is the most committed and reliable worker they have, and that is two days a week. If they lock this place down, and don't get some competent help, getting into the facility may become a huge hassle.

Imagine an instructor meeting some AOW students for a night dive on Friday evening, but wait, they can't get to the water! Where is the staff that is suppose to be manning the facility?? ... no where to be found... With an almost nonexistent week day load, are they going to man this place weekdays for the occasional diver, or LDS that wants to dive there? I think that would be highly unlikely.. .so then what for those that do venture down during the week?

As it stands, they have not done a very good job (read BAD) in handling things with the nonrestrictive system they have in place. The same holds true for Perch. We went to dive there on Sunday, and the gates were locked because there was a funeral, and the gate keeper.... FORGOT! :11:

Obviously Santa Rosa is taking this seriously, but I sometimes wonder if they will run out of money before all this ever get's done, and one way of viewing this is that may not be a bad thing!

Last edited:
Last time we were there we got locked in while they did some *investigation*.

Ah, yes! I was there for that, too! That was a bit ridiculous to hold us there for over an hour (I thought) because we might have seen something. Why didn't they just ask us, and if not, let us go?

Ron, I completely agree with your worry about access. Seriously, the big draw is DIVERS! Have they thought about talking to any shop owners or instructors (or even us peon divers) to see what our needs might be?

Is anyone talking to Richard Delgado? (I think his job is city tourism.)

We got out of the water and the cops were there with the gate locked, so they could have already been holding folks for a while.

I have Richard Delgado's number, and have spoken with him in the past. He appears to be a good guy, and highly interested in this projects success, and the current divers at the Hole as well. He has made sure that the gates were unlocked for us in the past.

Maybe I should call him and ask them if they want diver input, assuming I can find his number! :D It does sound like they have the diving public engaged in ABQ however, so I'll wait to hear more from Kevin before engaging in active involvement without invitation.

It would help to get some idea of the scope of what we are discussing. I think a lot of these decisions have been made, or that is how it was presented to me.

For example I suggested that they put an access gate at the entrance rather than walking though a store, but that decision has been made, or that is the last thing I heard ..... this IS Santa Rosa, they change their minds a lot.

Kevin, can you answer the first question I asked above? If they are starting this process of how to flow traffic, and what is needed again with diver input, that is great. I'm not sure that is the case however.

Has the construction started? Any good progress been made? I've not been down there for a few months.

The woman that come to our shop was asking questions about our needs as divers (she dives too). There was some confusion about the final plans, as some things have not been determined yet. Their planning group was scheduled to meet with the architect the next week for some face time.
The group we had ALL expressed a total lack of enthusiasm for the walk thru plan.

The last time I was there, they were working on getting the cassions down for the foundation. They had two large pipe sleeves down into the ground pumping "excess" water out of the area.

Maybe I should call him and ask them if they want diver input, assuming I can find his number! :D It does sound like they have the diving public engaged in ABQ however, so I'll wait to hear more from Kevin before engaging in active involvement without invitation.

I'll drop Marianne a email this evening asking about the progress.

I mentioned at our meeting that she sign up for an account here so we could ask questions, but I think DandyDon scared her....... :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom