Instructor Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wbarrie

Registered
Reaction score
I am just curios, I have been looking around on the Internet for instructor certification rates with PADI, but they seem to be all over the place. Any ideas of how much and how long the course should be?

wbarrie once bubbled...
I am just curios, I have been looking around on the Internet for instructor certification rates with PADI, but they seem to be all over the place. Any ideas of how much and how long the course should be?

I took the PADI IDC and IE in early '96. The IDC was with the president of PADI and his wife..cost $900.00. Took 15 days. The IE took 2 days and cost $320.00. Keep in mind this was 7 1/2 yrs. ago.

Today I think you can get thru the IDC and IE in about a week to 9 days. The cost of most IDC's runs around a grand and I have no idea what the IE cost now.

The prices did not and does not include the instructor manual and a few other books. Plan on 200 smackers on them.

Having just gone through it, I can give you a price breakdown:

IDC: approx $1000 plus $90 registration fee
Books: $425
IE: $425

So you're talking about $2000 to get from PADI DM to OWSI minimum (you must be a PADI DM or Instructor level from another agency to enroll in an IDC). This was the price through a local shop owned by a CD, if you go somewhere else, such as a large training schools, you can expect to spend much more.

Also, insurance is anywhere from $475 to $800 and yearly renewals are $150.

Ben

OneBrightGator once bubbled...
Having just gone through it, I can give you a price breakdown:

IDC: approx $1000 plus $90 registration fee
Books: $425
IE: $425

So you're talking about $2000 to get from PADI DM to OWSI minimum (you must be a PADI DM or Instructor level from another agency to enroll in an IDC). This was the price through a local shop owned by a CD, if you go somewhere else, such as a large training schools, you can expect to spend much more.

Also, insurance is anywhere from $475 to $800 and yearly renewals are $150.

Ben

IE's are 425 now? MY GOD! Books are obviously more pricey than when I went thru it. I can't belive I failed to mention the insurance. It used to be that the first year of annual memebership was covered in the IE fee. Is that no longer true?
How long does it take now? I've gone thru several cross-over IDC's but they usually only take 2-4 days. How long is an IDC now? Or rather..How short is it!

The total IDC is 7 days: 1st 4 days is AI, last 3 days is OWSI.

Prices for the IE, various registration fees and course materials from PADI are set by PADI... we at the IT level have NO control over that.

Meanwhile, pricing on the IDC is irrelevant. What does count is the INSTRUCTOR TRAINER him/herself and his/her people staffing the IDC.

One should thoroughly interview the CD to find out:

-References: talk to former IDC Candates & see how effective their training was. What did they learn? What are they doing now?

-What is your goal for becoming an Instructor? Choose a CD who can help prepare you to achieve these goals.

- All CDs have the skill sets & ability to train you to pass the IE. But what about AFTER the IE? Can they help you progress and grow as an Instructor?

Quality counts. Price is secondary.

A CDC (Career Development Center), or "Big Instructor School" as some would call them...such as Pro Dive, offer all inclusive programs. For example @ Pro Dive:

IDC - 10 Days>> 4 ocean boat dives
Emergency First Responder Instructor - 1 day
IE - 2 Days

12-13 days to complete this program. Cost is $2390 which includes: all course tuitions, books, and all fees including the PADI Instructor Examination fee, and transportation to & from IE.

Not too bad.. I guess.

'Fan:
Membership is included in the IE fees... it can't be cheap to fly those guys around the country week in and week out, plus I've heard it's not the most desirable job.

Sub:
My CD was great, she was harder on me than my IE, in fact the IE was a piece of cake compared to the beating I got in my IDC, then she was nice enough to hire me, so I must be doing something right and I definitely can get her help/advice when I need it.

Tekk:
There are benefits of somewhere like ProDive, including career placement and the guys in our IE said they experienced a lot of different teaching styles from different CDs, however they did everything identically and seemed more like going through the motions required to pass then having a personal teaching style.

Ben

Going over and over the material needed to pass the IE..might actually be a good thing...
You have your whole life to develop your own teaching style..if you happen to be young..(which I am).. and plenty of people to critique you..

Practice & Patience Makes Pefect..

Well, I see it more in terms of what they are teaching, I have heard not-so-good things about practices at places like that, I think in my IDC I learned how to teach and how to think, I don't know if someone could say the same thing about those Instructor Mills. Also, seems pretty unfair to your first classes to test out your teaching on them, obviously there is going to be a learning curve, but AFAIK the shorter the better.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom