Instant Underwater buddy? Just add water!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceBergSlim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Mostly I dive solo. I prefer that for more reasons than I would like to get into right now.

Today on the boat there was a nice man who was solo as well. He seemed to have a little experience but his gear was not well configured in my opinion.

During our ride out we had a nice chat but never discussed a buddy situation or dive plan.

During my dive I was surprised to find him hanging over my shoulder at every turn. I could easily see that he wanted to bud up to me for some kind of non-existent safety factor.

I dive alone for a reason. Plus I was was on mix and had twin 104's. He had a single 120 and of course no way to keep up gas-wise.

My question is: Do you see it common for people in the water to try to hang to another diver as a buddy with no true dive plan? We never discussed diving together.

He just showed up.

He was a nice guy but I would not want to have any responsibility for his safety.

I think it is rude to say the least to impose upon another like that. If you have an emergency and come to ask for help, that is a different matter.

I was diving with two other buddies and we ran into a guy underwater who was following us around. I checked his pressure gauge and he was LOW. I started to lead him back to the ascent line, but he got skeered and headed for the surface. The guys on the boat told me that he surfaced out of air. :shakehead:

I had another situation where I came across a diver from our party that stayed in the water while her original buddies decided to leave. I think she wanted more bottome time, so I gladly donated one of my buddies to her and let them toodle off together.

Other than that, I find it is uncommon.

Had it happen only once, and it was also the only real OOG I've been involved in.

The guy's buddy wasn't feeling good, so the buddy surfaced, and the guy just joined our group. Later in the dive, he calmly came up and gave me the OOG sign, and I handed him my long hose. It was all so calm and easy that it felt like a drill, and I had to look at his gauge to believe he was really OOG.

I think if it happened now, there would be some wet notes going back and forth for a bit.

Mostly I dive solo. I prefer that for more reasons than I would like to get into right now.

Today on the boat there was a nice man who was solo as well. He seemed to have a little experience but his gear was not well configured in my opinion.

During our ride out we had a nice chat but never discussed a buddy situation or dive plan.

During my dive I was surprised to find him hanging over my shoulder at every turn. I could easily see that he wanted to bud up to me for some kind of non-existent safety factor.

I dive alone for a reason. Plus I was was on mix and had twin 104's. He had a single 120 and of course no way to keep up gas-wise.

My question is: Do you see it common for people in the water to try to hang to another diver as a buddy with no true dive plan? We never discussed diving together.

He just showed up.

He was a nice guy but I would not want to have any responsibility for his safety.

So did you have to end your dive early to come up with him? Did he go OOA, or have some kind of emergency? What a butt-head. I can't believe he dove near you. Probably ruined everything. That really sucks man.

maybe he just wanted to hang out with you? did he require your assistance for anything? did you ascend together? if not, then I don't see the big deal. maybe he knew he couldn't keep up gas wise and figured when he was running low, he'd see ya later. I guess it's a little odd if he was literally by your side the entire time, giving hand signals, asking about air and checking if you're ok.

What a butt-head. I can't believe he dove near you. Probably ruined everything. That really sucks man.

Yeah, I hate it when there are other people in the ocean!

:D

Back
Top Bottom