Inquiry on lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I meant angle of refraction
Snell's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The way things look bigger underwater. I guess it would make your dive light look tighter as well. I had never thought of that...

Tom

oh, you should get that coming and going on the air-water interface in the light itself and in your mask. so i guess it should be tighter, but it should look the same.

I don't like short canisters - the long hose tends to slip out. Apparently it has never happened to you but I can assure you that it does happen. For me, if the hose tends to slip out, the canister is too short. Never had problem with longer (9A) canister.

I have DR MR11 light and a Salvo 21W with 9Ah canister. Its not so much that the DR is short (it is) but conflicts with the wing can more readily force the hose out from under it. Its esp prominent on 55lb explorer wings, my midget 38lb explorer doesn't seem to have this issue at all though and can size seems irrelevant.

I have DR MR11 light and a Salvo 21W with 9Ah canister. Its not so much that the DR is short (it is) but conflicts with the wing can more readily force the hose out from under it. Its esp prominent on 55lb explorer wings, my midget 38lb explorer doesn't seem to have this issue at all though and can size seems irrelevant.

Hmm. I guess I'll have to do some experimentation. :D

I have problem with the long hose slipping out when I use the DR canister with my Eclipse 30. I only borrow the DR light if my Salvo is out of action so basically I've never actually tried the DR canister with my Evolve 40 or my buddy's Explorer 40.

Hmm. I guess I'll have to do some experimentation. :D

I have problem with the long hose slipping out when I use the DR canister with my Eclipse 30. I only borrow the DR light if my Salvo is out of action so basically I've never actually tried the DR canister with my Evolve 40 or my buddy's Explorer 40.

Its my backup light now too. But I did need it in MX for several days last trip and at least with the old tiny 38lb explorer the shorter can length wasn't really noticable.

Hello, I came back from Florida recently from Extream Exposure Dive Shop, this is down the street from Halcyon. Thay have if you call, the the old style scout back up lights for $50. They are only selling these at this price to get rid of the older style. The old style is the same light as the new style in function and perfomance. The parts are interchangable. They really only changed the look of the handle.
I bought one and it performes much better than the Dive Rite I have of the same style. My Dive Buddy has the Salvo RAT light and it is about the same in perfomance. The Halcyon is also upgradeable at any time to LED with the use of the UK LED reflector that you can get any where.
I am going to E-Bay my Dive Rite and get a secound Halcyon due to the price.

or get a regular Halcyon Scout and put a UK SL4 eLED module in it.

The Halcyon is also upgradeable at any time to LED with the use of the UK LED reflector that you can get any where.

Where can I get this Underwater Kinetics module and/or reflector?

I've been looking and cannot find in the net where I can get these parts. Also, it doesn't make sense to me that the 4 cell UK module works with the 3 cell halcyon. Anyways, please let me know.

Thanks
Colin

Where can I get this Underwater Kinetics module and/or reflector? I've been looking and cannot find in the net where I can get these parts

One of my local LDSs sells them. I can't find the eLED module on the Scuba Toys website but they should be able to get it for you as they sell the full range of UK products.

You may also order direct from UK. See link below.

Underwater Kinetics - Lights, Cases, Knives and Accessories since 1971

Also, it doesn't make sense to me that the 4 cell UK module works with the 3 cell halcyon. Anyways, please let me know.

Well I have two of the UK SL4 eLED modules in my Scouts. Other 3 cell lights such as the Salvo Rat also use the same LED module. They work.

Halcyon has recently announced their own 3W LED module for the Scout (there also a new Halcyon 3W LED module for the Mini Scout that is not interchangeable with the regular Scout) so you could try those too.

http://www.extreme-exposure.com/?q=node/1162

The old Halcyon 1W LED module has been discontinued.

After reading this thread, I decided to go with a Salvo Rat for my primary light, and I have to say that I couldn't be happier with my choice! I got a good deal on the light, but it would be worth every penny at full price....eventually it will become a back-up light, but for now, it's a pretty kick-@ss primary light :D

My personal favorite, the OxyCheq Raider 3W LED. For a goodman handle for the same light, get the "light sock" from OxyCheq as well.

Here's an "interesting" option:

image7581.jpg

DLX-2 Dive Light X-tension

This is a kit that converts a backup light into a canister. Obviously it doesn't burn any longer, and the 'canister' formed by three C cells may not hold your long hose. On the other hand... You can practice your DIR skills just as if you had a canister light. When you upgrade, you can sell the kit to another penny-pinching student and your wanna-be canister light goes back to being a backup. Fits the Halycon Scout amongst others.

Let the comments fly!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom