Installing Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manhattandiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to install spring straps on a pair of jet fins. I understand that I need to drill out the rivited heads of the existing pins in order to install the new straps. However, since the pins are made of stainless steel, the drill bits I have barely make a dent in them. Is there a specific type of drill bit that works best for this? Are there any other ways of removing the existing pins? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I just used a pair of needle nose vice grips to pull the U-clip apart from the pin, I recall that it came apart very easily without damaging the fin itself. The pin/U-clip connection is nothing more than slight squashing of the pin after the U-clip is put on..................

The trick for me was using large slip joint pliers to attach the spring clips...............

Hope this helps....................M

Attachments

• 180px-Water_pump_pliers.jpg
    180px-Water_pump_pliers.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 39
A bit designed for metal work? I just used pliers and broke them off the hinge. Be carefull not to torque the rubber as you might tear it.

If you have a Dremel tool you can easily grind the end of the pin off.

Thanks for all of the replies. I borrowed a punch and after a few good whacks got the pins to come out.

I used a dremel cutting wheel to cut through the post, after spending a few minutes grappling with pliers and worrying I was going to damage the rubber, the Dremel was easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom